20 replies to this topic

#1 Jonathan Evans

Jonathan Evans

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 06 November 2018 - 08:28 PM

I exported a softplan drawing to dwg for my engineer to look at. He made changes to the dwg using autocad can I import that back into softplan? and if so what are the steps. Thank you

#2 Dennis Hilborn

Dennis Hilborn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 816 posts
  • LocationDFW Texas

Posted 06 November 2018 - 08:44 PM

click on "IMPORT" then "DWG"

#3 Yvon Gonthier

Yvon Gonthier

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,288 posts
  • LocationOttawa

Posted 07 November 2018 - 07:27 AM

You can import back as per Dennis instruction but it will not revert back to full Softplan drawings (lots of lines instead of walls, etc...)

#4 Dennis Hilborn

Dennis Hilborn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 816 posts
  • LocationDFW Texas

Posted 07 November 2018 - 07:54 AM

You can import back as per Dennis instruction but it will not revert back to full Softplan drawings (lots of lines instead of walls, etc...)

That is correct.

I place the new drawing on a unique layer, then move the imported drawing into place and just use it to guide my edits to get my SP drawing to match  the engineer's drawing.

#5 Brent Hyndman

Brent Hyndman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,549 posts

Posted 07 November 2018 - 08:58 AM

Thanks for the question Jonathan. Please read below and contact us in support if you need any help with how this works.

Our Roundtrip feature allows for our drawings to be exported to DWG, modified at another location in the DWG format and then imported back into SoftPlan with minimal or no loss of SoftPlan data from the original drawing. We actually send the original SoftPlan data within the DWG file. If areas of the drawing are left untouched when modified in AutoCAD, those areas will import back into SoftPlan in their original SoftPlan format.

The settings for how data is imported can be found in your System Options under 'Import Options'. We no longer ask the question upon import but rather use the settings that you have selected here. A video for the Roundtrip feature can be found here: 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zMmWJyJh1o

Attached Files

• John Jones, Yvon Gonthier, Steve and Carla Farnam and 2 others like this

#6 Yvon Gonthier

Yvon Gonthier

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,288 posts
  • LocationOttawa

Posted 07 November 2018 - 09:05 AM

I stand corrected. I'm glad. Thanks Brent

#7 Jonathan Evans

Jonathan Evans

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 08 November 2018 - 01:05 PM

Thanks for all the info. I dont know why but it did not import correctly I will send in a ticket and find out if it is just how the engineer manipulated it or what happen.

#8 Tom Yant

Tom Yant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 06 February 2019 - 07:55 PM

I am having issues Importing a DWG file, but imported a Image file (jpg). It seems like it is the same process, so I don't know why I cannot open the DWG in a new drawing. Thanks V14.

#9 Yvon Gonthier

Yvon Gonthier

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,288 posts
  • LocationOttawa

Posted 07 February 2019 - 07:32 AM

I am having issues Importing a DWG file, but imported a Image file (jpg). It seems like it is the same process, so I don't know why I cannot open the DWG in a new drawing. Thanks V14.

The DWG version might be to recent for V14 to work properly. The import has improved a lot with the latest versions of Softplan

#10 Dennis Hilborn

Dennis Hilborn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 816 posts
  • LocationDFW Texas

Posted 07 February 2019 - 08:55 AM

The DWG version might be to recent for V14 to work properly. The import has improved a lot with the latest versions of Softplan

If the version of dwg is too new then "Truview" available from Autodesk free will convert it down to whatever version you need.

#11 Tom Yant

Tom Yant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 09 February 2019 - 06:53 PM

Thanks you all for the info. I will get Truview. On a related topic: when I open a DWG or PDF, how can I trace over it? Do I Overlay the drawing or make a Multi? Not sure how to proceed.

#12 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,092 posts
  • LocationBrockville, Ontario, Canada

Posted 09 February 2019 - 08:23 PM

I'd use a locked layer to put the DWG or PDF onto.

You can also change DWG lines into SOFTPLAN walls. TOOLS > CONVERT SHAPE TO WALL ... Pick a wall type and then click the shapes to convert. You will need to cleanup the dimensions, but it's much faster than tracing, as you have to cleanup the dimensions then anyway.

Keith

There are 10 types of people in this world ....... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Softplan user since version 5.5.2.5

www.homehardwarekingston.ca

#13 Tom Yant

Tom Yant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 11 February 2019 - 07:06 PM

Thanks Keith for the Overlay  idea. I haven't tried it yet, but  I will.

#14 Tom Yant

Tom Yant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 17 February 2019 - 05:59 PM

Keith or anyone, I imported a CAD drawing after converting via Truview  to  format 2000, that my V2014 can read. I am not sure how to set the layers, the scale, etc of the drawing.

I put it on a blank drawing with a default layer and layer 1. That worked ok, but what about the scaling? Can I use copy and paste to  take out parts of the original drawing, like a Section or Detail?

Thanks

#15 Heath Foster

Heath Foster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 17 February 2019 - 07:00 PM

Try the edit tab. Then adjust size.

#16 Dennis Hilborn

Dennis Hilborn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 816 posts
  • LocationDFW Texas

Posted 17 February 2019 - 08:59 PM

It should have come in at the scale it was originally. 

#17 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,092 posts

Posted 17 February 2019 - 09:11 PM

Once the AutoCAD data is in Softplan, you can use copy and paste to do anything you want.

As regards the scaling, as Heath said EDIT > ADJUST SIZE

From Softplan's HELP files:

·    To scale objects using distance:

i.    Select the radio button Distance.

ii.   In the Length field enter the length to which you want to scale the item or items and click ok.

iii.  On the drawing area, draw the length that is to be equal to the length that you entered in the Adjust Size menu.

Block Select the whole drawing, and select each end of a known length on the drawing.

Keith

There are 10 types of people in this world ....... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

#18 Michael Collazo

Michael Collazo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 18 February 2019 - 02:48 PM

Once the AutoCAD data is in Softplan, you can use copy and paste to do anything you want.

As regards the scaling, as Heath said EDIT > ADJUST SIZE

From Softplan's HELP files:

·    To scale objects using distance:

i.    Select the radio button Distance.

ii.   In the Length field enter the length to which you want to scale the item or items and click ok.

iii.  On the drawing area, draw the length that is to be equal to the length that you entered in the Adjust Size menu.

Block Select the whole drawing, and select each end of a known length on the drawing.

I am a little confused. How are you supposed to use adjust on an imported cad file? They do not import as symbols.They are lines. You would have to use scale.

Michael A Collazo

Planmark Design Studio, LLC

Tampa, Florida

http://planmarkstudio.com

info@planmarkstudio.com

#19 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,092 posts

Posted 18 February 2019 - 03:34 PM

No ...

the EDIT > ADJUST SIZE as opposed to the MOVE > ADJUST, adjusts the size of ANYTHING inside the selection window. So for example if you have a bathtub that you know is 60" long exactly, that is scaled incorrectly, then CTRL select everything you want to be scaled correctly, EDIT > ADJUST SIZE, Select DISTANCE ... Input 60" then click each end of the bathtub. The bathtub will be adjusted to be 60" long and everything else will be scaled proportionally ... The key is having a known distance inside the items you need to adjust.

Experiment with it ...

Keith

#20 Michael Collazo

Michael Collazo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 19 February 2019 - 12:51 PM

No ...

the EDIT > ADJUST SIZE as opposed to the MOVE > ADJUST, adjusts the size of ANYTHING inside the selection window. So for example if you have a bathtub that you know is 60" long exactly, that is scaled incorrectly, then CTRL select everything you want to be scaled correctly, EDIT > ADJUST SIZE, Select DISTANCE ... Input 60" then click each end of the bathtub. The bathtub will be adjusted to be 60" long and everything else will be scaled proportionally ... The key is having a known distance inside the items you need to adjust.

Experiment with it ...

Ahhh. I am so used to using scale. Never used distance. Thanks!

Michael A Collazo

Planmark Design Studio, LLC

Tampa, Florida

http://planmarkstudio.com

info@planmarkstudio.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users