• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Sheri Shvonski

Sheri Shvonski

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 12 January 2018 - 02:23 PM

Hi -- a newbie here to the forum.  I am drawing a contemporary home that has a vaulted ceiling which creates a 2nd floor balcony.  Can someone please advise as to how to draw the clerestory that would be above the balcony (for a span of 10').  I imagine it would be similar to a dormer?  The other thing is that it will not span the entire roof, so just a section in the middle will jut out over the balcony beneath.  I've drawn a lot but mostly cookie cutter type and now I am under deadline.  Please help.

Here are pics of front, back and side:   (Not my plan -- I am revising)  But this part is not changing and it is exactly what I need to draw.

IMG_5449.JPG IMG_5450.JPG IMG_5451.JPG

#2 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,098 posts
  • LocationBrockville, Ontario, Canada

Posted 12 January 2018 - 02:33 PM

Similar to a dormer yes ... If you use the dormer command to add the walls in the roof, you can delete the standard roof and adapt your roof to suit.

Keith

There are 10 types of people in this world ....... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Softplan user since version 5.5.2.5

www.homehardwarekingston.ca

#3 Sheri Shvonski

Sheri Shvonski

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 12 January 2018 - 02:54 PM

Thank you Keith!

#4 Sheri Shvonski

Sheri Shvonski

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 12 January 2018 - 08:39 PM

Keith -- do you know how I'd get the rear of the roof to extend forward beyond the ridge and to the front?  If you see the pics I uploaded (and I don't know why they need to be rotated) you'll see what  mean.  The dormer I tried to add didn't come out this way.  Any suggestions are appreciated.

#5 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,098 posts
  • LocationBrockville, Ontario, Canada

Posted 13 January 2018 - 11:37 AM

You would have to put a separate roof over the dormer. Break the rear wall into two OR Add something to reference a roof to on the same plane and height as the rear wall (softplan doesn't like referencing two roofs to the same wall) and then add another roof from the new reference to the front dormer wall.

Keith

There are 10 types of people in this world ....... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Softplan user since version 5.5.2.5

www.homehardwarekingston.ca

#6 Sheri Shvonski

Sheri Shvonski

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 11:59 AM

Thank you again!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users