28 replies to this topic

#1 Michael Hand

Michael Hand

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • LocationCalverton, NY

Posted 12 March 2019 - 06:23 AM

Since StruCalc is now Vitrus I am not certain I want to use them. The demo does not have the same feel as strucalc and I am not a fan of forcing a lease on most things, with the exception of softplan plus, for a number of reasons

I am curious what others use that can perform the same as what strucalc was, use of flitch plates , varius spans, loads and point loads

• Jim Johnson likes this

#2 Philip Frank

Philip Frank

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 559 posts
  • LocationMaine, USA

Posted 12 March 2019 - 07:21 AM

https://www.beamchek.com/

I've been using this for over 15 years.

• Tom Rogers likes this

#3 Harlon Suttle

Harlon Suttle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 383 posts
  • LocationOverland Park, Ks

Posted 12 March 2019 - 07:54 AM

I concur....Beamcheck is what I use for prelim analysis.....anything out of the norm is sent to a Structural Engineer....

Harlon G. " Buddy " Suttle
casekc49@gmail.com
CELL: 913-339-6242

#4 Michael Hand

Michael Hand

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • LocationCalverton, NY

Posted 12 March 2019 - 08:20 AM

does beam check use steel, handle point loads and calculate for deflection, shear, moment with typ beams, rafters, ridges, etc and also footings?

#5 David Zawadzki

David Zawadzki

Boss

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 643 posts
  • LocationBoise, Idaho

Posted 12 March 2019 - 08:54 AM

What is the difference between Beamcheck for $149 and Forte Web from Weyerhouser or BC Calc from Boise Cascade for $0?

https://www.weyerhae...forte-software/

https://www.bc.com/m...-calc-software/

Can we get this for SoftPlan?

OPEN FILE EXCHANGE Send members to Forte for analysis from your software

We provide the Forte File Format Utility to software developers looking to enhance their software so it exports floor, wall, and roof members to the Forte application for analysis. This allows your customers to skip remodeling spans, supports, and loads in Forte and instead send these calculations to Forte with all the necessary information pre-populated.

Learn more about this interactive guide for software developers wanting to transfer information into Forte files from their own software applications.

Does anyone export to Javelin for their strucural analysis?  How does that work for you?

Award winning Design+Builder with over 40 years of construction experience. Homes built in Michigan, Utah and Idaho. Construction projects in CA, AZ, NV, ID, UT, NE, MO, NM, FL, GA, NY, and MI.

https://idahocustomhomes.weebly.com/

Twinmotion 2024, Autocad, SoftPlan 2024, Solidbuilder, Chief Architect X15, Sketchup, 3D Home Architect, etc.

CyberPowerPC Syber Forti SFG9EX Gaming Desktop Computer, Intel Core i9-9900K 3.6GHz, 32GB RAM, 3TB HDD + 1TB SSD, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 10GB, Windows 10 Pro

.Disclaimer: I'm not saying I'm Superman. All I am saying is no one has seen Superman and me in the same room together.<p><p>

Softplan user since 1989

#6 Dennis Hilborn

Dennis Hilborn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 816 posts
  • LocationDFW Texas

Posted 12 March 2019 - 09:03 AM

Are you guys licensed for struct?  I'm not and in Texas if I specify anything that is not spelled out in the building code I can be popped by the TDLR for practicing engineering.  I can't even call myself "Architectural" draftsman, designer or anything using any form of the "A" word or stand the chance to be fined $1500 per sheet.

#7 Gary McKeon

Gary McKeon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 553 posts
  • LocationSilverton Oregon

Posted 12 March 2019 - 09:26 AM

The Weyerhauser and BC software is only good for their products. Sometimes that's OK and sometimes not. They also do not take into everything into account. StruCalc is still going to be good to use for a while- quite a while actually but I totally agree Michael- it does not feel or work in the same way. Don't like it either myself.

Dennis, in some areas of the country it is allowed to use these types of programs to size different things such as headers, beams, columns and footings. A lot of these items are considered to be "prescriptive" and so fall within the building codes and an engineer is not required- for gravity loads mostly. Other areas of the country you can't do anything. In my case I primarily do the calculations to know that a certain size or type of beam will work with what I am trying to achieve. I do a lot of "eccentric" loading so I really do have to know what will work. Once I know what I can do then the plans go to an engineer and he does all the paperwork and calc's and signs them. So basically I do the preliminary and he does the final (and takes the liability). Works good for me!

• Jim Johnson likes this

#8 Steve and Carla Farnam

Steve and Carla Farnam

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 647 posts

Posted 12 March 2019 - 11:43 AM

Dennis, We use Strucalc for our own information when designing a building. We want a close idea on the framing member sizing

so our designs work with floor heights, stair headroom if a supporting member crosses a stairway etc. We will defer to a structural engineer

when needed for plan submittal in a zoned area otherwise we leave all structural aspects up to the builder ,which is noted on our plans.

We do not call out any engineering by us.

• Jim Johnson likes this

#9 Michael Hand

Michael Hand

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • LocationCalverton, NY

Posted 12 March 2019 - 11:59 AM

so far I have seen no actual strucalc comparison. As for farming to an engineer... well, my firm certifies our plans and have to calculate our loads as a result. We don't do span charts and avoid "free" for various reasons. Seems that there are lack of options for this.

Worth a shot though

#10 Gary McKeon

Gary McKeon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 553 posts

Posted 12 March 2019 - 02:32 PM

That was the beauty of StruCalc- it really filled a need. Beamcheck is good as far as it goes. I'm not aware of another legitimate option to StruCalc. Bummer

#11 Steven Wohlgemuth

Steven Wohlgemuth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts
  • LocationNew Brunswick Canada

Posted 12 March 2019 - 05:15 PM

I have looked for Strucalc But Its gone! Just the new subscription version available!

#12 Gary McKeon

Gary McKeon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 553 posts

Posted 12 March 2019 - 07:20 PM

I have looked for Strucalc But Its gone! Just the new subscription version available!

No. It's not gone. Just changed. A different company bought them out and is changing it to their liking. The "older" versions are no longer available that I know of.  http://www.strucalc.com/

I think you might be stuck adapting to their new interface Michael Hand. Might not be as bad as feared but I also hear you regarding the subscription based model. Not liking that either.

#13 Joseph Smith

Joseph Smith

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 824 posts
  • LocationWI

Posted 14 March 2019 - 09:29 AM

I still have it and kept a final copy of normal StruCalc which i believe is 10.0.1.6.  Its unlocked so i can continue use my license indefinitely and reinstall as needed...I Wont be upgrading to that Vitrus crap they have now....way overpriced.  Its just an amazing piece of software, and versatile...can create custom beams if i know the design values.  It was perfect graphically and structurally, very unfortunate they sold out.

• Jim Johnson and Steve and Carla Farnam like this

Joseph A. Smith

http://granitedesigngroup.com

#14 Steve and Carla Farnam

Steve and Carla Farnam

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 647 posts

Posted 14 March 2019 - 10:47 AM

Like Joseph we have used Strucalc for quite some time and have V10.0.1.6 installed and will be able to continue.

Just reaffirm this with Strucalc Tech Support per email shown.

Attached Thumbnails

• Strucalc Use.jpg

• Jim Johnson likes this

#15 Joseph Smith

Joseph Smith

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 824 posts
  • LocationWI

Posted 14 March 2019 - 01:29 PM

Like Joseph we have used Strucalc for quite some time and have V10.0.1.6 installed and will be able to continue.

Just reaffirm this with Strucalc Tech Support per email shown.

Keep your install file.  I have a feeling we'll be using it for a long time.

• Steve and Carla Farnam likes this

Joseph A. Smith

#16 Steve and Carla Farnam

Steve and Carla Farnam

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 647 posts

Posted 14 March 2019 - 04:15 PM

Will do Joseph, we have all the Strucalc installations back to V8 in a holding pattern!

#17 Gary McKeon

Gary McKeon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 553 posts

Posted 14 March 2019 - 10:20 PM

Will do Joseph, we have all the Strucalc installations back to V8 in a holding pattern!

I still have version 6 if you need it.  B)

#18 Brian Berzinskis

Brian Berzinskis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 22 March 2019 - 01:25 PM

We used to use BeamChek exclusively. We have since switched over to Forte for sizing of all TrusJoist products. I have been in communication on multiple occasions with both SoftPlan and TrusJoist about the Javelin Exchange File export that is currently in SoftPlan 2018. I could never seem to get it to work with exporting the beam design information from SoftPlan regarding spans into Forte. Because populating the list with the information is the most time consuming part of the job for us. I have never come to any resolve getting the file over from SoftPlan to either Forte which is their free software or Javelin which is their paid software. So for the time being I had given up. Also I have been in touch with TrusJoist and they are considering adding at least flitch beams into their software as they are typically made with microllams around the steel. But that is still yet to come. I would love to discuss what people are using and if there are any structural design solutions that take into consideration the 3d modeling that we are creating in SoftPlan for tracing loads from the roof down to the footings. Because right now with Forte I am doing all the inputting and linking of loads manually. It would be nice to see something that could use the modeled information and bring it to the structural design side.

As a side note we size all of the structure in our residential projects and would rarely need a structural engineer involved unless it is a commercial project. So in New Jersey as an architect we are allowed to do all of that.

• David Zawadzki likes this

#19 Kevin Rabenaldt

Kevin Rabenaldt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 391 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio

Posted 22 March 2019 - 01:50 PM

So much depends on the city (same state).  One city requires a structural engineer on everything even when the code book covers the application.  Another city requires us to spec all beams and provide a complete framing plan including where the joist require hangers or nailed connections, but do not require a structural engineer.  If they think a beam or joist is over spanned, they reject the plan and just say it does not meet span requirements but they won't tell you what size to spec.

#20 Joseph Smith

Joseph Smith

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 824 posts
  • LocationWI

Posted 23 March 2019 - 12:40 PM

Forte is great........however is specific to TrusJoist product line and limited lumber species.  Don't believe it'll do:  treated lumbers, steel beam designs, rafters, column design, footings, hip/valley beams, lateral wall design and best of all....custom beams with editable design values (create your own beams/joists to match, GP, Weyerhaeuser, Rosburg and others if necessary.

StruCalc was the 'cats ass' in a beam design platform for the residential design industry......really sucks they sold out to Vitruvius for an overpriced monthly fee.

Joseph A. Smith

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users