#1 Thomas Roman

Thomas Roman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 341 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 20 April 2015 - 09:49 AM

sharing files.. draftsperson performing tasks ... projects going back and forth.. both persons working on multiple computers / different locations..

I've got to figure out a better way to do what we're doing...

so who is doing this?

how do you handle file management?

do you use the cloud to share files?... google-drive?.. softplan+ ? ... network?

can wi-fi be used to share files?...

do you carry your sofplan key from one PC to the other?

what's the pit falls / major mistakes to avoid?

THANKS in advance...

#2 Mike Downing

Mike Downing

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts
  • LocationPortola, Ca

Posted 20 April 2015 - 10:05 AM

Seems to me the easiest way to accomplish the sharing of files and subsequent work accomplished on said files is to have each person have a key. That way you can share files through the project options tab in Softplan+ no need for having to
share computers or be in the same office for that matter.I realize there is an added expense for the key but there would probably be an overall savings in efficiency

Mike Downing

#3 Thomas Roman

Thomas Roman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 341 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 20 April 2015 - 10:54 AM

my help is consulting basis, and they have their own PCs, and their own keys / SP license... lots of 1099's...

Good advice... we'll start using the project options / share project feature... that should be a start..

my biggest concern is two of us working on the same project, then which version gets saved to the softplan+ cloud?... or even if one person opens the project to look at something, while another person is working, can that result in lost data, depending on who "saves" last ?... not sure why, but I think I'm overly paranoid about that...

I assume it's best if only one user has access to the project folder at any one time...

do you have experience with these issues?

#4 Mike Downing

Mike Downing

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts
  • LocationPortola, Ca

Posted 20 April 2015 - 02:29 PM

Not a lot of experience, as I'm small potatoes compared to your operation:-)

I can understand your concern as to lost data. There is a lot of work to these files. How about this, I'll be happy to
conduct a small experiment with you. If you want to "collaborate" on a small project ie. the Drawing a house lesson that came with SP 2016. I'll be happy to do that with you. We don't have to do the whole lesson, just enough to see what effect your concerns may have on the plans. Let me know and I can call you to set up a time.
  • Thomas Roman likes this

Mike Downing

#5 Thomas Roman

Thomas Roman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 341 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 20 April 2015 - 03:15 PM

Super nice for you to offer that Mike... and the Project Options / sharing does seem the way to go...

I can test stuff with my associate here, then we're both learning at the same time..

I hope to hear from others that may be doing these things..

#6 Brian Berzinskis

Brian Berzinskis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 22 April 2015 - 09:51 AM

I can't really weigh in on the SoftPlan Cloud but I have staff in my office and we have a server that has all the SoftPlan files on it. That way any computer on the network has access to all the drawings. I also work from home and for backup reasons I have my work server mirrored to my home server. This gives me access to both. But people who work for me that bring something home just take it with them either on a flash drive or remote log into the work server and download the files they need and can upload them when they are done. I am sure that I should probably also be using the Cloud but I never knew if there was a limit on the storage size. My project folders have all the photos from as builts and scans of drawings for surveys and what not in them so it would be a lot of space needed. But I bet that the Cloud would be a good solution for current projects.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users