#1 Dennis Hilborn

Dennis Hilborn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 816 posts
  • LocationDFW Texas

Posted 30 May 2018 - 06:54 AM

Sometimes I would like to use the mirror command in lots of situations and find that the command does nothing.  When it works it is great.  Is there a tutorial about the command that I'm not finding that might explain more about how it works?  I've had and occasion where I could mirror the whole house but it would fail trying to mirror a single line.  There must be something that I'm missing.

#2 Yvon Gonthier

Yvon Gonthier

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,288 posts
  • LocationOttawa

Posted 30 May 2018 - 07:14 AM

To use the mirror function, you must have something like a line that you will click at 2 locations to tell Softplan where the mirror point is. Then, evrything that must be mirrored must be well inside your box.

#3 Brad Graber

Brad Graber

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 30 May 2018 - 07:15 AM

I can't say I have ever seen any problems with it.  You might also try the reverse command, it works very similar to mirror, only it removes the original item.  

I would say that if you are using multi-drawings (make sure you are on the current drawing of the item you are trying to mirror.  IIf you are on a different drawing you can see the item you are trying to mirror but not able to select it.  Plan sets may work the same way i'm just not sure as I don't use them.  

#4 Brent Hyndman

Brent Hyndman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,549 posts

Posted 30 May 2018 - 07:20 AM

Hi Dennis.

You may want to check that the items are not on a locked Layer or Building Option.

The best thing to do is send us a ticket of a drawing that fails to mirror as you would expect. A before and after example of each would be helpful.

Be sure to list out the steps that you are using, indicate which items are to be contained within the selection box and show us the location of the desired mirror line.

#5 Dennis Hilborn

Dennis Hilborn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 816 posts
  • LocationDFW Texas

Posted 30 May 2018 - 08:11 AM

Hi Dennis.

You may want to check that the items are not on a locked Layer or Building Option.

The best thing to do is send us a ticket of a drawing that fails to mirror as you would expect. A before and after example of each would be helpful.

Be sure to list out the steps that you are using, indicate which items are to be contained within the selection box and show us the location of the desired mirror line.

I'll do that next time.  Thanks.

#6 Heath Foster

Heath Foster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 30 May 2018 - 08:18 AM

Just in case your not sure how the command works this is from the help section.

Attached Files

#7 Dennis Hilborn

Dennis Hilborn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 816 posts
  • LocationDFW Texas

Posted 30 May 2018 - 08:44 AM

I've read that and follow the directions but still have trouble getting it to work.  In a previous software I used the mirror command often.

Next time I can't get it to work right I'll send in a ticket as suggested earlier and maybe they can figure out what I'm doing wrong.

#8 MELINDA ROBERTS

MELINDA ROBERTS

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 22 January 2019 - 08:40 AM

Mirror drove me nuts as well, but I finally figured it out. I think that those of us who were raised on AutoCad and Revit expect it to work in the same manner. It does not.

Block Select your items to mirror as directed. Then - in order to draw the mirror line, you have to re-select the mirror command under the Move tab, and it will ask you to draw the mirror line.

#9 Philip Frank

Philip Frank

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 559 posts
  • LocationMaine, USA

Posted 22 January 2019 - 11:12 AM

I usually preselect all the items I want to mirror before I invoke the Mirror" command (you do this by holding down the Ctrl  key as you select as many items as you want. You can CTRL click and drag to include items inside an expanding box too).

Once you have made your selection, then choose the "Mirror" tool. You won't be prompted to "Block Select Items to Mirror" because you already have items that you preselected. Now you only need to click on 2 points to establish the mirror line. As a bonus when you finish the Mirror command, the initial selection will still be active and you can delete the original selected items. This makes the Mirror tool behave more like the Reverse tool, but I find I have a lot more control this way.

• John Jones likes this

#10 Yvon Gonthier

Yvon Gonthier

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,288 posts
  • LocationOttawa

Posted 22 January 2019 - 01:13 PM

Actually you don't have to select mirror command twice. Select the Mirror function, left click where you want to start the block select box and left again for the end of the block select (or individual items as mentioned by Frank). All selected items will be highlighted. Then, just left click where you want to start your mirror line and left again for the end. Items are mirrored. If you don't select another function, you can select other items to mirror without re-selecting the mirror function.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users