#1 Joseph Smith

Joseph Smith

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 824 posts
  • LocationWI

Posted 18 October 2018 - 11:53 AM

Deck stairs always cause me grief.  Another great subject for Fundamental Fridays...........deck, with complex stair and rail design!

mine isn't working as i'd hoped...yet.  might have to explode this chunk and raise the end newel.

Attached Files

Joseph A. Smith

http://granitedesigngroup.com

#2 Joseph Smith

Joseph Smith

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 824 posts
  • LocationWI

Posted 18 October 2018 - 12:45 PM

think i got it!  had to explode the rail to sections then deselect cleanup to make it accurate.  Fingers crossed it will look the same when i close and reopen the project.

Attached Files

Joseph A. Smith

#3 Mark Petri

Mark Petri

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,512 posts
  • LocationEvergreen, CO

Posted 29 October 2018 - 03:11 PM

I find railings to be so problematic I generally don't show them. If I do, I often separate posts from railing parts if anything is changing elevation as with stairs or ramps. It is super frustrating. But, stairs don't really model correctly either, so if you have to be accurate, building them out of 3D solids or in a program like SketchUp is almost easier.

Mark Petri

Petri Building and Design

#4 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,099 posts
  • LocationBrockville, Ontario, Canada

Posted 29 October 2018 - 07:41 PM

I don't normally worry about things not modelling perfectly - even though I'm anal about other things. Typically the client is only looking at the overall impression anyway ... there's only the designer worried about them being perfect.

A long time ago a colleague noted ... "it really doesn't need to be exact ... when it's printed out at 1/4" = 1'-0" you can't see it anyway!".

Keith

There are 10 types of people in this world ....... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Softplan user since version 5.5.2.5

www.homehardwarekingston.ca

#5 Mark Petri

Mark Petri

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,512 posts
  • LocationEvergreen, CO

Posted 30 October 2018 - 08:08 AM

I find many contractors rely heavily on the drawings accuracy. It is not okay with me that certain parts of a 3D model or plan cannot model correctly. So, I either model correctly or make a reference to a detail to be sure nobody gets too confused. Certainly there are items that do not matter, but I've had plan reviewers make comments on drawings for clarification on some things that did not model correctly.

• Dion Mulrooney likes this

Mark Petri

Petri Building and Design

#6 Joseph Smith

Joseph Smith

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 824 posts
  • LocationWI

Posted 30 October 2018 - 08:35 AM

I do the best i can with time being my enemy.  I understand perfection with intricate stair parts may not happen, however i wish that once i have things positioned correctly they would not re position for ANY reason when the plan is reopened.  I have found that moving that solid lollypops away from the stair and getting them to turn hollow helps keep the stairs, railings and landing panels from updating and moving.  i've found this logic to help me with concrete slabs and floor system components.  Things wont move if they're not associated to anything. 

• Mark Petri, Keith Almond and Tom Rogers like this

Joseph A. Smith

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users