#1 Dennis Hilborn

Dennis Hilborn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 816 posts
  • LocationDFW Texas

Posted 15 April 2018 - 01:23 PM

When I use the move block command to do something like add width to a house sometimes if an opening hits the end of a wall the move stops and I can't "stretch" any further.  I have attach highlighted. 

I find the only way to make the move work it to first extend the wall so the opening had somewhere to go.  In other words "block move" does not stretch the wall to move a window.

Is this the way it is supposed to work or am I doing something wrong?

#2 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,092 posts
  • LocationBrockville, Ontario, Canada

Posted 15 April 2018 - 02:06 PM

No, you're not doing anything wrong. That's the way it works. Rightly or wrongly.

Keith

There are 10 types of people in this world ....... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Softplan user since version 5.5.2.5

www.homehardwarekingston.ca

#3 Brent Hyndman

Brent Hyndman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,549 posts

Posted 18 April 2018 - 08:56 AM

With Move Block, the openings move the length of the original wall that they are drawn in and the wall will extend after the command it complete. 

With that said, there are more robust methods available that will help with what you are trying to do.

Do a Selection set buy holding CTRL and dragging a box around the items with the mouse. Additional items can be added to the selection set by selecting them with CTRL and the left mouse button. Once selected, the items can be moved as one. 

Similarly, you can use the 'Group Box' and 'Group Poly' commands under Tools to Group items together so that they can be moved accurately as a single item. For the full steps involved in using the Group commands, go to Help and search 'Group Move' and select the 'Using Group Move' lesson.

• John Jones and Thomas Davis like this

#4 Dennis Hilborn

Dennis Hilborn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 816 posts
  • LocationDFW Texas

Posted 18 April 2018 - 04:06 PM

Thanks Brent, I will do that.

I remember when I was learning Autocad that I had similar troubles until I learned what it would do and how was the best way. 

Though, sometimes I do miss the pencil.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users