26 replies to this topic

#1 Stacey Gaylord

Stacey Gaylord

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 24 January 2018 - 07:59 PM

I am looking to take my rendering capabilities to the next level, any guidance or suggestions are welcome.  I attached a rendering that i recently finished as a sample of where my skill level currently is.

Attached Files

• Ben Ginther, Allen McDonnell and Brent Hyndman like this
Computer Specs:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700 8 Core, 3600
GPU: GeForce GTX 1060
Mother board: Micro Star MS-7C37
RAM: G.Skill Rip Jaws 32GB 
SSD: Crucial 1TB SSD
Backup SSD: Crucial 2TB SSD
Power Supply: 750W Gold Modular
Liquid Cooler: Corsair Hydro H115i PRO RGB AIO
Mouse: Microsoft Mobile 3500
Keyboard: Microsoft Comfort 5000
Primary Monitor: LG 32UD99-W 32" 4k UHD IPS
Secondary Monitor: HP Pavilion 32"

Software:
Softplan 2020+
Sketchup Pro
Twin Motion

#2 Martin Livingston

Martin Livingston

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 693 posts
  • LocationHalifax, Nova Scotia

Posted 24 January 2018 - 09:27 PM

No attachment?

• Allen McDonnell likes this

Five out of four people are not very good with fractions

www.cresco.ca

#3 Martin Livingston

Martin Livingston

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 693 posts

Posted 25 January 2018 - 01:01 PM

Hi,

I can offer a few suggestions if you like. Roll back the reflectivity on the glazing to something a bit more subtle. Lower the camera to something approximating eye level. Stick to the better quality billboard trees, plants and bushes. I found some free, good quality billboard trees online and downloaded them. A little trick is to flip them left to right as required to have the sunlight direction match the lighting on the image. Set the sun at a height that makes the shadows appear under eaves, trees, etc. Don't rely too much on head lighting. The ambient and headlight values usually work best when the are close to the same unless you are going for a twilight shot. I have attached the settings for the attached rendering. Try to pick a background that is close to the scale of the house so it does not over shadow the house as a focal point. Add some trees in the foreground to frame the shot. I usually have a few branches extending in front of the house to give the illusion of depth. Scatter a few larger billboard trees on the sides and towards the back to break up the transition between the property and the background image.Mix up the planting beds a bit and, again. use the billboard symbols - lots more choice and better results. Get yourself a seamless grass texture that has some "roughness" to it.

Hope some of these things help.

Cheers!

Attached Files

• Tom Rogers, Allen McDonnell, Brent Hyndman and 1 other like this

www.cresco.ca

#4 Martin Livingston

Martin Livingston

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 693 posts

Posted 25 January 2018 - 01:08 PM

Here is the site plan for the rendering

Attached Files

• Attached File  site.jpg   72.43KB   8 downloads

• Brent Hyndman likes this

www.cresco.ca

#5 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,096 posts
  • LocationBrockville, Ontario, Canada

Posted 25 January 2018 - 02:25 PM

The camera angle looks to be a little (wide) distorted - Although it could be just the particular angle it's on ... Try for a 60 degree angle of view for exterior, it looks more natural.

Keith

There are 10 types of people in this world ....... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Softplan user since version 5.5.2.5

www.homehardwarekingston.ca

#6 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,096 posts

Posted 25 January 2018 - 04:07 PM

My personal preference for glazing is dark blue rather than clear. Typically, in the daylight, you can't see into windows, they are typically very dark and the slight reflection of sky gives then a slightly blue cast until you actually focus on the reflection. Have a look at photographs of homes taken from the street, Generally the windows don't appear clear.

Attached File  2018.01.25_17h10m12s_001.png   150.87KB   17 downloads

Note: This is a random photograph pulled from the internet, and is included just to show glazing colour.

Keith

There are 10 types of people in this world ....... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

#7 Allen McDonnell

Allen McDonnell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 955 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 25 January 2018 - 04:08 PM

Stacey and Martin....great work.  Im thankful for every drafter that cares about detail and wants to take their drawings to the next level.  Way to go.

#8 Allen McDonnell

Allen McDonnell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 955 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 26 January 2018 - 07:29 AM

Keith, I go back and forth all the time on this.  It almost seems that on some color schemes your correct but on other color schemes the dark blue looks funny or almost like you are literally painting the glazing blue.....Here is a very typical house glazing done both ways...Im sure you'll pick the dark blue but i just dont know.  

Attached Files

• Attached File  3.jpg   62.92KB   10 downloads

#9 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,096 posts

Posted 26 January 2018 - 07:53 AM

Yes, I'd pick the blue ... the only time I'd use clear is in a night rendering with the interior lights turned on. Again, as a personal preference only, I think the clear just looks wrong. Glass doesn't look clear on a photograph because of the reflections. In daylight it's more like a mirror.

Keith

#10 Allen McDonnell

Allen McDonnell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 955 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 26 January 2018 - 08:33 AM

Yep i agree....

Night renderings are the way to go.  

#11 Trevor Bauer

Trevor Bauer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 07 February 2018 - 02:58 PM

Stacey,

Nice looking home. I do renderings for all of our homes for the brochures we hand out. It's a real learning curve as to what looks good and what looks better. Some of the things I do:

1. I do use the reflectivity on the glazing but I cut it to 70%. It softens the look in the windows.

2. On lighting, I don't do the custom lighting at all. If you just check the lighting in render mode, and check shadows, it will give you some depth to the house for more of a 3D effect.

3. Keith is right amount the angle on the house. We have attached garages on all our homes and the gables on them are always the tallest. i angle the camera so it starts on the other side and puts the garage on the far side. On your house my eye is drawn to the two large gables on the right and the house gets a little lost.

4. You should always make sure your front door is in view in the rendering, even with the angle. This "invites" the person into the home.

5. You did some nice brick detail around the foundation but your landscaping hides most of it. Use more plants and less bushes to showcase the brick.

6. Pull back from the house a bit. Too close.

7. Someone suggested a tree in the front yard so the shadow, but not the tree, falls a bit over the front of the house. I started this a little bit ago and it adds a nice touch.

8. Lastly, when you find a color combination that works, write it down so you can use it again and have less experimentation.

Good luck and your first attempt looks a whole lot better than mine did. I have it on my wall to remind me how far I have come.

• Tom Rogers likes this

#12 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,096 posts

Posted 07 February 2018 - 03:03 PM

... Lastly, when you find a color combination that works, write it down ...

You don't need to write it down, you can just save it as a MATERIAL FILE. You can save and load as many different schemes as you want. They definitely save a lot of time changing the look of a project.

Keith

#13 Trevor Bauer

Trevor Bauer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 07 February 2018 - 03:54 PM

Thanks, Keith. I did not know that. I'll try it on my next one. And it will save a lot of time.

#14 Tom Rogers

Tom Rogers

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,159 posts
  • LocationVilla Rica, Georgia

Posted 16 February 2018 - 02:45 PM

Martin-did you find the background trees on any particular site or just searched around until you found something you liked?

"remember... what we are building today, should be what we want in the future"​
Version 10 to Version 2024+ and beyond
www.residentialproductions.com

#15 Sam Allen

Sam Allen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 133 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, Texas

Posted 17 February 2018 - 11:39 AM

Hey Ron...I would love to see some of your brochure renderings!!!

#16 Michael Roman

Michael Roman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
  • LocationPeshtigo, WI

Posted 18 February 2018 - 04:59 PM

I love all of the advice that is given out on the forums.  It truly is a wonderful thing to have the more experienced users give us the tips to make out projects better.

Thank You!  I have used the suggestions above to tweek a rendering that I am working on for one of my customers.  I don't render in Softplan but the suggestions given by our members can truly be used in any software package.  Keep the tips coming and thanks again.

Attached Files

#17 Allen McDonnell

Allen McDonnell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 955 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 19 February 2018 - 07:43 AM

Michael, good work.  What program(s) do you render in?

#18 Sam Allen

Sam Allen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 133 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, Texas

Posted 19 February 2018 - 01:36 PM

Mr. Roman...I'd like to know what grass texture you used.   It's great....

#19 Michael Roman

Michael Roman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
  • LocationPeshtigo, WI

Posted 19 February 2018 - 04:41 PM

I export my Softplan model to Sketchup and use V-Ray as the renderer.  I think it is a great combination of programs.  They work well together.

As far as the grass texture, believe it or not, it is actually the texture that Softplan uses for the ground.  When I bring it into Sketchup I keep the same texture but add a Vray object to the scene that actually creates the blades of grass.  The grass is 3D grass over the top of the Softplan texture.  It turns out nice.  Very hard to find a good grass texture.

• Tom Rogers and Allen McDonnell like this

#20 Tom Rogers

Tom Rogers

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,159 posts
  • LocationVilla Rica, Georgia

Posted 19 February 2018 - 04:53 PM

I agree.  If someone has a folder of good textures and/or symbols I bet there is a market for them (hint hint) 

• Allen McDonnell likes this

"remember... what we are building today, should be what we want in the future"​
Version 10 to Version 2024+ and beyond
www.residentialproductions.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users