12 replies to this topic

#1 Troy Lachcik

Troy Lachcik

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 10 January 2019 - 09:09 AM

Has anyone else had issues opening a project thru windows explorer? On some of our projects when you double click the project icon it will open softplan but not the project.  We have been having this issue now for some time and need a fix for it.

• Dennis Hilborn likes this

#2 Steve Haarmann

Steve Haarmann

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 645 posts

Posted 10 January 2019 - 09:39 AM

I would recommend launching Softplan first and then use File > Open from the Softplan start window.

Especially if you have multiple installs of SoftPlan (like V2016 and V2018)

• John Jones likes this

#3 Dennis Hilborn

Dennis Hilborn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 816 posts
  • LocationDFW Texas

Posted 10 January 2019 - 09:51 AM

Yes I have occasionally have the same issue.  I just open it up after launching SP the proper way.  I have about 100 projects at some stage of completion so I'm opening up lots of different drawings in a day and it's easier to just open from the file.  Too bad that it doesn't work perfectly.

#4 Troy Lachcik

Troy Lachcik

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 10 January 2019 - 10:07 AM

I understand that this isnt the recommended way of doing things. With that why is it happening only to some projects and not others. Every other program can do this why is it an issue here. 

#5 Brian Berzinskis

Brian Berzinskis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 10 January 2019 - 01:30 PM

I have had this problem in the past also and intermittently over time. I used to find that deleting the main SoftPlan Project FIle (SPP) and then opening one of the SoftPlan Drawing Files (SPD) would force it to create a new SPP file and then the problem would sometimes go away. The down side is that obviously there is information stored in the SPP file that would be lost if you delete it. For me the convenience of opening directly from Windows Explorer was worth the time of re-creating the SPP file.

I am not sure what actually would cause the error and why it would get fixed by doing that but it worked for me and it was only very few projects over time so it did not matter to figure it out.

#6 Brad Graber

Brad Graber

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 16 January 2019 - 06:53 AM

I do not believe softplan has ever worked by double clicking the .spp file.  it opens softplan, but not the project as you have discovered.  This has always baffled me, as any other software I have ever used was able to do that.  

#7 Dennis Hilborn

Dennis Hilborn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 816 posts
  • LocationDFW Texas

Posted 16 January 2019 - 08:23 AM

I do not believe softplan has ever worked by double clicking the .spp file.  it opens softplan, but not the project as you have discovered.  This has always baffled me, as any other software I have ever used was able to do that.  

I open projects quite often by doing just that.  The only time it has gotten me into trouble is forgetting that I already have that project open and opening another session of it.  Then I have edits in both versions and can only save one of them.

I am trying to get into the habit of opening SP thru the main page, but it's just so much more convenient to open from the project file.

#8 Brian Berzinskis

Brian Berzinskis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 17 January 2019 - 01:14 PM

I often open the SoftPlan file directly from the SPP file and have not had any issue with it. I also open the specific SoftPlan Drawing files without an issue straight from Windows Explorer.

#9 Amelia Zabel

Amelia Zabel

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 17 January 2019 - 04:12 PM

Hi Brendon,

Maybe this will help, because I always open softplan files form windows explorer, If you have a dash in the the name with a space before and after it won't open from explorer, our projects have 'NV' numbers,  if I name the folder, for example, NV00019-Johnson residence, it will open fine, if I name the folder NV00019 - Johnson residence, with spaces next to the dash it will just open softplan, it took me more than a year to finally figure this out, since version 7 we always had the spaces, then with version 2012 I think I had a heck of a time opening softplan files from windows explorer, I just tested this and it still does it so hopefully that is the issue.

#10 Brian Berzinskis

Brian Berzinskis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 18 January 2019 - 09:48 AM

Hi Brendon,

Maybe this will help, because I always open softplan files form windows explorer, If you have a dash in the the name with a space before and after it won't open from explorer, our projects have 'NV' numbers,  if I name the folder, for example, NV00019-Johnson residence, it will open fine, if I name the folder NV00019 - Johnson residence, with spaces next to the dash it will just open softplan, it took me more than a year to finally figure this out, since version 7 we always had the spaces, then with version 2012 I think I had a heck of a time opening softplan files from windows explorer, I just tested this and it still does it so hopefully that is the issue.

That is good to know. I name all my files with dashes but only spaces after the dash sometimes. We also use an enumerating system based on the job proposal year month and number.

[CN#019-01-031] JOHNSON- 123 MAIN STREET- TOWNSHIP- B12 L5.03

So all my dashes are only followed by spaces and I do not have a problem typically opening my files straight from Windows Explorer because that is the main way that we do it.

#11 Amelia Zabel

Amelia Zabel

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 18 January 2019 - 10:16 AM

No problem, I discovered it completely by accident, I can't remember which version it was we updated to, but boy was it annoying, haha, it seems one space after the dash is ok, but for some reason it doesn't like a space before the dash, so I wonder if it's a softplan issue or a windows issue.

#12 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,096 posts
  • LocationBrockville, Ontario, Canada

Posted 18 January 2019 - 08:20 PM

Thanks Wes, I hadn't realized that was the case. I've never been able to open either projects or drawings through Explorer

99.9% of all my projects WON'T open from Windows Explorer, they can only be opened from the Softplan menu's. Windows Explorer ONLY ever opens Softplan for me. However, since you mentioned it, I tried opening an drawing called Test in a directory called Test and it opened fine.

I think that I'll stick to opening projects through Softplan to be on the safe side.

Keith

There are 10 types of people in this world ....... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Softplan user since version 5.5.2.5

www.homehardwarekingston.ca

#13 Troy Lachcik

Troy Lachcik

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 21 January 2019 - 09:23 AM

Thank you so much Wes. That totally fixed our problem.  Didnt even think about the name of the project being the problem. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users