Photo

Wall Join Tolerance and Stacked Windows???

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 AJ Spino

AJ Spino

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 20 April 2015 - 05:50 PM

As you can see in my model I am struggling with joining walls and stacking windows/transoms above each other. 

The first issue is trying to line up the corner boards.  I placed a raked wall above the 9' main floor wall in an effort to prevent the inside corner boards from going staight up to the roof. The problem is, I can't eliminate the gap where the walls meet at right angles.  I've reduced the tolerence to 1/2" and still can't get the corner boards to line up.  I've also experience that gap in the basement where I have a 2x6 wall abuting to a ICF wall.

The second issue is the stacked windows. What is the best/proper way to stack windows or transom windows above each other?  

I'm trying to align the upper window height in profile mode but I can't select the upper window as a reference. Is there a way to do that or should I just use Edit to change their offsets?   

I'm not sure what the white space between the top of the window and transom represents, shouldn't there be siding there? 

In a 9' wall, what determines the distance between the window and a transom and/or in a 18' wall what determines the the distance between the windows...sorry, non builder here asking questions.

Attached Thumbnails

• windows and corner boards.jpg

#2 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,096 posts
  • LocationBrockville, Ontario, Canada

Posted 20 April 2015 - 07:08 PM

I'd put the join tolerance back up to 6" and try using a mitre join for the materials ... Can't remember which menu it's on at the moment - will confirm in the morning. Sometimes if the walls are at different heights, or hidden then the corner joins don't work too well. Also, typically, you wouldn't have corner boards on inside corners anyway.

When I stack windows, I normally copy the window up on the 3D (it's easier to find than on the plan) - and then edit the heights to suit, then hide the upper window so the sizes don't overlap on the plan.

I don't believe you can edit them in profile mode ... You couldn't a few versions ago at least. Maybe they've been changed and I never tried it again.

The whitespace shows that the windows are part of a unit, and when they get close, they automatically snap together as a unit ... if you don't want them joined, edit the window, go to the header tab, and check the "remove from unit opening" item. I think that's the way it is .... Not at a Softplan computer at the moment. Funny how you do things automatically without remembering the commands.

What determines the distance between windows? You do! .... Decide what the structure is and stack them accordingly ... They can be together like a transom window, or separated by as much or as little as you want depending on the structure between them. I normally try to add a 2 - 2" x 8" between them, but it depends what you want to do with the trim, and how you want it to look.

Keith

There are 10 types of people in this world ....... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Softplan user since version 5.5.2.5

www.homehardwarekingston.ca

#3 randolph cohn

randolph cohn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 869 posts
  • Locationmarin county - california

Posted 20 April 2015 - 07:18 PM

keith answers above:

"I'd put the join tolerance back up to 6" and try using a mitre join for the materials ... Can't remember which menu it's on at the moment -"

answer:  keith,  it's in > tools / adjust wall material / miter or butt.     >  that works more ofter than you'd think when all other wall joins attempts > fail.

randy

v10 to future 2016+ ;)

#4 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,096 posts
  • LocationBrockville, Ontario, Canada

Posted 20 April 2015 - 07:21 PM

Thanks Randy, I'm sure I could find it, but not being at the computer, I'm relying on memory, and that's never a good thing at my age!

Keith

There are 10 types of people in this world ....... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Softplan user since version 5.5.2.5

www.homehardwarekingston.ca

#5 D M

D M

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 402 posts
  • Location..

Posted 20 April 2015 - 07:40 PM

The white space between the windows can be turned off, .. can't remember just where right now, no access to Softplan this evening, .. I can check tomorrow if by then someone hasn't already pointed it out.

For stacked windows (drawing on the floor plan) I usually position the bottom unit, draw the transom unit next to it, fix its offset to the positional height I want relative to the lower one, dimension the two and edit the dimension to 0 to pull the window into alignment.

The space between the transom and its parent window in a 9' wall will be determined by the lintel size you require, that's the upper limit to your transom opening, .. typically the top of the lower unit remains at the same height as windows without transoms, so with a 9' plate height (109.125") you're probably going to do best with a window unit that comes with the transom attached, not a separate smaller window framed above the lower. (9' wall heights though make for tiny transom heights)

The space between the windows in an 18' wall (I'm assuming you mean the stud framing between RO's) can vary depending on your local authority having jurisdication and or your engineer, (wind loads, .. stuff like that) .. I've see as little as four 2x6 studs (two full height, with one each side acting as jack studs for the lintels, .. in other cases I've seen six studs .. two full height and two jacks each side independently supporting the lower lintel and the upper lintel respectively. As well, and again depending on circumstance, the wall may call for 2x8 framing, .. I've seen as much as 2x10 wall studs (was a huge wall with losts of glass)

As far as the distance between the upper and lower window units in your 18' wall, that's a matter of personal design preference, whatever looks good to you or your client.

.. invariably, someone will have a simpler solution.

#6 AJ Spino

AJ Spino

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 21 April 2015 - 07:05 AM

Gentlemen,

Thank you!  You've helped considerably, I've learned a lot and deeply appreciate the detailed explanations.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users