8 replies to this topic

#1 Dave Pazyniak

Dave Pazyniak

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 402 posts

Posted 05 May 2018 - 06:39 AM

Thank you all for your help so far.  I have learned quite a bit and have completed my mass model for option A of the remodel.  I am going to attempt to use building options for my B scheme.  I would like to copy some items (for example the front porch flat roof) for building option 2 to building option 3, then edit it to a sloped roof.  The best I can figure is to copy the items I want to a new drawing, reset the building option for the items, then copy it back to the original drawing.  Is there a better way eliminating the new drawing step?

Thanks again,

Dave

Attached Files

#2 Heath Foster

Heath Foster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 05 May 2018 - 06:56 AM

You can use the copy command and move it over out of the way a set distance, change the building option and move it back then adjust the lollipops to make sure they are referencing the right thing. I’m sure there are other ways to do it as well.

#3 Heath Foster

Heath Foster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 05 May 2018 - 07:02 AM

By the way it’s looking really good!
On a side note I saw your question about the second floor inside the roof. I always draw the roof on the second floor. Instead of using multi floor I use a custom wall to represent any first floor walls that is 1-1/2” tall dropped down 1-1/2” and not visible in the model or listed in soft-list. This seems to work well most of the time.

#4 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,096 posts
  • LocationBrockville, Ontario, Canada

Posted 05 May 2018 - 06:34 PM

Why do you need to copy items from building option 2 to building option 3? ... You can assign items to more than one building option!

Keith

There are 10 types of people in this world ....... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Softplan user since version 5.5.2.5

www.homehardwarekingston.ca

#5 Dave Pazyniak

Dave Pazyniak

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 402 posts

Posted 06 May 2018 - 05:37 AM

Thanks, Heath.  Really like that wall idea.  I'll set that up. 

They will be the same items on both options, but different settings.  For example, I'll have the same number of front porch columns, but different style, and add a slope to the roof.  Seems easier to copy ad adjust than to re-create.

#6 Heath Foster

Heath Foster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 06 May 2018 - 07:13 AM

Dave, with regards to your original question. I just thought of an easier way. You can under the edit tab copy the items you want to another building option using copy to Softplan clipboard. Then change the active building option to the one you want the new option on and paste from Softplan clipboard/hold position. This will give you the same thing on both building options so you can change the new one however you want.

#7 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,096 posts
  • LocationBrockville, Ontario, Canada

Posted 06 May 2018 - 10:37 AM

Sorry, if you need to edit it, then obviously you don't want to assign it to multiple building options.

As Heath stated the easiest to copy items from drawing to drawings is always the Softplan Clipboard Hold position, and not just for building options ... it's for anything you need in the same place on multiple drawings. Staircases are a prime example. BEWARE however, if a pasted staircase is near a wall, it will SNAP to the wall EVEN IF THAT'S NOT THE RIGHT PLACE.

Note to Softplan ... PASTED staircases should NOT snap to walls they should ALWAYS paste in the HOLD position. Because of basement frost walls - typically wider than the walls above - staircase locations are designed from the basement up. Snapping to the exterior walls in higher floors doesn't work.

Keith

There are 10 types of people in this world ....... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Softplan user since version 5.5.2.5

www.homehardwarekingston.ca

#8 Dave Pazyniak

Dave Pazyniak

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 402 posts

Posted 07 May 2018 - 10:23 AM

Thanks, Heath. That is perfect, and a logical way to do it that I should have thought of!
  • Heath Foster likes this

#9 Philip Frank

Philip Frank

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 560 posts
  • LocationMaine, USA

Posted 08 May 2018 - 04:46 AM

Keith,

Th​e movement of stairs when pasting from another drawing has the potential for serious errors in a design if you're not paying attention. Hope that this can be fixed sometime.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users