• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Shay Bashaw

Shay Bashaw

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 14 February 2019 - 03:26 PM

This may be a dumb question (hopefully with a simple solution), but I cannot figure out how to select various objects which overlap each other.  

For example,

I have a typical concrete wall in plan view with the typical concrete texture.  I want to add a hatch pattern using the paint command to differentiate new concrete wall from the existing concrete wall.  However, after I paint the section of wall with the hatch pattern, I cannot select the paint to edit it as it always selects the wall itself.  

I have tried send to back or bring to front under the 'common' tab, this seems to have zero effect.  (perhaps some tips on how to use this function properly would be useful as well)

Is there a simple keyboard shortcut I am missing to cycle through selecting items?  Or is there a different way to select it?

Thanks in advance!

#2 Gary McKeon

Gary McKeon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 556 posts
  • LocationSilverton Oregon

Posted 14 February 2019 - 04:13 PM

Usually you can just right click where you want and if there are multiple items present then Softplan shows them. You then pick which one you want and then what action you want to take. Have you tried that?

• John Jones likes this

#3 Henry Buckner

Henry Buckner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 342 posts

Posted 14 February 2019 - 04:14 PM

Right click on the objects. You will get a menu that will allow you to pick the one you want.

• John Jones likes this

#4 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,094 posts
  • LocationBrockville, Ontario, Canada

Posted 14 February 2019 - 07:19 PM

Yes, there is a simple command ... LOCATE. To edit paint, select edit, and then USE CTRL-L - Locate - and select paint. Then Softplan will only find paints to apply to the current command. The Locate remains in force until you select another command, so you can edit multiple paints at the same time.

Keith

There are 10 types of people in this world ....... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Softplan user since version 5.5.2.5

www.homehardwarekingston.ca

#5 Philip Frank

Philip Frank

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 560 posts
  • LocationMaine, USA

Posted 15 February 2019 - 10:53 AM

Are you drawing your concrete walls using the "Wall" tool? if so, why not just add a texture (paint) to the wall definition. If you need a different texture for the existing concrete walls, do a "Save As" of the wall definition and create a new wall with a different texture. This will save you from having to "Paint" the inside of the wall.

Attached Thumbnails

• Concrete texture.JPG

• Jim Johnson and Michael Collazo like this

#6 Shay Bashaw

Shay Bashaw

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 16 February 2019 - 02:11 PM

Ahh Hah!!!!

Thank you all very much for your answers!  The right click is the perfect solution to my problem, i had never thought to try that.

Keith,

the locate command works as well, although a bit more time consuming.  Thanks!

Philip,

Yes  of course, I am using the concrete texture in my wall definition.  The challenge arises when i want to use two different textures overlapping as a fill for one particular wall.  For this example, the concrete (triangles) texture as well as a diagonal line texture.  Both together is how i indicate "new' concrete wall for addition projects.

Thanks again to all!

#7 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,094 posts
  • LocationBrockville, Ontario, Canada

Posted 16 February 2019 - 02:43 PM

The texture patterns include both a triange pattern (typically poured concrete) and a hatched triangular pattern (typically concrete blockwork) you can easily define an existing wall with the hatched triangle pattern.

2019.02.16_15h40m55s_003.png

Keith

There are 10 types of people in this world ....... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Softplan user since version 5.5.2.5

www.homehardwarekingston.ca

#8 Shay Bashaw

Shay Bashaw

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 20 February 2019 - 03:25 PM

Thanks Keith,

I had not noticed this texture pattern!

#9 Tom Rogers

Tom Rogers

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,159 posts
  • LocationVilla Rica, Georgia

Posted 28 February 2019 - 06:16 AM

to follow up on his original question, I have a set of 18" deep peninsula base cabinets with the similar size wall cabinets above, so they all lineup.  Without going to the 3D view to edit, how can I pick the walls instead of the base?  Currently, when I right click, it just comes up cabinet.  Not "base" or "wall"

"remember... what we are building today, should be what we want in the future"​
Version 10 to Version 2024+ and beyond
www.residentialproductions.com

#10 David Zawadzki

David Zawadzki

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationBoise, Idaho

Posted 01 March 2019 - 09:57 AM

Have you tried working in elevation view?
SOFTPLAN user since 1991

www.idahocustomhomes.weebly.com

#11 Tom Rogers

Tom Rogers

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,159 posts
  • LocationVilla Rica, Georgia

Posted 01 March 2019 - 03:20 PM

That is how I have to do it but it seems it should be done easily in drawing mode on a floor plan

"remember... what we are building today, should be what we want in the future"​
Version 10 to Version 2024+ and beyond
www.residentialproductions.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users