13 replies to this topic

#1 Matt Walker

Matt Walker

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 29 April 2019 - 02:47 PM

What is the most efficient way to equally space porch posts of other objects ? If I have the end posts positioned is there a quick way to equally space others in between those?

myproject@cranberrydesignco.com

#2 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,092 posts
  • LocationBrockville, Ontario, Canada

Posted 29 April 2019 - 03:14 PM

Copy ... Select end and choose divide into equal sections (or something like that)!

Copies can be equally spaced between the original item and the location where the cursor is clicked to place the copy. To do this, enter the number of desired copies in the Count field and then select Equally Space Between.

Keith

There are 10 types of people in this world ....... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Softplan user since version 5.5.2.5

www.homehardwarekingston.ca

#3 Kevin Rabenaldt

Kevin Rabenaldt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 391 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio

Posted 29 April 2019 - 05:55 PM

OK, I have a suggest to help you.  You will need to create a symbol that you can adjust to help with the layout.  What I did is create a long box (actually two) say one 24 feet long.  Make the box about 1 foot tall but you can adjust this also.  Within the box divide it into four equal divisions with lines top to bottom.  You can increase the number depending on what you may want but I normally put 4 columns on a wide porch..  Now create a symbol out of this.  This symbol can be adjusted and the spacing stays the same, that is equal between the lines and end of the box.  Sometimes I have a situation where I have a door and window that can not move along the wall too much.  I can use the symbol to help space out the window and doors with their center extensions so I can get a even layout of the columns and have my windows/doors centered between the columns.  This may sound confusing the way I explained it, but it works rather slick and it saves a lot of time figuring out how to space these items out.

I have created other layout boxes.  One is for laying out light fixtures in a garage evenly since my garage widths vary greatly.  You can also create ones on even spacing like 16 inches, 24 inches, 48 inches to help layout flooring, joists and rafters.  This latter ones you would not want to adjust because you want the spacing to stay the same for layout.

#4 Paul James

Paul James

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts

Posted 29 April 2019 - 06:42 PM

The divide segments tool is another way.

With copy space equally space between you end up with an extra post at the end, and when you go to delete it- it almost always deletes the original post- which is a pain if you've already have extensions and dimensions.

Softplan really needs a 'center objects between edges' tool.

#5 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,092 posts
  • LocationBrockville, Ontario, Canada

Posted 29 April 2019 - 07:22 PM

... Softplan really needs a 'center objects between edges' tool.

Which it already has ...

Center Between Edges

This command allows you to center an object between the reference edges of two items.

To Center an Object Between Two Edges

1.   Select Move ® Center Between Edges.

2.   Click on the edge of the item that will be used as the first reference to center the object.

3.   Place your cursor on the reference edge of the second item and click.

4.   Finally, click the object that is to be centered between the edges.

Note:

·    When selecting the items to move and align with the reference edge, you can select the top, bottom, right or left edge of the item to indicate which edge is to be brought into alignment.

·    At any time while you are aligning a series of items, you can reselect the reference edge to align other items to by right-clicking to cancel the current selection. You can then reselect the new reference edge for aligning other items to.

Although I take your point on the spacing ... Typically I want to copy equally between TWO OBJECTS ... not one object and an arbitrary point. I nearly always have 2 existing objects and have to erase one. However, I haven't noticed erase working the way you describe.

I do tend to use the divide tool rather than the copy tool though. There's just something about the copy tool that doesn't flow properly, but I can't put my finger on it.

Keith

There are 10 types of people in this world ....... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Softplan user since version 5.5.2.5

www.homehardwarekingston.ca

#6 Paul James

Paul James

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts

Posted 29 April 2019 - 07:54 PM

I meant center 'multiple' objects at once- you would select the 2 outside edges you want to center between, then block select the objects in between that you want to equally center- 

#7 Brent Hyndman

Brent Hyndman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,549 posts

Posted 30 April 2019 - 09:07 AM

SoftPlan version 2020 has a 'Space Between' field when adding Intermediate posts to a railing.

Add the railing where you want it, edit the railing, set you end posts as desired and select the 'Mid Posts' tab, add the number of intermediate posts that you want. The 'Space Between' field will update accordingly to report the actual length of rail between the posts.

Attached File  Space Between 2.JPG   87.71KB   1 downloads

• John Jones likes this

#8 Jon Davis

Jon Davis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 541 posts

Posted 30 April 2019 - 11:46 AM

According to an architect we work with, "intercolumniation" is a big problem in construction today. I think he made up the word... but anyhow...

The space between posts should never be more than the height of the post. Always equal to or less than... so I always end up having to

work out the spacing myself anyway.

#9 Gary McKeon

Gary McKeon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 553 posts
  • LocationSilverton Oregon

Posted 30 April 2019 - 03:10 PM

According to an architect we work with, "intercolumniation" is a big problem in construction today. I think he made up the word... but anyhow...

The space between posts should never be more than the height of the post. Always equal to or less than... so I always end up having to

work out the spacing myself anyway.

Yes, that is a made up word for certain. Also made up is the distance between should never be more than the height. Absolute nonsense.

• Warren Ducote, Keith Almond and Tom Rogers like this

#10 Jon Davis

Jon Davis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 541 posts

Posted 02 May 2019 - 08:54 AM

Well, we can agree to disagree there. If you follow this rule, you'd be surprised how much better houses look. 

#11 Tom Rogers

Tom Rogers

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,159 posts
  • LocationVilla Rica, Georgia

Posted 03 May 2019 - 02:14 PM

I understand the concept Jon.  The "rule" theoretically  makes sense and for the most part, everyone follows.  I have never seen two 10' columns spaced 20' apart.  It goes the same that I have heard that a room should never be taller than the width or height.  While I may not 100% agree I also wouldn't want an elevator shaft for a dining room.  Perhaps it is better explained by using century old method of the Golden Ratio

"remember... what we are building today, should be what we want in the future"​
Version 10 to Version 2024+ and beyond
www.residentialproductions.com

#12 Kevin Rabenaldt

Kevin Rabenaldt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 391 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio

Posted 03 May 2019 - 02:33 PM

Interesting discussion.  I have a book titled, "Get Your House Right" by Marianee Cusato and Ben Pentreath.  This book is packed with design tips.  On page 64 it discusses "intercolumniation" (actual term they use) and states that generally it looks better if the height is greater than the width.  However it also states this is not a fast rule.  It is vertical design versus horizontal design and that vertical comes from classical architecture but that horizontal design can feel more "rooted" and relaxed.

So, I guess do what looks good to you.

I recommend the aforementioned book.  Lots of good stuff.

• Tom Rogers likes this

#13 Gary McKeon

Gary McKeon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 553 posts
  • LocationSilverton Oregon

Posted 03 May 2019 - 04:23 PM

And I learned a new word today. Awesome! My mistake Jon!

#14 Jon Davis

Jon Davis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 541 posts

Posted 06 May 2019 - 07:09 AM

lol... I've been working some with Steve Mouzon... And it's a topic he covers in his book as well. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users