• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Jeff Humbert

Jeff Humbert

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 17 October 2018 - 07:46 PM

why cant I seem to figure out how to add a gable end where I have shown.... see attached

Jeff

Attached Files

#2 Gary McKeon

Gary McKeon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 557 posts
  • LocationSilverton Oregon

Posted 17 October 2018 - 08:54 PM

Have you tried splitting it into 2 separate roofs? Put the top one on and make it a gable at both ends. Then put the bottom section on and make it a gable as well. Because the lower section roof is taller you will have to manually manipulate it to get the look you want. Look in the help section or maybe there is a video to help with that part?

#3 Jeff Humbert

Jeff Humbert

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 17 October 2018 - 09:40 PM

I saw somebody did that, and traced holes in the roof to manipulate it... seems like a pretty simple roof design to not have a function able to generate it.... in the past I've always got it close, then generated elevation files and manipulated the lines.... I'm trying to stick with doing it legit so the 3d modeling will work.... and it will if you follow your suggestion, its just more time consuming than i think it should be for a simple design :)

Thanks for your input

#4 Dennis Hilborn

Dennis Hilborn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 816 posts
  • LocationDFW Texas

Posted 18 October 2018 - 04:51 AM

Use the False Gable command.  Click at 1 then 2. you may have to adjust 1 and 2 to get it perfect.  Then create a hole to trim out the unwanted eave.  Your roof plan will have a couple of extra lines to trim out but that's easy.

Attached File  roof.png   20.74KB   1 downloads

#5 Brent Hyndman

Brent Hyndman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,549 posts

Posted 18 October 2018 - 09:05 AM

Dennis has the right idea although in his case the horizontal roof can be drawn first with a gable on both ends then the front roof added using a trace roof. This is simply due to the rear section being the taller roof. 

With Jeff's original image, the front roof section is wider than the rear section which means that the front section will have the higher ridge (assuming all pitches are equal). In this case, Dennis' false gable method would work best unless pitches are adjusted to allow its ridge to be lower than the rear roof.

See attached. I added an auto roof, then added the False Gable on the left side and used an Auto Hole to cut the roof out beneath the False Gable.

Any time a roof transitions from one Roof Plane type to another along the same edge, as it does up the left side, it will require more than one roof plane to be drawn.

Attached File  False Gable Option.png   871.19KB   1 downloads

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users