• Michael Landry, Heath Foster, Steven Wohlgemuth and 2 others like this

#262 Michael Collazo

Michael Collazo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 14 March 2020 - 01:37 PM

Whichever one has the most content or easiest content to add would be my choice. Some software does great and rendering but you have to find too much of the finishes and elements.

Michael A Collazo

Planmark Design Studio, LLC

Tampa, Florida

http://planmarkstudio.com

info@planmarkstudio.com

#263 Allen McDonnell

Allen McDonnell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 953 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 18 March 2020 - 07:33 AM

Nick, where is "live sync" with Softplan.  Come on already!!  Overall, is there not many Softplan/Lumion users?

• Nick Moorhead likes this

#264 Nick Moorhead

Nick Moorhead

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 24 March 2020 - 12:27 PM

Not sure Allen! Maybe its delayed because of the "Flu-pocalypse" ???  :P

Maybe when everyone gets back to work they will get on the ball. Although in the meantime I am enjoying this work-from-home thing! Be well Allen!

#265 Allen McDonnell

Allen McDonnell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 953 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 24 March 2020 - 01:36 PM

I could write a book about working at home.  A little different here right now..... Daughter and wife and a stay at home order!!!!

#266 Allen McDonnell

Allen McDonnell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 953 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 01 April 2020 - 09:37 AM

Gym addition to a house.  the rectangle in the rear with the transoms.  Stairs off mudd room leading to basement, etc, etc.

Attached Thumbnails

• 3_1 - Photo.jpg
  • 3_2 - Photo.jpg

#267 Guest_Derrik Bauer_*

Guest_Derrik Bauer_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 April 2020 - 12:08 PM

Is the siding on this rendering a texture or a profile on the wall assembly?

#268 Allen McDonnell

Allen McDonnell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 953 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 01 April 2020 - 05:53 PM

Profile!!  Only way to go!!!

#269 Allen McDonnell

Allen McDonnell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 953 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 01 April 2020 - 05:54 PM

If the pic was 4K you would notice a lot more detail.

#270 Michael Roman

Michael Roman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
  • LocationPeshtigo, WI

Posted 02 April 2020 - 07:01 AM

I agree about profile for siding.  I do my high end renderings in Sketchup and V-Ray and when you extract the siding profiles it makes a HUGE difference in the end product.

Many will say that when you get far enough away from the camera it doesn't matter anymore, but I diasagree.  Even from a distance it just looks better

• Allen McDonnell likes this

#271 Steven Wohlgemuth

Steven Wohlgemuth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts
  • LocationNew Brunswick Canada

Posted 02 April 2020 - 07:03 AM

Do you set the profile in Softplan?

Profile!!  Only way to go!!!

I agree about profile for siding.  I do my high end renderings in Sketchup and V-Ray and when you extract the siding profiles it makes a HUGE difference in the end product.

Many will say that when you get far enough away from the camera it doesn't matter anymore, but I diasagree.  Even from a distance it just looks better

#272 Allen McDonnell

Allen McDonnell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 953 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 02 April 2020 - 10:39 AM

Do you set the profile in Softplan?

Yes....Its part of my wall definition.

#273 Allen McDonnell

Allen McDonnell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 953 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 02 April 2020 - 10:45 AM

You dont get accurate shadows with flat texture that simulates a shadow line.   In lumion all i have to do is add a little weathering and that provides distinction.  Profiles are wonderful.  Board and Batten looks great.  Siding.  And hopefully one day Shake can be a profile.  That would be incredible.

#274 Allen McDonnell

Allen McDonnell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 953 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 02 April 2020 - 10:54 AM

couple close up of profiles.

again...these are 1920x1080.  4K looks much better.

a good metal roof profile would be nice.  i know there is a way to do it currently...but adds more to do.  

Attached Thumbnails

• z1.jpg
  • z2.jpg

• Denis Reis likes this

#275 Michael Roman

Michael Roman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
  • LocationPeshtigo, WI

Posted 02 April 2020 - 03:00 PM

Looks nice, Allen!

#276 Mark Petri

Mark Petri

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,497 posts
  • LocationEvergreen, CO

Posted 02 April 2020 - 04:20 PM

I noticed in the rendering Allen uploaded the wood texture on the front porch truss is all oriented horizontal, even on the rafter chord and braces. I agree the realism of a true standing seam roof material would be great. As it would with many other details of the components of a model. It is amazing how much better Lumion can make a model look even with the faults of the model.

I also find my horizontal siding profiles don't clean up very well between different drawings in the stack, and often parts of the vertical profiles are offset between floor levels. Certain parts of the model's exterior finishes lack proper fit and finish without several work-arounds. It makes close up realism hard to achieve in a reasonable amount of time. So, perspective, added accents, and the right angle come into play (or some disclaimer). Often I go back to a more sketchy and artistic rendering approach so as not to get the owner hung up on the color schemes or oddity of details that do not model correctly in SP. If I want something to render and replicate reality I use SketchUp or other methods to have full control and correctly model that component when SP lacks the ability.

Mark Petri

Petri Building and Design

#277 Allen McDonnell

Allen McDonnell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 953 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 03 April 2020 - 07:35 AM

Mark....that is laziness or efficiency on my part.  I could very easily build the timber truss out of solids and orientate all the grain correctly.  Please dont fault Lumion.

#278 Mark Petri

Mark Petri

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,497 posts
  • LocationEvergreen, CO

Posted 03 April 2020 - 09:04 AM

Allen,

No fault to Lumion. It is more the lack of basic detail in the model from SP. I feel in order to get the realistic look, SP ought to upgrade the way many of the details of their program model. The doors should be dynamic (SketchUp term) in that the sticking should remain the same size and the panels should shrink or enlarge. Trusses, rafters, beams, cabinets, roof overhangs, etc. should all be more "editable" and detailed to allow orientation of textures, details of sticking, etc. to be corrected or correctly oriented out of the box. Not that most of us can't deal with it or get past it, but it is a bit of a disappointment when a customer uses some free or cheap online program that does a better job. So, we know it is possible.

• Jim Johnson and Michael Roman like this

Mark Petri

Petri Building and Design

#279 Michael Roman

Michael Roman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
  • LocationPeshtigo, WI

Posted 03 April 2020 - 05:05 PM

Allen,

No fault to Lumion. It is more the lack of basic detail in the model from SP. I feel in order to get the realistic look, SP ought to upgrade the way many of the details of their program model. The doors should be dynamic (SketchUp term) in that the sticking should remain the same size and the panels should shrink or enlarge. Trusses, rafters, beams, cabinets, roof overhangs, etc. should all be more "editable" and detailed to allow orientation of textures, details of sticking, etc. to be corrected or correctly oriented out of the box. Not that most of us can't deal with it or get past it, but it is a bit of a disappointment when a customer uses some free or cheap online program that does a better job. So, we know it is possible.

I couldn't agree more, Mark.

Softplan can do some amazing things, and I still feel it is the best residential design program out there.  I just wish the 3D aspect was better implemented.  And for sure the renderer needs to be updated! 

#280 Jon Davis

Jon Davis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 541 posts

Posted 30 April 2020 - 01:34 PM

Well I did it.... just ordered 10.3.....

• Nick Moorhead and Denis Reis like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users