#1 Tom Rogers

Tom Rogers

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,159 posts
  • LocationVilla Rica, Georgia

Posted 28 March 2018 - 08:21 AM

I need to create a foundation plan from a basement plan.   In doing so I thought I could use the floor system mode to create it.  For most part I can get what I am looking to do work.  However when I go to flooring mode the foundation walls display as dashed.  Is that a way to have the display solid in this mode?  I am not seeing anything.

"remember... what we are building today, should be what we want in the future"​
Version 10 to Version 2024+ and beyond
www.residentialproductions.com

#2 Tim Stockton

Tim Stockton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 312 posts
  • LocationWichita, KS

Posted 28 March 2018 - 08:58 AM

Tom - I don't see anything either.  I think that the walls are treated like an overlay - there aren't any options to change the display in layers, visible items, etc.  You may have to copy your basement plan to get the look you want.  The downside to that is if changes get made down the road, you will have to make the changes in 2 places to keep them in sync.

#3 Tom Rogers

Tom Rogers

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,159 posts

Posted 28 March 2018 - 09:21 AM

Exactly Tim, that was what I was afraid of.  Was hoping there was a setting or work around.  However I dont seem to see it.  I might have to figure something out with layers or options; really want to avoid copying the plan. 

#4 Steven Kirchoff

Steven Kirchoff

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
  • LocationSt. Cloud, Minnesota

Posted 28 March 2018 - 09:38 AM

Tom I run in to this same problem.

Because I copy the basement plan for my foundation layout. If changes are necessary I have to do it twice.

In fact I'm going through it right now and I am finding it very frustrating.

May Softplan will syc the two in the next upgrade.

#5 Yvon Gonthier

Yvon Gonthier

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,288 posts
  • LocationOttawa

Posted 28 March 2018 - 10:13 AM

Could you work with Building Options or Layers and put the items that relate to the basement plan only on that Building Option or Layer so you can turn them off for your foundation plan or that's a problem for your exterior walls?

#6 Jim Johnson

Jim Johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 289 posts

Posted 28 March 2018 - 11:31 AM

Could you make a "Custom Visibility Mode" work?

#7 Tom Rogers

Tom Rogers

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,159 posts

Posted 28 March 2018 - 12:05 PM

Yes, I think I can make it darn close using a combination of a custom mode (which allows my walls to come in the way I need them) and options and layers.  

Now it would be nice to create more than just 5 custom modes.  I dont need 256 but it would nice to have about a dozen or so

• Jim Johnson likes this

#8 Martin Livingston

Martin Livingston

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 691 posts
  • LocationHalifax, Nova Scotia

Posted 29 March 2018 - 07:13 AM

I gave up jumping through hoops to create a decent, easy to read foundation plan Now I just create a new drawing with a circle reference point, overlay the basement floor and trace my foundation walls. It gives me the clean drawing I need for the field work to go in accurately.

Attached Files

Five out of four people are not very good with fractions

www.cresco.ca

#9 Tom Rogers

Tom Rogers

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,159 posts

Posted 29 March 2018 - 10:22 AM

I was able to make it work with building options and custom drawing mode. Not the best way to do (IMO) it but it works.

Follow up question/suggestion-I am currently using the slab footing command to create a square footer located under a point load on a slab but it would be nice to have a command add that.  As I write this I guess I could just create a symbol (although it would not necessarily work the best with material lists)  

#10 Brent Hyndman

Brent Hyndman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,549 posts

Posted 29 March 2018 - 10:28 AM

Hi Tom.

If you could send a ticket with a completed Basement and Foundation plan in it I would be interested to see what you are doing.

A list of steps that you are currently following from start to finish would also be helpful to better understand the differences between the Foundation and Basement Plans.

Thanks.

Brent.

#11 Yvon Gonthier

Yvon Gonthier

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,288 posts
  • LocationOttawa

Posted 29 March 2018 - 10:32 AM

Would usung a post with footing as setting the post to 0.125" x 0.125" x 0" high work for you if you don't want a post?

#12 James Ryan

James Ryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts
  • LocationEaston, MA

Posted 29 March 2018 - 12:23 PM

can I ask a stupid question? what is the difference between a basement plan and a foundation plan

thanks

James Ryan

V 2018+ .3.3

#13 Yvon Gonthier

Yvon Gonthier

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,288 posts
  • LocationOttawa

Posted 29 March 2018 - 01:00 PM

They refer to a foundation plan more as a structural plan; concrete walls, posts, footings ,,, and the basement plan includes interior walls, stairs, etc...

#14 Tom Rogers

Tom Rogers

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,159 posts

Posted 29 March 2018 - 01:16 PM

Exactly Yvon.  Yes James that is how my builder wants done.  Many of my plans are done where they are all in the same drawing (interior walls plus all the structural information.  However up north (where this builder is located) they will pour the foudation walls and set all the structural pieces (posts, gooting, beams, plumbing rough-ins, etc.).  That sheet will be given to the concrete guys.  Then there is a lower level plan that looks similar to standard floor plan with the interior walls, doors windows.  The framers would have this sheet.

#15 Tom Rogers

Tom Rogers

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,159 posts

Posted 29 March 2018 - 01:19 PM

I can look at doing it that way with the post Yvon. The point load is actually on another project (ranch on slab) so not to get confused with my foundation/basement situation.  It would need to be put on the floor plan but not show the footing until switched over to the slab plan in which at that time the footing would show only

#16 Tom Rogers

Tom Rogers

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,159 posts

Posted 29 March 2018 - 02:41 PM

Sent Brent.   It is ticket #30950

#17 Mark Petri

Mark Petri

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,497 posts
  • LocationEvergreen, CO

Posted 29 March 2018 - 02:56 PM

I typically draw everything related to the foundation and it's structure on it's own drawing. I then draw the basement or lower level plan as it's own drawing. We do a lot of walk-out basements. So, all stick framed walls and parts of the lower level are on that drawing. Any concrete walls that are part of that plan just get copied from the foundation plan and set to not extract in 3D (sometimes also changed to a minimal height by edit, repeat edit. It goes pretty quickly. This way, when I am working on just the foundation plan I can keep it separate in 3D as well as a plan set page.

Mark Petri

Petri Building and Design

#18 Verlin Klassen

Verlin Klassen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 262 posts
  • LocationBirnie, Manitoba, Canada

Posted 29 March 2018 - 08:13 PM

I have also just started using a custom mode for the foundation. So far I am enthused about it. A couple advantages I see is that if you change a wall dimension on one of the modes it is automatically changed on the other one, if you are using SoftList you can have your foundation/basement drawing in the model and it's all there, also, if you are doing a walk thru or 3Ds you don't have to move drawings in and out of your model to have the correct one there for your 3D. It is also easy then if you are working on your foundation drawing and you want to make sure you place the floor drain in the mechanical room to just temporarily turn on the layer that has the interior partitions, altho, you can also use overlay to figure stuff like that out.

Verlin Klassen

Westman Drafting

#19 Brent Hyndman

Brent Hyndman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,549 posts

Posted 03 April 2018 - 07:31 AM

Thanks for the ticket Tom. I'll take a closer look.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users