Foundation Pony Wall

7 replies to this topic

#1 Christian Verbrugge

Christian Verbrugge

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 30 September 2018 - 11:52 AM

I have been using SP since 1994 and find myself stumped.

I have created a basement wall that is comprised of a 44" foundation with 1/2" air space then a 44" insulated 2x4 stud wall, finished with drywall. 

On top of the foundation I have a 53" high insulated 2x6 stud wall with Hardipanel on strapping on 3/8" sheathing and finished in drywall. 

I have not added paper or vapor barriers to the wall system.

The 2x4 stud wall is fastened to the 2x6 stud wall using a 2x10 bottom plate on the 2x6 wall.

I have attached clips of the wall edit.

My problem is that in the plan view, the image of the wall does not show the components and I cannot get the extensions or dimensions from the 2x4 wall. (See PDF)

Historically, I would add the lower foundation / 2x4 stud wall and edit the height to 44", then include the 2x6 stud wall with edits for a 44" offset and total height of 53" for an 97" high wall system.

I am prepared to revert to my historical process with 2 walls, but I am curious if there is a way to have this wall display the upper and lower stud walls and work with extensions and dimensioning.

Attached Thumbnails

• SP Wall specs1.JPG
  • SP Wall specs2.JPG

Attached Files

#2 Henry Buckner

Henry Buckner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 342 posts

Posted 01 October 2018 - 06:54 AM

The display height (cut line) is above the lower wall- try lowering that.

#3 Yvon Gonthier

Yvon Gonthier

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,288 posts
  • LocationOttawa

Posted 01 October 2018 - 06:59 AM

Your display height is cutting thru your top plate so that's what it's showing. You have to adjust the display height so it's cuts thru the wall section you want to appear on the floor plan

#4 Tom Rogers

Tom Rogers

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,159 posts
  • LocationVilla Rica, Georgia

Posted 01 October 2018 - 07:41 AM

The reason that your display is not showing is that you have the display height higher than your 2x4 wall.  Change that down to at least your 2x4 wall height and that should fix that problem.  

As for the dimensioning from the interior of the wall, I believe you need to indicate that also on on the formula.  If you want the outside dimensions to pull from your concrete or strand board, set that material for extension.  Then if you are going to also run an interior dimension that you want to the interior side of the 2x4 wall I would set your 2x4 stud wall to dimension stud. 

I believe that should give you the results you need

"remember... what we are building today, should be what we want in the future"​
Version 10 to Version 2024+ and beyond
www.residentialproductions.com

#5 Steve Haarmann

Steve Haarmann

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 642 posts

Posted 01 October 2018 - 07:50 AM

What you see in plan mode is determined by the display height.

You have a display height set at 44 1/2" but the check box is blank.

This is a horizontal section which would show the cement board, osb board and 2x10 plate in plan view.

Yoiu can increase the display height to anything above 45 1/2" and the exterior wall with cement board and osb will be visible.

You can then add a "none" material the same width and location as the interior stud wall and be sure that it is vertically offset to be included in the display height dimension .

This none material can be used to allow dimension options and visibility options (in plan view) but will not affect the elevation or material take off.

You have the exterior of the osb set to dimension and extension to the exterior.

You also have inside stud set to dimension and extension from the interior.

Change this as needed.

#6 Martin Livingston

Martin Livingston

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 691 posts
  • LocationHalifax, Nova Scotia

Posted 01 October 2018 - 08:12 AM

I create the stand off insulated wall as a separate object complete with the cap assembly because they do not line up with the concrete wall drops in real life and their height varies but not necessarily in relation to the concrete height.

Attached Thumbnails

• wall.png

Five out of four people are not very good with fractions

www.cresco.ca

#7 Yvon Gonthier

Yvon Gonthier

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,288 posts
  • LocationOttawa

Posted 01 October 2018 - 08:21 AM

As for the dimensioning from the interior of the wall, I believe you need to indicate that also on on the formula.  If you want the outside dimensions to pull from your concrete or strand board, set that material for extension.  Then if you are going to also run an interior dimension that you want to the interior side of the 2x4 wall I would set your 2x4 stud wall to dimension stud. 

Yes but remember that the display height has to cut thru the wall section you want to dimension. If, for example, you want to cut thru the upper wall but want dimension to the interior face of the lower stud wall, you would need to add a material such as "None" material that would extend up thru the upper section (at least thru the display height).

#8 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,092 posts
  • LocationBrockville, Ontario, Canada

Posted 01 October 2018 - 10:34 AM

Note: For dimensioning, you can ONLY have a maximum of two locations in the wall thickness ... Softplan will not allow you to dimension the upper wall thickness and the lower wall thickness in the same wall definition.

Keith

There are 10 types of people in this world ....... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Softplan user since version 5.5.2.5

www.homehardwarekingston.ca

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users