Photo

Chimney woes

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 28 May 2018 - 05:37 PM

This is probably a really simple issue for most of you, but I can't figure it out.  At any rate, I used to use ver 13 many years ago until my company went under...I just got 2018 a few days ago and cannot figure out the chimney.  Essentially what I want to do is to draw a chimney that cantilevers the foundation wall.   What boggles my mind is how do you design the walls to have a fully enclosed chase with drywall on the inside below the ceiling line (assuming cathedral) and siding on the outside above the roof line?  I can get three walls, but every time I draw the one in front of the fire box, it is just plain wrong or the walls don't tie.

Attached Files

#2 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,096 posts
  • LocationBrockville, Ontario, Canada

Posted 28 May 2018 - 06:29 PM

I've found that the easiest way (and much the preferred way for me) is to draw a separate plan called CHIMNEY ... Don't put it in the plan set or any construction drawings, but do add it to the model stack. above the roof on the first floor.

Keith

There are 10 types of people in this world ....... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Softplan user since version 5.5.2.5

www.homehardwarekingston.ca

#3 Heath Foster

Heath Foster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 28 May 2018 - 06:57 PM

Another option you can draw your chimney walls regular height (3 sides siding 1 Sheetrock), Then draw a second set (4 sides siding) make them hidden and offset their height so they stack on top of the first set.

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 29 May 2018 - 07:15 PM

I tried both of those things but more problems arose.  The walls wouldn't join, or frieze boards would end up in weird places.   I think part of the problem is the cathedral ceiling below, but I don't know.  I even drew the walls off to the side, set the offsets, and moved it into place and the walls would unjoin.  

I know this is another topic, but speaking of frieze boards, I also have a problem on a few walls were the frieze boards are following the underside of the roof even though the walls are not set to rake top... anyone know why this happens?

#5 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,096 posts

Posted 30 May 2018 - 05:14 AM

If you don't want it to follow the roof, it's not a frieze. Use a band instead.
Keith

There are 10 types of people in this world ....... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 30 May 2018 - 06:24 AM

The place its happening is on the covered front porch.  It shows up in the mini 3D view properly but then the frieze boards shoot up the gable end on the model right through the ceiling.  I'm not near my Softplan right now to post images, but I'll give that band setting a try Keith.  I was giving your first suggestion regarding the chimney another thought and I'm thinking maybe I didn't implement your suggestion correctly.  Do you put a floor under your second floor hidden walls or set the bottom of the second floor walls to fit the roof?  On a positive note - ver 2018 is light years better than ver 13!  

#7 Brad Graber

Brad Graber

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 30 May 2018 - 07:20 AM

If you place a hidden wall on the house side you can turn the siding corners off since they won't join correctly and then build a solid siding corner to use as a symbol.  place the symbol in the appropriate spot, then explode and adjust as req'd.  here is mine attached, you can use that

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 30 May 2018 - 10:38 AM

Brad, nothing was attached.  But your suggestion is where I was going to go next if I can't get it to work.  Funny thing is, is that I will spend hours fiddling with something silly like this only because I'm uncomfortable with using polys and creating symbols.  I need to get past that though as I want to put some gable end brackets like this on the house too:

Attached Files

#9 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,096 posts

Posted 30 May 2018 - 02:34 PM

Creating the chimney floor, is ONLY a chimney. Draw your first floor walls and roof as normal, but only draw the chimney walls to the height of the main first floor walls. On the chimney plan ONLY draw the chimney. If it needs to be 15 ft high then draw 4 - 15 ft high walls NO OFFSET, NO FLOOR. Put a chimney cap on top and add to the model stack at the top, so that the chimney walls sit directly on top of the main floor walls.
Keith

#10 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,096 posts

Posted 30 May 2018 - 02:42 PM

If you want some gable trims, there are a load of styles and pitches in this earlier thread ... http://softplan.com/...-truss/?p=18425
Keith

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 30 May 2018 - 05:31 PM

Awesome!  I have no idea what I was doing wrong yesterday, but it worked perfectly today!  I ended up making the wall height of the first floor walls to end in between the cathedral ceiling and the roof.  Then I offset the second floor (chimney) walls to that height.  Thanks Keith!  

Attached Files

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users