#1 Jim Henderson

Jim Henderson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 07 March 2019 - 11:03 AM

YouTube Link: https://youtu.be/_tIPLflhkoo

SoftPlan version 2020 includes the option to import PDF drawings as shapes. This allows for the quick editing of items obtained from external sources such as surveys and details.

Attached Files

• John Jones and David Zawadzki like this

#2 Gerry Parsons

Gerry Parsons

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 09 March 2019 - 04:47 PM

Just subscribed to softplan+ yesterday for the first time.  Been a version 14 user for the past 10 years.

I need to open dwg file into softplan and am having no luck doing it.  Using windows 10 with a new laptop, the dwg is a 2013 format file.  I'm following the instructions but the import wizard stalls halfway through.  Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks

#3 Gary McKeon

Gary McKeon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 553 posts
  • LocationSilverton Oregon

Posted 09 March 2019 - 06:30 PM

Gerry,

Open up a blank drawing in Softplan and 'import' the dwg. Save it as you will. Softplan easily works with dwg's. If you have v2020 then there isn't a version of dwg's that you can't import. If you need more help email me and I'll be happy to assist.

#4 Tom Rogers

Tom Rogers

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,159 posts
  • LocationVilla Rica, Georgia

Posted 11 March 2019 - 07:35 AM

And keep patience Gerry.  Making that leap from v14 to 2020 is going to be huge.  It will be frustrating and a bit slower than you want at the beginning but be positive; lots to learn and lots of great improvements

• Brent Hyndman likes this

"remember... what we are building today, should be what we want in the future"​
Version 10 to Version 2024+ and beyond
www.residentialproductions.com

#5 Don Gibbons

Don Gibbons

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 375 posts

Posted 11 March 2019 - 07:50 AM

Large files will take time. Some of the larger ones I've imported have taken over 20 minutes.

#6 Ed Spronk

Ed Spronk

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 27 March 2019 - 03:04 PM

Why is my PDF showing up as a black box when is enter into the drawing? - the only thing I can see is the Surveyor's Logo.

I know the lines are in there -because when I move it or when it shows up the screen the  picture is there.

Can anyone help me?

#7 Ed Spronk

Ed Spronk

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 28 March 2019 - 09:28 AM

Never mind my request  - I seems to work fine today!.  - My computer just needed to get use to the new update!  lol

#8 Dennis Hilborn

Dennis Hilborn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 816 posts
  • LocationDFW Texas

Posted 28 March 2019 - 10:29 AM

Never mind my request  - I seems to work fine today!.  - My computer just needed to get use to the new update!  lol

You laugh but that may have been what happened.  Did you turn off your computer last night and turn it back on this morning? If so windows probably had some house keeping to do and made some alterations in the file system.

I used to be an assistant moderator on a forum for a flight simulator that was tricky to get to run sometimes.  My best suggestion was after installation reboot your computer TWICE or more.  Sometimes windows can't make all the changes in one shot.

#9 Dennis Hilborn

Dennis Hilborn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 816 posts
  • LocationDFW Texas

Posted 30 March 2019 - 09:07 AM

I tried out the "pdf to lines" feature.  I seems to work pretty well.  I can see some uses for it  in the future.

A couple of things that I noticed is as soon as the image comes in and the command is finished cancel the command before even moving your cursor.  Otherwise you might find SP is inserting several more copies.  Also Text comes in as separate shapes so it's not using an OCR during the transfer.  So if you're recreating a lot of text like a sheet with lots of notes find an ocr that works on pdf to pull off the text.

#10 Rick Massey

Rick Massey

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • LocationSalem Oregon

Posted 05 April 2019 - 12:56 PM

I've tried a couple PDF files to line import. The site drawings from my survey company looks like a mess of wide lines/ filled boxes and scribble with a few legible items here and there. A PDF I  previously exported from Softplan line imports ok. Any Ideas what's going on, why one will work and not the other?

#11 Thomas Roman

Thomas Roman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 341 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 05 April 2019 - 01:15 PM

Used the new PDF IMPORT TO SHAPES for first time today..

I imported a rather large site plan with topo lines, creek bed, wetland limit lines, etc..

It took me a bit to get to right scale..

But I have to say...  I LOVE IT !!

Ultimately, it worked like a charm... this will be a great new tool..

• John Jones and Keith Almond like this

#12 Gary McKeon

Gary McKeon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 553 posts

Posted 05 April 2019 - 02:49 PM

I've tried a couple PDF files to line import. The site drawings from my survey company looks like a mess of wide lines/ filled boxes and scribble with a few legible items here and there. A PDF I  previously exported from Softplan line imports ok. Any Ideas what's going on, why one will work and not the other?

Welcome Rick! First thing to look at is "visible items". Uncheck "display print pen style" and "show non-printable items" on the bottom of the pop-up. Might do the trick for you.

#13 Rick Massey

Rick Massey

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • LocationSalem Oregon

Posted 06 April 2019 - 11:13 AM

Welcome Rick! First thing to look at is "visible items". Uncheck "display print pen style" and "show non-printable items" on the bottom of the pop-up. Might do the trick for you.

Thanks Gary! I've been a softplan user since 1990. I started on the old DOS versions, but I am new to this forum.  I tried your suggestions, unfortunately it didn't change my results. It seems some PDF files won't line import well, yet others will. I noticed the ones that do import well show "lines" & "notes" in the import screen, the ones that don't import well show only  "lines" in the import screen even though they do contain notes.

#14 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,092 posts
  • LocationBrockville, Ontario, Canada

Posted 06 April 2019 - 12:32 PM

Used the new PDF IMPORT TO SHAPES for first time today..

I imported a rather large site plan with topo lines, creek bed, wetland limit lines, etc..

It took me a bit to get to right scale..

But I have to say...  I LOVE IT !!

Ultimately, it worked like a charm... this will be a great new tool..

Why was it a problem to scale?

EDIT > ADJUST SCALE in Distance mode should put the scale exact right in one operation. What was the issue?

Keith

There are 10 types of people in this world ....... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Softplan user since version 5.5.2.5

www.homehardwarekingston.ca

#15 Gary McKeon

Gary McKeon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 553 posts

Posted 06 April 2019 - 03:39 PM

Thanks Gary! I've been a softplan user since 1990. I started on the old DOS versions, but I am new to this forum.  I tried your suggestions, unfortunately it didn't change my results. It seems some PDF files won't line import well, yet others will. I noticed the ones that do import well show "lines" & "notes" in the import screen, the ones that don't import well show only  "lines" in the import screen even though they do contain notes.

Sounds like a great example to send off to Tech Support. The more of these types of issues they can get their hands on the better that tool will become. Yes, you are a long time user! I was not aware that there were others around here using the program. Good to know!

#16 Jason Bishop

Jason Bishop

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 294 posts

Posted 06 April 2019 - 07:43 PM

Same as Rick. Mine is a mess, unusable.

Importing as an image works OK. However adjusting the size to get it o scale sometimes causes the image to disappear and not come back.

I actually saved the drawing once it finally cooperated, but when reopened the image is gone again.

This could be a nice feature, but definitely needs the bugs worked out.

#17 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,092 posts
  • LocationBrockville, Ontario, Canada

Posted 06 April 2019 - 07:55 PM

One thing to note ...

Not all PDF's contain shapes. It depends on how the PDF was produced. As far as I'm aware, you can only IMPORT AS SHAPES from VECTOR PDF's. RASTER PDF's will only import as images.

• John Jones likes this
Keith

There are 10 types of people in this world ....... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Softplan user since version 5.5.2.5

www.homehardwarekingston.ca

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: #version 2020 #newfeatures

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users