#1 Tim Stockton

Tim Stockton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 313 posts
  • LocationWichita, KS

Posted 24 April 2015 - 02:37 PM

I have a Lenovo W530 workstation and am looking to upgrade the graphics card.  Does anyone have a good source for purchasing these at a low price?

#2 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,098 posts
  • LocationBrockville, Ontario, Canada

Posted 24 April 2015 - 07:36 PM

Don't know where you are Tim, but Tiger Direct in Canada always seem to have reasonable prices.

You'll have to give us more direction here. Where are you ... approximately? What's your budget?

And the most important question .... Is it even possible to upgrade your laptop card? In 99% of cases it's much easier to upgrade the whole laptop. Almost all the graphics in laptops are integrated into the motherboard, and I believe that is the case with the Lenovo.

As far as I know, pretty much your only option is an is an adapter .....  The ViDock 4 is an ExpressCard to PCI-Express adapter. It allows you to connect a desktop gaming level video card to your laptop through your ExpressCard slot. You will simply need to install a PCI-Express x16 card into the adapter. The adapter will then connect to the ExpressCard slot on your laptop making the video card perform as the computer's built in display adapter. (Taken from https://sewelldirect.com/ViDock-4.asp).

..... And this only works if your Laptop has an ExpressCard slot - which your laptop may not have, depending on its age! - The Lenovo does have an ExpressCard slot

However, on a personal note. By the time you've purchased the adapter, and a new video card, and got a extra chunk of unwieldy hardware on your desk, you might have been better buying a new laptop anyway.

Keith

There are 10 types of people in this world ....... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Softplan user since version 5.5.2.5

www.homehardwarekingston.ca

#3 Tim Stockton

Tim Stockton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 313 posts
  • LocationWichita, KS

Posted 27 April 2015 - 07:36 AM

Thanks Keith.  The W530 is a higher end mobile work station, so it does have the ability to switch out graphic cards - part of the reason I wanted it. 

I'm in the states in Kansas.  I've checked Tiger Direct, NewEgg and Geeks.com.

I've found these sites to be not too friendly anymore.  They used to be a lot easier to work with than their current versions.  I was hoping to find another place to be a good source for parts like this.

Budget wise - I don't want to spend too much - maybe $300-$400 range.

#4 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,098 posts

Posted 27 April 2015 - 08:58 AM

Everything, I've read online, leads me to believe you are wrong - it had a choice of graphics when produced, but I don't think that meant that it had replaceable cards. Every thread I can find implies that the GPU in the W530 is soldered to the motherboard, and NOT a user replaceable item. However, I hope they are wrong. Good Luck.

I've always found that NEWEGG and AMAZON have quick reliable delivery ... Why is NEWEGG not friendly anymore?

Keith

There are 10 types of people in this world ....... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

#5 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,098 posts

Posted 28 April 2015 - 01:29 PM

Please check carefully that you can replace the graphics card, and if so, what with, before you try and purchase anything.

Keith

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users