#1 Dennis Hilborn

Dennis Hilborn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 816 posts
  • LocationDFW Texas

Posted 16 May 2018 - 03:10 PM

I know it's been discussed before but most everything was in 2016 or before.  Does anyone have any experience with the current crop of NVIDIA cards?  I'm about to build another new computer and all  my cards are out of date.

#2 randolph cohn

randolph cohn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 869 posts
  • Locationmarin county - california

Posted 16 May 2018 - 03:17 PM

Posted Today, 01:48 PM

• toms hardware:
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •     
  • GRAPHICS
  • NEWS
by Avram Piltch  May 16, 2018 at 12:12 PM

Nvidia GTX 1180 Expected in July: What You Need to Know

-------------------------------------------------------------

https://www.tomshard...-faq,37067.html

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

the nVidia GTX high end cards highly recommended with softplan

randy

v10 to future 2016+ ;)

#3 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,096 posts
  • LocationBrockville, Ontario, Canada

Posted 16 May 2018 - 03:20 PM

To be perfectly honest, my new (2 months ago) office computer, an ASUS ROG STRIX GL703V has a Nvidia GTX1050 and I don't notice ANY appreciable difference to the Toshiba Qosmio X870 that I had before that had a GTX670M in it.

I think that at a certain point, the limitation becomes the software NOT the hardware.

Keith

There are 10 types of people in this world ....... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Softplan user since version 5.5.2.5

www.homehardwarekingston.ca

#4 Sam Allen

Sam Allen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 133 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, Texas

Posted 17 May 2018 - 01:11 PM

I agree with Keith...I have an i9-7900 chip and a GTX180 Ti graphics card...both liquid cooled and recently upgraded from an i7 and a gtx780Ti and have only noticed a slight improvement in Softplan.  Rendering is still not where I would like to see it....

• Keith Almond likes this

#5 D M

D M

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 402 posts
  • Location..

Posted 17 May 2018 - 03:19 PM

GTX980Ti  .. is the card I have, .. I'm happy with the output with Textured Mode,

. I don't bother with Rendered (takes a little more processing time, and I admit I haven't picked up on 'gamma', tone mapping, occlusion, .. whatever they mean)

..and I don't feel the need to be super-photorealistic anyway.

the noticeable difference in the cards performance may be minimal.. because we're all using gaming cards for Softplan, and not gaming WITH Softplan, ..

card manufacturers themselves rate their different cards as fair good or excellent depending on which game is involved.

I think any of the mid to higher end NVIDIA cards will give you pleasant enough results for the graphics.

.. invariably, someone will have a simpler solution.

#6 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,096 posts

Posted 17 May 2018 - 06:17 PM

I have an AMD RADEON RX560 in my home machine, and this too works fine, so it really doesn't need to be NVIDIA as long as it's a reasonably powerful card.

Keith

There are 10 types of people in this world ....... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

#7 Yvon Gonthier

Yvon Gonthier

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,288 posts
  • LocationOttawa

Posted 04 June 2018 - 06:54 AM

We"re looking at changing my system and everytime in the past it seems to fall short on certain items. Tech use to blame it on the wiring between the systems and the server. We re-wired everything with no noticeable differences. Then it was the server and it was updated as well as one on the cloud. No noticeable difference. With Excel, which can get fairly heavy because I developed our work order system on it and Softplan, it will often lag or identify "Not Responding", but at least with the latest computers, after 20 seconds, it unfreezes.

This is the system that they are now recommending to us;

CPU i7 6 core 4.6 Ghz last generation

16GB Ram

Disk SSD 512GB

Windows 10 Pro

Vidéo card NVIDIA GTX 1050Ti with 4GB ram compatible with 3 monitors

Any feedback?

Thanks

#8 Dennis Hilborn

Dennis Hilborn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 816 posts
  • LocationDFW Texas

Posted 04 June 2018 - 07:28 AM

I picked up one of the 1050 flavors last week for one of my backup computers but haven'g gotten to install it yet.  I'm expecting a huge improvement from the basic card I've been running in it.

#9 Sam Morgan

Sam Morgan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 851 posts

Posted 04 June 2018 - 07:38 AM

One thing you need to keep in mind.  In softplan, all modes other than ray traced (rendered) use the GPU.  Ray traced (rendered) uses the CPU, so upgrading your video card and expecting faster and better ray traced images isn't realistic.  

• Yvon Gonthier likes this

#10 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,096 posts

Posted 04 June 2018 - 06:22 PM

I picked up one of the 1050 flavors last week for one of my backup computers but haven'g gotten to install it yet.  I'm expecting a huge improvement from the basic card I've been running in it.

I'd almost be prepared to bet that unless your old card was GARBAGE, that you'll notice almost NO difference whatsoever.

Keith

#11 Dennis Hilborn

Dennis Hilborn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 816 posts
  • LocationDFW Texas

Posted 04 June 2018 - 06:49 PM

I don't remember what generation it was but it was old.  Probably one of the first to come out in pcie.  It's at my meeting office and I never use it except when working while waiting for a customer to show up. 

#12 Yvon Gonthier

Yvon Gonthier

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,288 posts
  • LocationOttawa

Posted 05 June 2018 - 08:14 AM

CPU i7 6 core 4.6 Ghz last generation

16GB Ram

Disk SSD 512GB

Windows 10 Pro

Vidéo card NVIDIA GTX 1050Ti with 4GB ram compatible with 3 monitors

Any feedback?

Thanks

Hi

Wondering if anybody else has comments or suggestions? Would a 3D mouse be recommended to add at this point?

Thanks again

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users