10 replies to this topic

#1 Amelia Zabel

Amelia Zabel

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 23 May 2018 - 08:52 AM

Good Morning,

We just upgraded to 2018 and I'm wondering if there is some setting I'm missing, in version 2016 if I used the arrow keys to move precisely, it would move in 1/8" increments, I have my cursor movement grid set to 1/8", but it's not moving at 1/8" and sometimes it will move a little then stop, is there another way I should be using to move precisely?  We have this set up on 4 systems and it is doing the same thing on all of them.

Thanks!

Wes

#2 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,092 posts
  • LocationBrockville, Ontario, Canada

Posted 23 May 2018 - 09:21 AM

Softplan are apparently very proud that 2018 is accurate to 1/32". The movement accuracy depends on how close you're zoomed in.  When zoomed out, the accuracy is 1/8" and the arrow keys move 1/8th inch. However as you zoom closer, that changes to 1/16" and then zoom closer it changes to 1/32" ... Bizzarely though if you zoom too close it then changes back to 1/8".

If you zoom close and move something minorly ... it's a pain to get it back to the 1/8" "grid" as zooming out then moves it in 1/8" increments 1/32" off the 1/8" grid ... ARGHH.

Personally I was much happier with the 1/8" accuracy, so like you, I wish I could turn it off, and I bet we're not alone.

Keith

There are 10 types of people in this world ....... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Softplan user since version 5.5.2.5

www.homehardwarekingston.ca

#3 Amelia Zabel

Amelia Zabel

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 23 May 2018 - 10:31 AM

Hi Kieth, Thanks for the reply, I was going bonkers trying to figure this out and everyone else in the office was as well, I emailed tech support and they didn't seem to understand my problem, now at least I know I'm not crazy, haha

#4 Brent Hyndman

Brent Hyndman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,549 posts

Posted 23 May 2018 - 11:30 AM

Wes.

I don't think that technical support were aware that you had zoomed in when noticing the different cursor movement. When we asked for a drawing you stated that the issue no longer occurred on a newly created drawing.  That would indicate that it was a zoom issue and not evident at the default zoom of a new drawing. If this is not the case, please send us a drawing or create a ticket.

Below is a description as taken from a post in our Beta Forum:

The cursor movement has changed such that at a certain zoom scales the cursor moves in 1/16".  Zoom in closer and the cursor moves at 1/32". If you zoom in closer yet you will get the small cursor with no cursor grid. This is to help eliminate choppy cursor movements and should allow the cursor to move smoothly when zoomed in for detailed work.

#5 Amelia Zabel

Amelia Zabel

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 23 May 2018 - 03:00 PM

Hi Brent,

Thanks for the reply, I can send in a file, but it's pretty much doing the same thing on every system, is there a way that indicates what zoom scale results in 1/8", 1/16" and 1/32" movement?

#6 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,092 posts

Posted 23 May 2018 - 04:19 PM

Why would there be? You DON'T know what zoom factor you are at anyway.

Keith

There are 10 types of people in this world ....... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

#7 Dennis Hilborn

Dennis Hilborn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 816 posts
  • LocationDFW Texas

Posted 23 May 2018 - 04:40 PM

Why would there be? You DON'T know what zoom factor you are at anyway.

The zoom factor is irrelevant.  But variable and unexpected cursor movement changes is NOT a good thing.

#8 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,092 posts

Posted 23 May 2018 - 05:29 PM

is there a way that indicates what zoom scale results in 1/8", 1/16" and 1/32" movement?

How can it possibly be irrelevant, if you want to know when it changes?

Keith

#9 Verlin Klassen

Verlin Klassen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 262 posts
  • LocationBirnie, Manitoba, Canada

Posted 24 May 2018 - 11:23 AM

OK, this is probably way off and not what your issue is, but you mentioned about the cursor moving and then stopping. Have you tried right clicking on the SoftPlan icon on your desktop, going to settings/compatibility and checking "override high DPI scaling behavior"?

• Brent Hyndman and Amelia Zabel like this

Verlin Klassen

Westman Drafting

#10 Brent Hyndman

Brent Hyndman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,549 posts

Posted 24 May 2018 - 12:01 PM

Below is  something I posted in March-2017 that illustrates the zoom scales at which we transition to the smaller grids. As you can see you need to be in pretty close to have the grid change.

That said, when the grid didn't change, we received complaints that the movement was 'choppy' as it jumped at larger increments. I have logged a suggestion based off of your requests to have an option for the grid to stay at 1/8" with the understanding that the cursor movement could be difficult at close zooms until it transitions to small cursor with no grid.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Posted 22 March 2017 - 12:30 PM

We have introduced a new dynamically scaled mouse grid that will scale down as you zoom in closer. This behavior is evident without needing to drop to the small cursor.

The typical grid size is still 1/8" which will transition to 1/16" and then to 1/32" when zoomed in very close. This will help when drawing in small spaces while staying within a grid size that still aligns to the 1/8th inch grid. 

Below are some examples of the zoom scales at which we transition to the smaller grid sizes.

post-4441-0-71313500-1490200251_thumb.pn

#11 Amelia Zabel

Amelia Zabel

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 24 May 2018 - 12:54 PM

Brent, Thanks for the clarification, I definitely understand what it is trying to accomplish, I know in 2016 it would sometimes seem a little fiddley when the cursor is zoomed.

Verlin, You are awesome!!! that really helped when I changed the setting you suggested, now it seems like things are working much better, I'll see after I use it for a few days, I do notice it makes my icons look like the large scale icons (which is no big deal) , but as a plus my text looks a lot sharper.

• Brent Hyndman likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users