2 replies to this topic

#1 Steve and Carla Farnam

Steve and Carla Farnam

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 654 posts

Posted 12 August 2018 - 09:52 AM

New AMD Graphics for those interested in rendering.

https://finance.yaho...-130000786.html

#2 Timothy Byrnes

Timothy Byrnes

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • LocationMacclenny, FL.

Posted 25 August 2018 - 11:02 PM

I built a new pc for the 2018 update, I went through 3 workstation cards and kept having bad problems until I finally went with a high end gaming card. The people at Softplan refuse to tell you what cards are best for some reason, so I dropped $500 on 2 cards before spending $500 on my current card. Kind of sucks to be honest that they are really no help at all in this, CADD users have always went with workstation builds but the new platform Softplan uses is strictly set up for gaming rigs. 

Having said that, I don't see how the card you linked to is an acceptable choice. I am currently researching a new build so I can update the motherboard to accept the M.2 drives and I welcome any and all credible information I can get on the best possible build choices.

#3 Steve Haarmann

Steve Haarmann

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 645 posts

Posted 26 August 2018 - 05:44 PM

Softplan has ALWAYS said that workstation cards are not recommended.

Gaming cards by Nvidia and Amd are the best choice.

The following is posted in the computer requirements section under Support on the Softplan website ...

Exclusions: Workstation class graphics cards, such as the NVIDIA Quadro® series and the AMD FirePro™ series, are generally NOT recommended as they tend to deliver poor performance when used with Softplan, which is designed to take advantage of features provided by so called ‘gaming’ cards, features which most workstation cards lack.

I would not roll the dice on the AMD card that is linked in the first post as it considered a "workstation" card.

Nvidia has a new series called the "Turing".

I would also hold back until this has been verified with Softplan.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users