#1 Kris Marteinsson

Kris Marteinsson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts
  • LocationSalmon Arm, BC

Posted 05 January 2018 - 12:38 PM

Just recently installed 2018. I'm a new user and am trying to set up as many default settings as I can. I see that you can get the System Options to come into the Drawing Options by using 'Reset to System' but I don't see any way to get the System Options into Project Options. It seems crazy to have to set up all the settings twice. Am I missing something?

Second question is - If I alter the pen settings entries, are there some settings which I should NOT change. For example, in Revit, pens 1 & 2 are used by the system for various things which you wouldn't want to change. Are there any potential issues with any pen settings in Softplan.

Third question - 2x8, 2x10, and 2x12's in Canada have a dimension of *1/4", not *1/2" as is everywhere in Softplan. Is there a easy way to alter these dimensions other than going into every occurrence of these lumber sizes. Not looking forward to that.

Kris

#2 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,092 posts
  • LocationBrockville, Ontario, Canada

Posted 05 January 2018 - 01:57 PM

Yes, you are missing something ...

System options are the set of DEFAULTS, that are used WHEN you create either a PROJECT or a DRAWING. You should set these to YOUR personal preferences for the system options when you first load Softplan. They reflect the settings that you would use on the majority of your projects, and will obviously evolve over time as you decide that your personal preferences should change.

You only need to change the specific project options when the project differs from your DEFAULTS, and typically you would do that as soon as you open the project.

Drawing options would only require changing for a one off setting on a specific drawing.

For the 2" x 10" etc. sizes, you can set them in SYSTEM OPTIONS > MATERIAL DIMENSIONS > And typically FLOOR SYSTEM OPTIONS (and ROOF OPTIONS). However, as I said above, it's a good idea to go through ALL the SYSTEM OPTIONS and set EVERYTHING to your preferences. Even then for the next few weeks/months you'll come across something in the SYSTEM OPTIONS that you'll decide to adjust.

The ONLY time Softplan uses SYSTEM OPTIONS is when it creates a project. It just loads the current system options as the PROJECT OPTIONS, and then all the drawings are created from the PROJECT OPTIONS. Typically once the SYSTEM OPTIONS are set up to your own SPECIFICATIONS you don't need to touch them again, except for adding personal preference wall types to your system.

As regards pen settings, you can change anything to your personal preferences. Unlike AUTOCAD, the pen colours are actually meaningless, they are NOT tied to specific pens, you set the pen settings in PEN SETUP and set the print pens in the CONFIGURE PRINT PEN STYLES.

Keith

There are 10 types of people in this world ....... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Softplan user since version 5.5.2.5

www.homehardwarekingston.ca

#3 Kris Marteinsson

Kris Marteinsson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts
  • LocationSalmon Arm, BC

Posted 05 January 2018 - 03:03 PM

Keith,

Good explanation. I created a new project and can see how the system options propagated into the project/drawing options. I am going through the system options and will get through them ALL.

Thanks for your help.

#4 John Atchley

John Atchley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
  • LocationNW CT

Posted 06 March 2020 - 10:27 AM

Just catching up on this after many many years. It sounds like there is no need to create a template if I have setup my system options correctly.

Update: I guess I still need to do some template setting up if I want certain items to be the way I want them, for instance if I want all glazing to be a certain color and opacity

I still dont understand how to reset an existing drawing to my new system options. I did this with a drawing and although the name  of a  wall changed   it did not reflect system definition

New Update: It seems the system options didnt change. I thought I had defined walls there but maybe not. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users