• Please log in to reply
304 replies to this topic

#121 Brian Delwiche

Brian Delwiche

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 28 August 2019 - 10:33 AM

Great to see all the Lumion rendering examples!

I recently purchased 9.5 and I'm amazed at the quality this add on software can provide. Wish Softplan would integrate live sync, it would be a time saver for changes!

4d7414382056d2ac3b5999003439275a-full.jp

• Nick Moorhead and Allen McDonnell like this

#122 Nick Moorhead

Nick Moorhead

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 23 September 2019 - 01:09 PM

Experimenting with reflections here with Lumion. 

Attached Thumbnails

• Deephaven 7.jpg

• Heath Foster, Tom Rogers and Allen McDonnell like this

#123 Allen McDonnell

Allen McDonnell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 955 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 23 September 2019 - 01:47 PM

I use the high definition glass....reflection 5.0.  

• Nick Moorhead likes this

#124 Allen McDonnell

Allen McDonnell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 955 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 23 September 2019 - 01:49 PM

Ive started using Lumion for the live 3-d walk throughs i do (as opposed to SP) ....everyone loves it.  Everyone always comments on the flowers, etc blowing in the wind.

#125 Nick Moorhead

Nick Moorhead

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 24 September 2019 - 06:51 AM

I also find Lumion much better for 3D walkthroughs Allen. It adds much more life and realism to the design!

• Allen McDonnell likes this

#126 Allen McDonnell

Allen McDonnell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 955 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 01 October 2019 - 10:53 AM

https://www.youtube....h?v=Cpr84kJNZGc

Lumion 10 Coming soon.

• Nick Moorhead and Heath Foster like this

#127 Allen McDonnell

Allen McDonnell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 955 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 01 October 2019 - 04:14 PM

Nick, are you upgrading to Lumion 10?  I checked today and price should be around 1150....which means i will have spent 4500$ on Lumion this year...YIKES!!!!!...However, worth every penny.  All my builders love it so much they are sending me the smallest of jobs just so it can be rendered in L.  

#128 Nick Moorhead

Nick Moorhead

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 02 October 2019 - 05:02 AM

Hey Allen,

I will probably upgrade to 10.0 only if it is free for now. I am very impressed with 9.5 and can't wait to see what they put in 10.0! Congrats on your workflow, sounds like it is really making a difference. Considering what you can charge for rendered videos/photos, I would say it would be worth the investment! Are you builders wanting more still images or video walk-throughs? 

Also, I wish Softplan would give us any idea that they are working on a 'live-sync'. I can't imagine it would be that hard to implement considering other drafting platforms are integrating it. Its still such a cumbersome process to continuously load drawings all the time. Come on Softplan! Lets get this done!! Thanks

#129 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,096 posts
  • LocationBrockville, Ontario, Canada

Posted 02 October 2019 - 09:10 AM

Sorry, I have to disagree. I understand that for the people who work with Lumion, that you would love better integration. However, I think that Softplans 3D capabilities are more than adequate for most people's needs, and I would be upset if time, effort and resources, were being spent on Lumion at the expense of a number of other area's that could do with improving ... Staircases and railing systems for one.

Keith

There are 10 types of people in this world ....... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Softplan user since version 5.5.2.5

www.homehardwarekingston.ca

#130 Allen McDonnell

Allen McDonnell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 955 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 02 October 2019 - 09:29 AM

Well, Im glad Softplan did not ask you whether or not they should be able to export Lumion files to begin with.

#131 Allen McDonnell

Allen McDonnell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 955 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 02 October 2019 - 09:59 AM

Few examples....wish i could post them all!!

Attached Thumbnails

• aaa.jpg
  • ee.jpg
  • qq.jpg
  • iiiiiiii.jpg
  • o1.jpg
  • 4.jpg
  • uuuu.jpg

• Nick Moorhead and Heath Foster like this

#132 Nick Moorhead

Nick Moorhead

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 03 October 2019 - 05:24 AM

Sorry, I have to disagree. I understand that for the people who work with Lumion, that you would love better integration. However, I think that Softplans 3D capabilities are more than adequate for most people's needs, and I would be upset if time, effort and resources, were being spent on Lumion at the expense of a number of other area's that could do with improving ... Staircases and railing systems for one.

Keith,

Respectfully, do you think that issues like staircases and railing systems should have been addressed a few versions ago?? I don't think you would upset the community if you invested a little more capability in a 'live sync' especially for those who are requesting it and investing a lot of money in new software and PCs. After all, you DO have Lumion logos printed on your Softplan marketing, so I would expect closer integration between platforms. The .FBX export function was a nice addition, but I feel you should dedicate more effort towards better Lumion support like other drafting software such as Autodesk, Revit, SketchUP, ArchiCAD, Vectorworks...etc.

Softplan's 3D capabilities are adequate for simple, quick renderings but the higher quality renders are nowhere close to what Lumion can offer. As you can see from the forum here, people are having great results with Lumion and their customers are expecting more, and faster high-resolution renderings.

I have been using Softplan and Lumion together for the past 3 years for a national homebuilder a we, like many others are requesting more support. Why not consider this Keith?

#133 Nick Moorhead

Nick Moorhead

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 03 October 2019 - 05:29 AM

Well, Im glad Softplan did not ask you whether or not they should be able to export Lumion files to begin with.

Allen, you actually COULD use Softplan drawings in .dwg format before Softplan introduced the .fbx export feature. I will say though that the .fbx function is better as the materials in .dwg format have scaling problems, and the models import into Lumion at GIANT scale from .dwg.  :lol:

#134 Allen McDonnell

Allen McDonnell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 955 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 03 October 2019 - 03:42 PM

Wish we could upload 4k....

Attached Thumbnails

• o_Photo - 1.jpg
  • o_Photo - 2.jpg

#135 Allen McDonnell

Allen McDonnell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 955 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 03 October 2019 - 03:43 PM

Allen, you actually COULD use Softplan drawings in .dwg format before Softplan introduced the .fbx export feature. I will say though that the .fbx function is better as the materials in .dwg format have scaling problems, and the models import into Lumion at GIANT scale from .dwg.  :lol:

Never knew that!!!  But apparently am not missing out.  

#136 Allen McDonnell

Allen McDonnell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 955 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 03 October 2019 - 04:07 PM

Nick, have you or do you use "open street map".  On remodels i use this to quickly add entourage (buildings) around the house i am working on.  I simply open streetscape, download the smallest radius possible, and then hide the building at the correct location.  Then import the SP model and go from there.  Attached is an example.  The previous house was torn down and we are building this one.

i am mixed on this as i like "real" buildings...but it is nice to not always have to do "tree bombs" as i believe you have called it.  And once you figure it out it is very quick to do (pending a decent internet speed)

https://www.youtube....h?v=Xly0t41Bf_s

Attached Thumbnails

• 1111111.jpg

#137 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,096 posts
  • LocationBrockville, Ontario, Canada

Posted 03 October 2019 - 08:05 PM

Keith,

Respectfully, do you think that issues like staircases and railing systems should have been addressed a few versions ago?? I don't think you would upset the community if you invested a little more capability in a 'live sync' especially for those who are requesting it and investing a lot of money in new software and PCs. After all, you DO have Lumion logos printed on your Softplan marketing, so I would expect closer integration between platforms. The .FBX export function was a nice addition, but I feel you should dedicate more effort towards better Lumion support like other drafting software such as Autodesk, Revit, SketchUP, ArchiCAD, Vectorworks...etc.

Softplan's 3D capabilities are adequate for simple, quick renderings but the higher quality renders are nowhere close to what Lumion can offer. As you can see from the forum here, people are having great results with Lumion and their customers are expecting more, and faster high-resolution renderings.

I have been using Softplan and Lumion together for the past 3 years for a national homebuilder a we, like many others are requesting more support. Why not consider this Keith?

Nick, I have nothing to do with Softplan Systems, I'm just a user the same as you are. I had no idea that the Lumion Logo was on Softplan's marketing literature. This was just my own PERSONAL opinion.

I just think that Lumion's capabilities are over the top for what I and I assume MOST Softplan users needs are.

Keith

There are 10 types of people in this world ....... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Softplan user since version 5.5.2.5

www.homehardwarekingston.ca

#138 Nick Moorhead

Nick Moorhead

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 04 October 2019 - 06:21 AM

Nick, I have nothing to do with Softplan Systems, I'm just a user the same as you are. I had no idea that the Lumion Logo was on Softplan's marketing literature. This was just my own PERSONAL opinion.

I just think that Lumion's capabilities are over the top for what I and I assume MOST Softplan users needs are.

Fair enough Keith, I understand you may not use Lumion so have not experienced the frustration that I and others have using it in conjunction with Softplan. I would agree that Softplan does an adequate job with quick and easy renderings, and that may be enough for some people. I also understand that cost and hardware upgrades might be cost prohibitive for some as well. But both I and others have experienced great results using BOTH programs and expect a little more support on the Softplan end of things. Photo-real rendering engines are getting better and cheaper and lots of customers expectations are evolving, due to them being shown on numerous TV shows and the like. I'm just over here waiting for my 'live-sync' .....  -_-

• David Zawadzki likes this

#139 Nick Moorhead

Nick Moorhead

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 04 October 2019 - 06:30 AM

Nick, have you or do you use "open street map".  On remodels i use this to quickly add entourage (buildings) around the house i am working on.  I simply open streetscape, download the smallest radius possible, and then hide the building at the correct location.  Then import the SP model and go from there.  Attached is an example.  The previous house was torn down and we are building this one.

i am mixed on this as i like "real" buildings...but it is nice to not always have to do "tree bombs" as i believe you have called it.  And once you figure it out it is very quick to do (pending a decent internet speed)

https://www.youtube....h?v=Xly0t41Bf_s

Hey Allen! I have not used the street map functions on any of my models so far, but I am open to it! I have been trying to come up with some NEW quick "landscape templates" that I can cycle through from model to model and wouldn't mind experimenting with this. I sometimes find that the landscape and scene design take more effort than my actual models sometimes...ha. And yes, the "tree bombings" become very taxing to the rendering process. I use them to hide any horizon lines that may appear in filming (they tend to break the illusion of realism). 

If you (or anyone else) comes across any way to import scenes into Lumion that would be ideal. And I think the Google neighborhoods you made are great! I have been wanting to put my next luxury model on a golf course for some time, but haven't had the time to create one. :)

• Roy Brown likes this

#140 Allen McDonnell

Allen McDonnell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 955 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 04 October 2019 - 07:54 AM

Nick, the "landscape template" that i am using consists of "real homes"...So basically....  I have started to "copy projects" and then add a house next to a completely textured (in lumion) house.   the end goal in mind will be to render a home with real homes across the street or behind the house.   then i can add trees, people, car.  I am basically making a "make believe" subdivision.  The issue i will run into will be terrain.  So my "make believe" subdivision will be all flat lots (what a dream)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users