• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Kyle Schroeder

Kyle Schroeder

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 05 February 2019 - 09:38 AM

Can material be rearranged in wall definition without creating a complete new list? I created a new 9’ wall with a 36” siding A (wainscot) and siding B 36” - 108”. It would have been much simpler to insert siding B right below A rather than redefining whole new wall.
  • Dennis Hilborn likes this

#2 Dennis Hilborn

Dennis Hilborn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 816 posts
  • LocationDFW Texas

Posted 05 February 2019 - 09:53 AM

Can material be rearranged in wall definition without creating a complete new list? I created a new 9’ wall with a 36” siding A (wainscot) and siding B 36” - 108”. It would have been much simpler to insert siding B right below A rather than redefining whole new wall.

Do a saveas and the edit the new file, then you won't have to redefine the whole new wall.

#3 Kyle Schroeder

Kyle Schroeder

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 05 February 2019 - 10:00 AM

Is it possible to insert material in front or behind others without deleting material?

#4 Joseph Smith

Joseph Smith

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 824 posts
  • LocationWI

Posted 05 February 2019 - 10:17 AM

Sure you can place materials in front of others if you want.  But its better to do a save as then make yourself another wall exactly like it would be framed.  Watch your Horiz start if you pack on material in front of other material, the Horiz Start on your added material may have to be adjusted.  I always start as 0" being the furthest sticking out exterior material.  in my attached case it would be my stone ledge cap (concrete B ) set to 0"

Creating walls is tricky at the beginning but a worthwhile approach for EVERY different wall you may possibly use.

Attached Files

Joseph A. Smith

http://granitedesigngroup.com

#5 Kyle Schroeder

Kyle Schroeder

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 05 February 2019 - 10:48 AM

Thanks. That’s what I ended up doing was creating a wall from the beginning. Is there a resource that explains the options of all the criteria .. like pens.. etc.?

#6 Joseph Smith

Joseph Smith

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 824 posts
  • LocationWI

Posted 05 February 2019 - 11:54 AM

I actually had luck on finding info on this one in the SP Help section.  Pretty detailed on explaining all the entries for a new wall.  Back in the day all the stuff in help was supplied in a 2" thick reference book. (very handy)

Attached Files

Joseph A. Smith

http://granitedesigngroup.com

#7 Kyle Schroeder

Kyle Schroeder

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 05 February 2019 - 01:44 PM

Thanks again Joseph!

#8 Tom Rogers

Tom Rogers

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,159 posts
  • LocationVilla Rica, Georgia

Posted 09 February 2019 - 02:02 PM

Make sure that when you adjust a HORIZ start that you watch where the material moves.  Many times I have adjusted the start and the materials get resorted in the list causing me mess up another material because I wasn't paying attention.  

"remember... what we are building today, should be what we want in the future"​
Version 10 to Version 2024+ and beyond
www.residentialproductions.com

#9 Dennis Hilborn

Dennis Hilborn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 816 posts
  • LocationDFW Texas

Posted 09 February 2019 - 02:07 PM

Make sure that when you adjust a HORIZ start that you watch where the material moves.  Many times I have adjusted the start and the materials get resorted in the list causing me mess up another material because I wasn't paying attention.  

I wish the list didn't resort until you save the wall.  You really have to pay attention to what you are adjusting. 

• Gary McKeon and Tom Rogers like this

#10 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,098 posts
  • LocationBrockville, Ontario, Canada

Posted 09 February 2019 - 08:15 PM

if the wall doesn't resort until the end, it can get really complicated adding multiple materials ... I like it as it is.

What I don't like is when you change Siding A to Siding B, and it forces you to reset all the pens and colours. Although I've come up with a plan to workround that too.

Instead of editing Siding A to Siding B, Add a Siding B material, click on the left most material of Siding A to highlight the whole row, then use CTRL to deselect the dropdown material column , and right click and copy everything. Then go to the first dimension column of Siding B and paste everything in. Siding B will then be a duplicate of Siding A, and then delete Siding A.

Keith

There are 10 types of people in this world ....... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Softplan user since version 5.5.2.5

www.homehardwarekingston.ca

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users