Photo

Is there a proper way to mull windows together?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Dennis Hilborn

Dennis Hilborn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 816 posts
  • LocationDFW Texas

Posted 24 May 2018 - 07:02 AM

Rather than just placing them side by side?  That works but there is an overlap where the sills meet.  I'm not using opening schedules yet so I don't know what happens there.

#2 Yvon Gonthier

Yvon Gonthier

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,288 posts
  • LocationOttawa

Posted 24 May 2018 - 07:25 AM

You can edit the openings and uncheck the Exclude From Unit Openings box under the Header tab so that it become a single opening or edit one window, select Add Product Code and give it a name. Then go back in the System Library>Openings, find tthe new window and edit. You can then select Add to ad other panels to create a multiple panel window. You can also create your new windows directly from the System Library. 

• Brent Hyndman likes this

#3 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,096 posts
  • LocationBrockville, Ontario, Canada

Posted 24 May 2018 - 07:28 AM

There are various ways (Softplan typically has more than one way to do anything) ... The best way depends on what you are trying to achieve. Personally I'd always design anything as one window. What do you want to see?

Keith

There are 10 types of people in this world ....... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Softplan user since version 5.5.2.5

www.homehardwarekingston.ca

#4 Dennis Hilborn

Dennis Hilborn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 816 posts
  • LocationDFW Texas

Posted 25 May 2018 - 07:15 AM

This is what got me to thinking that there might be a better way.  I'd like to eliminate the two lines that are circled.  I can just erase them on the elevation but they show up on the floor plan and can't be erased there.

Attached Files

#5 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,096 posts
  • LocationBrockville, Ontario, Canada

Posted 25 May 2018 - 07:33 AM

For me, the easiest way to decide how to draw it, is to try an determine how will it actually be built. In this instance I would expect that that particular window will actually be built as one window, so why don't you draw it as one window. Just stretch the window (either manually or dimensionally in the edit box) to the overall size and divide it into 2 sections.

OR to do it the really easy way ... why not draw it as the correct size two section window to start with?

Attached File  2018.05.25_09h36m54s_001.png   41.55KB   2 downloads

If you do it the way you did, then go to EDIT > UNIT OPENINGS, click on one of your openings, it will allow you to save the combined opening as a single unit by giving it a product code (i.e. saving it as a single window), which will combine all the relevant trims. Just butting them up together really causes issues if you want to add either interior or exterior trim.

Keith

There are 10 types of people in this world ....... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Softplan user since version 5.5.2.5

www.homehardwarekingston.ca

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users