17 replies to this topic

#1 Mike Adams

Mike Adams

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 21 March 2019 - 02:29 PM

I recently bought a new 32'' _ _ monitor as my old one, not and _ _, was showing signs of age.  Nothing but trouble, with 3D,  the regenerate speed and jerky motion of the project as it spins around, screen resolution and a host of other things.  I was on the phone w/ an _ _ tech when it first started and he could not find anything wrong with the monitor...duh.  Anyone experienced something similar when buying a new monitor and operating 2018 w/ Windows 7 professional and did you resolve it? 

Its driving me nuts.

Thanks,Mike

#2 Dennis Hilborn

Dennis Hilborn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 816 posts
  • LocationDFW Texas

Posted 21 March 2019 - 02:35 PM

it's probably not the monitor.  It's probably your vid. card can't keep up with the demands placed on it now.  What kind of cpu and vid card do you have?

• Joseph Smith and Brent Hyndman like this

#3 Jason Bishop

Jason Bishop

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 294 posts

Posted 21 March 2019 - 03:48 PM

Same issue. Not resolved....especially with a 4K 28" monitor or larger. Super laggy. I'm fairly tech savy and I've tried everything (even SP tech support)...currently using (2) 28" regular HD monitors to view email and PDF's due to the lag.....I traded the 4K in for (2) HD monitors as 4K was unusable at all due to the lag.

I have been told SP Version 2020 may have resolved some of the issues with the 4K Monitor. Small font, etc......I am still waiting on the full release of 2020 before I download.....

Following this thread if someone post that has a fix.

Specs:

Dell XPS15

Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M with the latest driver from 3/5/19.

Processor: Intel i7-6700HQ CPU @ 2.6GHz

RAM: 32.0 GB

#4 Dennis Hilborn

Dennis Hilborn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 816 posts
  • LocationDFW Texas

Posted 21 March 2019 - 04:24 PM

Same issue. Not resolved....especially with a 4K 28" monitor or larger. Super laggy. I'm fairly tech savy and I've tried everything (even SP tech support)...currently using (2) 28" regular HD monitors to view email and PDF's due to the lag.....I traded the 4K in for (2) HD monitors as 4K was unusable at all due to the lag.

I have been told SP Version 2020 may have resolved some of the issues with the 4K Monitor. Small font, etc......I am still waiting on the full release of 2020 before I download.....

Following this thread if someone post that has a fix.

Specs:

Dell XPS15

Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M with the latest driver from 3/5/19.

Processor: Intel i7-6700HQ CPU @ 2.6GHz

RAM: 32.0 GB

Compared your card against some cards that I have experience with and it is definitely the card is just not up to that high res.  Look up the specs and you can see for your self.

#5 Jason Bishop

Jason Bishop

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 294 posts

Posted 21 March 2019 - 04:53 PM

Hmm... that’s odd Dennis. The laptop is less than 2 years old and purchased with the highest specs Dell had at time to a tune of over $3K. Not that price matters....the spec Inlcuded a 4K screen and runs fine with the card. It’s the additional monitors that are the issue receiving the signal

What card do you recommend?

#6 David Zawadzki

David Zawadzki

Boss

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 643 posts
  • LocationBoise, Idaho

Posted 21 March 2019 - 07:26 PM

I have a 28" 4K monitor, along with two 27" 2K monitors running off a Nividia GTX 970.  Everything works fine here.  It's been a while since I hooked up the 4K but I seem to recall I had to do some tweeking when I first got it to make it play nice with the other two monitors.

Award winning Design+Builder with over 40 years of construction experience. Homes built in Michigan, Utah and Idaho. Construction projects in CA, AZ, NV, ID, UT, NE, MO, NM, FL, GA, NY, and MI.

https://idahocustomhomes.weebly.com/

Twinmotion 2024, Autocad, SoftPlan 2024, Solidbuilder, Chief Architect X15, Sketchup, 3D Home Architect, etc.

CyberPowerPC Syber Forti SFG9EX Gaming Desktop Computer, Intel Core i9-9900K 3.6GHz, 32GB RAM, 3TB HDD + 1TB SSD, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 10GB, Windows 10 Pro

.Disclaimer: I'm not saying I'm Superman. All I am saying is no one has seen Superman and me in the same room together.<p><p>

Softplan user since 1989

#7 Dennis Hilborn

Dennis Hilborn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 816 posts
  • LocationDFW Texas

Posted 21 March 2019 - 08:13 PM

Hmm... that’s odd Dennis. The laptop is less than 2 years old and purchased with the highest specs Dell had at time to a tune of over $3K. Not that price matters....the spec Inlcuded a 4K screen and runs fine with the card. It’s the additional monitors that are the issue receiving the signal

What card do you recommend?

Your card was listed in the benchmark as a laptop card.  Is that right?  Are they even changeable?

Here's one of the links to a benchmark comparison  to the card I'm using in my desktop running 3 monitors.  Not 4k but  all high res. and two of the wide screen.  And it works pretty good even with all three screens filled with SP windows.

https://www.game-deb...=3541&gid2=3048

There may be a way to tweek your system to display on the 4k though.

#8 Mike Adams

Mike Adams

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 22 March 2019 - 04:01 AM

it's probably not the monitor.  It's probably your vid. card can't keep up with the demands placed on it now.  What kind of cpu and vid card do you have?

I sent HP the specs for SP 2018 before I upgraded and had this built:

Windows 7 Professional 64

HP Elite Desktop 705 G2 Microtower

Intel Core i7-6700 3.43G 8M 2133 4C CPU

NVIDIA GeForce GT 703 2GB PCle x8 Graphics

8GB DDR4-2133 DIMM (1x8GB) Ram

The new monitor is HP Pavilion.  I have 3 year warranty on the desktop and 30 days to return this monitor.

Jason mentioned driver...wonder if that could be the problem?

I am no where near as computer savvy as some of out there and appreciate the comments. 

Thanks,

Mike

#9 Dennis Hilborn

Dennis Hilborn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 816 posts
  • LocationDFW Texas

Posted 22 March 2019 - 07:58 AM

A monitor just shows what you send it.  Our 3d models and cad is nowhere as demanding as a fast action video game or movie.  I don't think there is any way a monitor would be the problem with lagging etc. unless it was truly defective.

Also, I've never run serious cad, Autocad or SoftPlan on a laptop so my experience is somewhat limited there.  But I know that most of the game forums suggest only the "latest and greatest" laptops to play intensive games and I equate that to Cad work.

I only run desktops and have never found onboard video to be fast enough except for light duty.

I've found that I can run a somewhat substandard computer with a very fast video card and get great performance but reverse the two and it's not a good match.

I hope you can find an easy match.

One last thing to think about is to check that you have the latest vid. driver and it is installed correctly.

#10 Dennis Hilborn

Dennis Hilborn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 816 posts
  • LocationDFW Texas

Posted 22 March 2019 - 08:01 AM

I sent HP the specs for SP 2018 before I upgraded and had this built:

Windows 7 Professional 64

HP Elite Desktop 705 G2 Microtower

Intel Core i7-6700 3.43G 8M 2133 4C CPU

NVIDIA GeForce GT 703 2GB PCle x8 Graphics

8GB DDR4-2133 DIMM (1x8GB) Ram

The new monitor is HP Pavilion.  I have 3 year warranty on the desktop and 30 days to return this monitor.

Jason mentioned driver...wonder if that could be the problem?

I am no where near as computer savvy as some of out there and appreciate the comments. 

Thanks,

Mike

Mike, here's a link to bechmark your card against the card I use.  Mine will run 3 monitors and keep up with rotating the three d model but I don't think it's overly fast.

https://gpu.userbenc...30/3650vsm12582

#11 Mike Adams

Mike Adams

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 22 March 2019 - 08:55 AM

A monitor just shows what you send it.  Our 3d models and cad is nowhere as demanding as a fast action video game or movie.  I don't think there is any way a monitor would be the problem with lagging etc. unless it was truly defective.

Also, I've never run serious cad, Autocad or SoftPlan on a laptop so my experience is somewhat limited there.  But I know that most of the game forums suggest only the "latest and greatest" laptops to play intensive games and I equate that to Cad work.

I only run desktops and have never found onboard video to be fast enough except for light duty.

I've found that I can run a somewhat substandard computer with a very fast video card and get great performance but reverse the two and it's not a good match.

I hope you can find an easy match.

One last thing to think about is to check that you have the latest vid. driver and it is installed correctly.

I did check and Windows 7 device manager says the drivers are up to date.

I use 3D more in house to make sure things jive and loads are placed right.  Good thing I am not using it for a sales tool ..yet.  

Mine will rotate...and worked perfectly with my old monitor,  the new one it is slow and jerks around instead of a smooth action.

Thanks again!

#12 Dennis Hilborn

Dennis Hilborn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 816 posts
  • LocationDFW Texas

Posted 22 March 2019 - 10:54 AM

I did check and Windows 7 device manager says the drivers are up to date.

I use 3D more in house to make sure things jive and loads are placed right.  Good thing I am not using it for a sales tool ..yet.  

Mine will rotate...and worked perfectly with my old monitor,  the new one it is slow and jerks around instead of a smooth action.

Thanks again!

You might try lowering the resolution.  Compare the resolution of the old one to the new one.  Higher res. and or bigger screen takes more computing power.  There's more pixels to figure out.

#13 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,092 posts
  • LocationBrockville, Ontario, Canada

Posted 22 March 2019 - 11:14 AM

The GT730 (which I assume you're using) is NOT a high end graphics card. It's not bad, but It's not what I would choose for Softplan.

Keith

There are 10 types of people in this world ....... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Softplan user since version 5.5.2.5

www.homehardwarekingston.ca

#14 Mike Adams

Mike Adams

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 22 March 2019 - 12:37 PM

The GT730 (which I assume you're using) is NOT a high end graphics card. It's not bad, but It's not what I would choose for Softplan.

The device manager indicates there are drivers one the GT730 and a Intel ®HD Graphics 530

I just can't figure why the new monitor brought this to light.  My old LG monitor didn't affect SP, but this new HP Pavilion does?

Thanks,

Mike

#15 Mike Adams

Mike Adams

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 22 March 2019 - 02:23 PM

I just re-installed my old LG monitor and 3D and resolution work fine. HP Pavilion is going back.

Regards,Mike

#16 Mike Adams

Mike Adams

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 23 March 2019 - 05:30 AM

For those who have looked and read these comments, in the end switching the old monitor back which has a VGA connection did the trick.
The new monitor had HDMI and display port only?

#17 Dennis Hilborn

Dennis Hilborn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 816 posts
  • LocationDFW Texas

Posted 23 March 2019 - 05:52 AM

Most of my monitors have only a VGA connection.  There are adapters to adapt vga to hdmi an display port so that is not a reason to not upgrade.  But you may have to upgrade your video card also.

#18 Michael Collazo

Michael Collazo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 28 April 2019 - 12:09 PM

I am using an MSI Laptop and pushing 2 32" monitors with it without any hesitation. My video card is mid grade at best. GTX 1050 tI 4g. it is not that much better than the 960m, especially if it is a 4g video ram. So I am surprised by this.

https://www.game-deb...ce GTX 960M 4GB

https://www.samsung....cB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Michael A Collazo

Planmark Design Studio, LLC

Tampa, Florida

http://planmarkstudio.com

info@planmarkstudio.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users