#1 Dennis Hilborn

Dennis Hilborn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 816 posts
  • LocationDFW Texas

Posted 07 March 2019 - 11:09 AM

This is an existing house that I'm remodeling.  The roof shown is existing and it's location is set by the upper wall that is 8' tall.  How do I get the roof to extend down and cover the second floor as I tried to show in the drawing?  The ridge has to remain where it is now.  I can figure it out by trial and error but is there an easier way in SP?

Attached Thumbnails

• WALL.png

#2 Joseph Smith

Joseph Smith

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 824 posts
  • LocationWI

Posted 07 March 2019 - 11:47 AM

front roof plane lollypop needs to reference a first floor wall......not your second floor wall.  Or in my case i'd use a hidden (phantom) wall to connect the lollypop to outside the building a few feet.

Joseph A. Smith

http://granitedesigngroup.com

#3 Gary McKeon

Gary McKeon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 557 posts
  • LocationSilverton Oregon

Posted 07 March 2019 - 12:36 PM

And make sure you have "multiple floor roof" activated

#4 Dennis Hilborn

Dennis Hilborn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 816 posts
  • LocationDFW Texas

Posted 07 March 2019 - 12:41 PM

front roof plane lollypop needs to reference a first floor wall......not your second floor wall.  Or in my case i'd use a hidden (phantom) wall to connect the lollypop to outside the building a few feet.

Yes, I understood that.  I was trying to find an easy way to figure out how tall the front wall of the first floor should be to keep the roof plane in the same plane and still reference the lower front wall.  With out using math.

What I did was used the new anotated elevations in 2020 and going back and forth between annot. and model was able to visually set the wall height quickly.  Now it looks just like the existing.

#5 Philip Frank

Philip Frank

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 560 posts
  • LocationMaine, USA

Posted 07 March 2019 - 12:58 PM

You could also use the "Calculate Roof Edge Height" tool on the edit ribbon. I believe this works across multiple floors too.

Attached Thumbnails

• Roof edges.JPG

#6 Kevin Rabenaldt

Kevin Rabenaldt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 391 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio

Posted 07 March 2019 - 01:44 PM

SP has a built in calculator.  Measure the offset of the wall (old to new), you know the pitch, enter values and calculate the rise.  Subtract the rise from wall height to get the proper height.. Apply this wall height to side walls too.   Now when you draw in the extra roof it will be correct once you define the side walls roof reference as gable.

You can also grab the edge of roof and drag past the new wall, adjust wall to fit to roof.  Now you have the proper roof height.  Repeat edit side walls to match wall that was fitted to roof.   Move roof edge back. to your 8 foot wall.  Add roof over new section, and change side roof reference to gable. 

#7 Dennis Hilborn

Dennis Hilborn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 816 posts
  • LocationDFW Texas

Posted 07 March 2019 - 02:28 PM

Thanks, Kevin and Philip, this is what I was looking for.  I'll keep this in mind next time

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users