How Will These Computer Specs Perform?

5 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Mike_*

Guest_Mike_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 June 2018 - 04:05 PM

Hello,

After a few years away from drafting, my mother come across some opportunities and has recently decided to get back into the work. Her computer isn't up to the task any longer, but she's still trying to figure out just how consistent the work will be so we're not eager to drop a ton of cash up front on new hardware. One option for getting her back up to speed quickly is to just cannibalize my computer. It's an older system, but the GPU has been upgraded and I'd buy her a new SSD drive. How well do people think this system would perform with SoftPlan, and how long of a lifespan would you expect to get from it?

Mother Board:  Gigabyte Z87X-UD3H
Processor:        Intel® Core™ i7-4770 CPU @ 3.40GHz, 3401 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)
Memory:           16.0 GB
Graphics:          NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970

Ideally I'd like to see a couple of years use out of it, because it seems like the next upgrade would be a surface tablet for on-site and client stuff. Alternatively, if anyone has suggestions on decent but value conscious systems to buy I'd be curious to hear.

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 04 June 2018 - 07:38 AM

I have nearly an identical system and it runs just fine.  I imagine it will work fine for a couple of years.  

#3 Sam Morgan

Sam Morgan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 850 posts

Posted 04 June 2018 - 07:40 AM

I had that exact system for several years, my daughter in law uses that machine now for renderings for me.  It worked very well with softplan.  I did recently upgrade the video card to 1060 series to make things a little faster on the 3D work.  I think I also had 64gb ram

#4 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,094 posts
  • LocationBrockville, Ontario, Canada

Posted 04 June 2018 - 06:19 PM

That's a more than capable machine, it should last quite a while without too much trouble.

Keith

There are 10 types of people in this world ....... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Softplan user since version 5.5.2.5

www.homehardwarekingston.ca

#5 randolph cohn

randolph cohn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 869 posts
  • Locationmarin county - california

Posted 05 June 2018 - 12:11 PM

i have similar .

i have a little less ram and not nearly as good graphics card

and it works fine.

renderings snap except for ray traced mode - hardly ever use it.

use textured 99% / others 1%

graphics card is very important with softplan and you have a great one

from what i've heard.

randy

v10 to future 2016+ ;)

#6 Guest_Mike_*

Guest_Mike_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 June 2018 - 05:43 AM

Thanks for the feedback everyone!

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic