7 replies to this topic

#1 Brent Greener

Brent Greener

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 12 December 2018 - 10:02 AM

I need to replace one of my PC's and am wondering what it the best thing to get for the fastest and best rendering of 3D fly around. Is it strictly in the processor or does a high end graphics card help?

#2 Martin Livingston

Martin Livingston

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 692 posts
  • LocationHalifax, Nova Scotia

Posted 12 December 2018 - 11:07 AM

Both but a high end video card with its own processing capacity and dedicated RAM go al long way to quick renderings.

Five out of four people are not very good with fractions

www.cresco.ca

#3 Chris Proost

Chris Proost

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
  • LocationRichmond, VA

Posted 13 December 2018 - 08:00 AM

I agree, get a high end graphics card. I've got a 5 year old i7 processor but a top of the line NVIDIA ASUS 1080 graphics card and its a beautiful thing.

#4 Sam Morgan

Sam Morgan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 849 posts

Posted 13 December 2018 - 04:52 PM

Depends on what you're doing.  Once you go into  ray traced in softplan, its all CPU.  GPU doesn't have much to do with it.  Buy the best machine you can and keep it for years!

#5 Greg Cherry

Greg Cherry

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
  • LocationShelbyville Indiana

Posted 13 December 2018 - 08:54 PM

It has been a very good year, so I had to decide to give more of my earnings to Uncle Sam or My Business. Guess who won. So I built a new system because it had been a while since the last build and I wanted to get into renderings for presentation.
Purchased a AMD 2990WX cpu and never looked back. It eats renderings for breakfast. I highly recommend it if you are doing a lot of ray traced renderings

#6 Mike Feinstein

Mike Feinstein

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • LocationChicago, Il

Posted 18 December 2018 - 09:39 AM

I researched this topic a while back an found that the best GAMING VIDEO CARD you can afford will work wonders. I use an ASUS laptop and could only afford "middle of the road", the NVIDIA GeForce 940MX. Seems to work OK with both SP and Lumion.

Mike

Gen-One Construction, INC.

#7 Brent Greener

Brent Greener

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 18 December 2018 - 10:35 AM

I went with an i7-8700 and the GTX 1070 with 8GB

#8 Joseph Smith

Joseph Smith

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 824 posts
  • LocationWI

Posted 06 January 2019 - 05:23 PM

My new Alienware R5 17 has i7-8950 and GTX 1070.  Raytrace still sucks for speed, I rarely render, I use Textured mode which uses the graphics processor.  No major change will happen with render quality and speed till Softplan changes their render engine.  We've been discussing this for many years.  Not holding out hope for V2020.

Joseph A. Smith

http://granitedesigngroup.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users