Martin Livingston

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 693 posts
  • LocationHalifax, Nova Scotia

Posted 23 August 2018 - 11:26 AM

Hi,

I would like to export from Softplan to an STL file for 3D printing. Is this possible?

Five out of four people are not very good with fractions

www.cresco.ca

#2 Shelly McClain

Shelly McClain

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • LocationRoswell, GA.

Posted 23 January 2019 - 11:09 PM

Hello Martin, 

I know this is an old comment but were you able to find an answer to this question?  It has been some time back with me experimenting with converting softplan to Sketchup and then using an add on they had for sketchup that would convert to an STL or OBJ file I believe.  Curious what you might have come up with?

#3 Ken Montag

Ken Montag

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 24 January 2019 - 08:52 AM

An interesting question. Has anyone else explored 3d printing. I have been playing with it with limited success. First I assume we are talking about desktop FDM (filament) printers. I have found that I can print softplan basic items like walls,Windows doors etc, but even these require compromise. Due to small print size thus reduction, minimum item thickness is around 1.75 in thick. Details in Windows, trim, cabinets etc are lost, and in fact must be removed. Mono color also is a compromise. Given the limitations is there actually interest in this? Oh yeah print time for a single,simple floor Plan is 6 to 10 hours!
  • John Jones likes this

#4 Joseph Smith

Joseph Smith

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 824 posts
  • LocationWI

Posted 25 January 2019 - 11:31 AM

So cool!  Would be interested to see a small scaleable 3d printed house from SP.

Maybe SP will have a 3d printer printing a small scaleable house at NAHB this year.

Joseph A. Smith

http://granitedesigngroup.com

#5 Guest_Derrik Bauer_*

Guest_Derrik Bauer_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 February 2019 - 04:37 PM

It would definitely fall under the "cool" category.  

"Here you go Mr. & Mrs. Jones, this is your house"

Now THAT will get them talking!!   I'd figure out a way to have my logo printed on it somewhere!  It would be sitting on their counter for every dinner guest to talk about.

#6 Dennis Hilborn

Dennis Hilborn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 816 posts
  • LocationDFW Texas

Posted 12 February 2019 - 05:20 PM

Softplan will not export and STL file.

You would have to export to software that will export an stl file.

The file that SP exports to Autocad (which can export stl ) is not 3D. I haven't investigated what other formats SP will export to.

You could export to Autocad and do a huge cleanup then extrude the wall outline.  Poke holes in the walls for windows and doors. then print that.  I would print the roof flat since a 3d printer doesn't print overhanging angular surfaces like a roof very well. 

You might as well start out in something like Sketchup and trace a print of the floor plan.  Still draw and print the roof flat.

Print time would probably be days not hours.  3D prints are very slow.  Mine will print a 2" x 3.5" x 1/8"  flat christmas ornament in an hour which is probably about average.

#7 Ken Montag

Ken Montag

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 12 February 2019 - 06:41 PM

You are right, Softplan does not export a .stl file but it does a great job of exporting to Sketchup and Sketchup does a good .stl conversion. Currently I use Sketchup as a intermediary step to allow some simplifications. Also many 3d symbols are too fine for 3d printing and need to be simplified or details like table legs exaggerate for better printing. Yes, a single floor plan takes 13 hours or more. One I tried to do would take over 28 hours! Yeks. How far we pursue 3d printing is more a case of interest level. Personally I think it is pretty cool as a hobby, but is it customer ready, I don't know. I will be at the IBS show in Las Vegas next week and would love to talk to anyone interested in this topic. I may take my printer but will at least have a few models to show.
Ken Montag,
Softplan Systems
  • Keith Almond, Gary McKeon, Jim Henderson and 1 other like this

#8 Jesse McDaniel

Jesse McDaniel

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 11 March 2019 - 04:00 PM

Currently, i use Blender as the transition software to go to several different types of formats for viewing in a VR environment and possible printing.  However, every program i have used for viewing in VR the model has missing parts like walls and roof sections, but only from certain angles.  I have been trying to find a way to use VR to show customers what their house will look like when they stand in the living room, kitchen, etc.  It has been a troublesome process to say the least.  I have documented this in some videos i made and posted on Youtube.

Part 1 Settings:  https://youtu.be/zW94rFu4DXg

Part 2 Transitioning to 3D:  https://youtu.be/xAI-O8IBtwE

Part 3 Viewing in VR:  https://youtu.be/EW6EFfjC1SM

#9 Heath Foster

Heath Foster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 11 March 2019 - 04:28 PM

Have you tried exporting as a sketch up file? I did this with one of my models and was able to walk through it with the oculus rift no problem.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users