#1 Dave Pazyniak

Dave Pazyniak

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 402 posts

Posted 14 March 2018 - 06:11 AM

Good Morning,

I can not get lower trim on this gable vent.  I have changed it to a window, but still no luck.  I have changed the lower trim on the window by the door to confirm I am making the change correctly.  I opened another project, and I can edit the lower trim in a similar gable vent.  Has anyone encountered this before?

Thanks,

Dave

Attached Files

#2 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,092 posts
  • LocationBrockville, Ontario, Canada

Posted 14 March 2018 - 06:40 AM

Try using a custom exterior trim trim and Select material as custom. You should be able to change it that way.

Actually reading your post again, I assume that IS the way you are doing it.

Keith

There are 10 types of people in this world ....... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Softplan user since version 5.5.2.5

www.homehardwarekingston.ca

#3 Dave Pazyniak

Dave Pazyniak

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 402 posts

Posted 14 March 2018 - 06:54 AM

That works on the regular window in this project, and on a gable vent in another project, but not on this one.  I does work on the side (regular) gable, but this one is a false gable...

Dave

#4 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,092 posts
  • LocationBrockville, Ontario, Canada

Posted 14 March 2018 - 07:39 AM

I'd delete it, and re-add it.

You can put it in as an elevation opening and edit it to add exterior trim, and then edit the exterior trim, or put it in the gale provided by roof, or try extend the wall to the roof and add it in a regular wall. One or the other method my work better than the others. Depending on how you create your elevations.

Keith

There are 10 types of people in this world ....... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Softplan user since version 5.5.2.5

www.homehardwarekingston.ca

#5 Brent Hyndman

Brent Hyndman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,549 posts

Posted 15 March 2018 - 10:34 AM

Hi Dave. If you could please create a ticket with the vent that is not trimming as desired, we will take a look.

Was the vent added as an opening through Draw- Opening- Vent, or added under the edit for the Gable?

Thanks.

Brent.

#6 Sam Morgan

Sam Morgan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 842 posts

Posted 15 March 2018 - 12:59 PM

What kind of material is on the wall below?  I have this all the time when I have brick or stone below.  That vent, window, whatever wants to put a sill under and won't let me get rid of it no matter what I've tried.  Exact same issue on a current project I'm working on that has brick below the gable and siding in the gable.

#7 Brent Hyndman

Brent Hyndman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,549 posts

Posted 15 March 2018 - 02:08 PM

If an opening is drawn in a brick wall, the opening defaults to having a sill under the Display tab. Turning the sill off there will allow the Exterior trim tab to have custom trim added below the opening. 

I'd be interested to know the procedure used to add and edit the vent to make sure that we don't have a common problem here.

#8 Dave Pazyniak

Dave Pazyniak

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 402 posts

Posted 16 March 2018 - 10:08 AM

I have just submitted a ticket.  opening is added in a sided wall as one of the options in the edit gable dialog box.  Thank you all!

#9 Brent Hyndman

Brent Hyndman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,549 posts

Posted 16 March 2018 - 03:04 PM

Thanks for sending the ticket Dave. The vent has a sill on it which is blocking the trim from going across the bottom. Adding the False Gable again seems to work for me. I have logged a change order to take a further look into how it was added. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users