29 replies to this topic

#1 Kenneth Maye

Kenneth Maye

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • LocationLouisiana

Posted 02 May 2015 - 12:23 PM

In v2014 and before, I could zoom in and out with my middle mouse button with ease. Now I find it next to impossible to zoom or navigate w/middle mouse button and it is incredibly frustrating. Has anyone else noticed this? 

Ken

v12 - 2016 and beyond!

#2 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,092 posts
  • LocationBrockville, Ontario, Canada

Posted 02 May 2015 - 02:48 PM

In 2014 I found it very frustrating when zooming in 3D if you get too far out, it takes forever to zoom back in. However I don't see a great deal of difference in 2016.
Keith

There are 10 types of people in this world ....... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Softplan user since version 5.5.2.5

www.homehardwarekingston.ca

#3 Kenneth Maye

Kenneth Maye

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • LocationLouisiana

Posted 02 May 2015 - 03:15 PM

That's odd....in 2014 I could zoom in and out quickly using the wheel. Also find that it's just as maddeningly slow using the up and down arrow keys in 2016. It's so bad that I find myself almost swearing at the screen! I am going to finish these 2 projects I started in 2016 and go back to 2014 until they fix it. I sure wish they'd make this program backwards compatible like just about every other cad program out there!

Ken

v12 - 2016 and beyond!

#4 Sam Morgan

Sam Morgan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 842 posts

Posted 02 May 2015 - 04:37 PM

No problems here with that.  Multitude of other issues that haven't been addressed yet.

#5 randolph cohn

randolph cohn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 869 posts
  • Locationmarin county - california

Posted 02 May 2015 - 04:48 PM

i just opened the same sample drawing in 2014 and 2016 and made sure i had the same extraction options

checked and UNchecked in both versions on the same sample drawings.

i couldn't see a difference when using the wheel to zoom in and out.

randy

v10 to future 2016+ ;)

#6 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,092 posts

Posted 02 May 2015 - 05:49 PM

Do you have the 3D zoom speed set to the maximum in SYSTEM OPTIONS?

Keith

There are 10 types of people in this world ....... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

#7 randolph cohn

randolph cohn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 869 posts

Posted 02 May 2015 - 06:55 PM

yes on zoom speed question > set to maximum.

hold on,  i better re-check that.

v2014 3d zoom wasn't on fastest, it is now.

your right,

zoom speed is fastest on v2014 >

note:

i sent a suggestion into tech via softplan suggestion area on the main SP site.

i didn't think it required a ticket which i've never used.

randy

v10 to future 2016+ ;)

#8 Kenneth Maye

Kenneth Maye

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • LocationLouisiana

Posted 02 May 2015 - 08:51 PM

I didn't know that there was a system option for zoom speed.......That being said; I went in and tweaked it to maximum, with pathetically minimal results. In addition to zooming in and out in a somewhat faster, yet still maddeningly slow fashion; I noticed that after a couple of tries to zoom in or out; the camera starts moving up and down on the model instead of in and out! Another reason to want to throw the mouse across the room! And I haven't even tried to record an animation yet - nor shall I because if I have to deal with this while trying to record an animation; I may just quit updating by subscription entirely! With each new update, why do we gain a few good things, yet seem to lose as many, if not more even better things we have gotten used to in terms of functionality from previous versions (the inability to zoom in and out is just one of MANY)? Am I alone here?

Ken

v12 - 2016 and beyond!

#9 John Atchley

John Atchley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
  • LocationNW CT

Posted 03 May 2015 - 06:17 AM

Are you holding down the alt key while using the arrow keys? That really speeds it up

#10 Kenneth Maye

Kenneth Maye

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • LocationLouisiana

Posted 03 May 2015 - 10:17 AM

Thanks for the tip, that did help; both with the arrow keys and the mouse wheel - I just have to make sure to press the alt key first, not simultaneously. One other thing I have noticed is that the zoom engine or algorithm (or whatever it is called) jerks the camera down in z-height to about eye level when in close proximity to the model. If I were to hazard a guess, I'd say that it was part of the new animation fly-through feature, but it is annoying when you're just navigating around the model in 3D to have to keep adjusting the camera z elevation.

Ken

v12 - 2016 and beyond!

#11 John Atchley

John Atchley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
  • LocationNW CT

Posted 03 May 2015 - 10:40 AM

I agree on the view Z height changing. It is definitely part of the walk thru but hard to get used to. If I have my camera up high I tend to want it to stay high and not drop me down to ground level.

#12 Kenneth Maye

Kenneth Maye

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • LocationLouisiana

Posted 03 May 2015 - 11:42 AM

Oh well, maybe they'll give us the option to differentiate between walk-thru and general navigating modes. Personally I do a lot more of the latter than the former; and though I haven't learned the technique and started to produce walk through animations yet, that fact would remain true. After all, the animation is something you do AFTER you've perfected your model and is, at least for me, a very small part of what I use the 3D tab for. I'm constantly viewing the model and moving in and around it during the whole design process and I don't like this new behavior.

Ken

v12 - 2016 and beyond!

#13 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,092 posts

Posted 03 May 2015 - 04:38 PM

Again, I've learn't something ... Didn't know that ALT speeded up the zoom.

I would however, be much more comfortable if the "ALT speed" was standard, and you used ALT to slow it down if required. Although I'm at a loss to understand why we actually have a speed setting. I personally can't imagine anyone wanting to slow the "pathetically slow" maximum zoom speed down any further. Just as a slight aside does ANYONE feel the need to have the zoom set at anything other than maximum?

I've noticed that sometimes when rotating the model you can get a long way out - Never been able to figure out why - and it takes forever to zoom back in. The zoom appears to get faster as it gets nearer to the model, but that may be an optical thing. Same thing with elevations. If you have the elevations extracting with the site on .... again it takes forever to zoom back in to the actual elevation.

The "Z" movement is something I'm learning to live with I understand that it is tied to the walkthrough animation, and I'll live with it. I'd like to see the "Z" axis being able to be fixed so that rotating the model means viewing every side from EYE level anyway. Maybe the moving "Z" with ground level will give that effect. Not sure about that.

Again, personally, I don't see me ever producing a walkthrough for the client. That means every piece of furniture and every wall junction and finish etc. has to be perfect (The time taken to make cathedral dormers work from the inside is usually not worth the bother). Not sure I'm ever going to have that time frame to play in. Most of my clients only care about getting a building permit - preferably YESTERDAY.

• Mike Adams likes this
Keith

#14 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,092 posts

Posted 03 May 2015 - 07:24 PM

...... I sure wish they'd make this program backwards compatible like just about every other cad program out there!

AutoCad isn't backwardly compatible ... I've had lots of notifications with my ancient AutoCad that say "This drawing was created with an incompatible version" or words to that effect.

EDIT: Apologies, senior moment ... of course it's backwardly compatible. It's forward compatible that's a problem.

Keith

#15 Brad Graber

Brad Graber

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 04 May 2015 - 06:53 AM

I had to email tech about the same issue and they told me about the alt key.  Looks like i'm too late to the party to be of any help there. 

I also concur about the zoom changing down to the z-height.  It really makes it tough when trying to zoom in on something on the second floor.  Everytime you zoom the camera wants to walk down. 

#16 Kenneth Maye

Kenneth Maye

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • LocationLouisiana

Posted 04 May 2015 - 07:11 AM

Keith, you say your ACad version is ancient.......could it be that ACad no longer steps back that far? I know that you can save SketchUp models back to version 3 which I guess is pretty much all the way back.

Ken

v12 - 2016 and beyond!

#17 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,092 posts

Posted 04 May 2015 - 07:35 AM

Apologies, senior moment ... of course it's backwardly compatible. It's forward compatible that's a problem.

Having said that, if the measure of backward compatibility is the ability to "receive, read, view or play older standards or formats", then Softplan is also backwardly compatible. It just won't allow you to save as an earlier version.

Keith

#18 randolph cohn

randolph cohn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 869 posts

Posted 04 May 2015 - 11:55 AM

sent in suggestion to tech about speeding up the zooming - in/out

and here's their reply

=========================================================

The speed of the 3D zoom has been intentionally decreased from the
previous
version to facilitate the new Animation features.

You can increase
the 3D zoom speed under File > System Options > Setup
Options > 3D Zoom Speed.
Also, when walking forward/backward, hold down the
Alt key (Alt = run
forward/backward)

You can try turning on Windows Sticky keys (Windows Start

button > Control Panel > Ease of Access > Make the Keyboard easier to use),

such that you only need to tab Alt once to enable it, so you do not need to

continually hold down the Alt key. You concern has been noted and forwarded

to development.

randy

v10 to future 2016+ ;)

#19 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,092 posts

Posted 04 May 2015 - 12:02 PM

To be honest, now that I have LEARN'T about the ALT key "RUN", It's not really an issue anymore .... Not for me anyway.

Keith

#20 Kenneth Maye

Kenneth Maye

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • LocationLouisiana

Posted 04 May 2015 - 10:21 PM

Apologies, senior moment ... of course it's backwardly compatible. It's forward compatible that's a problem.

Having said that, if the measure of backward compatibility is the ability to "receive, read, view or play older standards or formats", then Softplan is also backwardly compatible. It just won't allow you to save as an earlier version.

Yeah, saving to an earlier version is what I was getting at. Sure any program will allow you to open content created with earlier versions of the software - it's being able to save back to an earlier version once opened in a newer version that is of value to me, at least. 

Ken

v12 - 2016 and beyond!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users