#1 Martin Livingston

Martin Livingston

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 693 posts
  • LocationHalifax, Nova Scotia

Posted 26 May 2015 - 04:18 PM

I have been trying to fumble my way through creating a entrance door system. We are a production builder and 90% of our homes have the same door lite kit - the Naples from Masonite. I managed to represent it fairly well for a double door because I could use the standard plain panel door and apply a jpg texture to it. Its a bit of a pain to produce and seems to me that I should be able to produce one as a symbol complete with lite kit. Right now I am trying to create a door and side lite combination and the texture application doesn't work because of the 3D frame between the door and side light. Maybe there is a way to apply a texture to the door and sidelight panel separately but I cannot find it. The manual does not cover the subject and I cannot find a tutorial for it either. I have copied and edited the 3D symbol doe the Dutch Colonial door to accommodate a 48" high light kit and I have JPG's and PNG's of the product but can't figure out how to put them together. I have had no trouble creating custom symbols but the custom openings have me stymied.

I am including a few attachments to show what I want to create including a shot of the successful double door.

Attached Thumbnails

• 34X80 NAPLES 48 IN.png
  • Masonite%20Naples.jpg
  • naples and sidelite.png
  • naples double door shot.jpg

Five out of four people are not very good with fractions

www.cresco.ca

#2 Martin Livingston

Martin Livingston

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 693 posts

Posted 26 May 2015 - 04:23 PM

I somehow wound up with a double post. It must have happened we I edited a spelling error.

www.cresco.ca

#3 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,096 posts
  • LocationBrockville, Ontario, Canada

Posted 26 May 2015 - 06:47 PM

Personally I'd create a custom door and sidelight rather than a pasted on JPG, that may be a lot of work, I think it's worth it, but that's me. Gives you much more control of door colours etc.

Slightly related .... If you join Masonite's MCONNECT PARTNER SITE, you may have to request a password etc. They have HI-RES JPG's (and some Adobe Illustrator line art files) of ALL their doors.

Keith

There are 10 types of people in this world ....... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Softplan user since version 5.5.2.5

www.homehardwarekingston.ca

#4 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,096 posts

Posted 27 May 2015 - 08:41 AM

Martin, or anyone else for that matter, here's some *.dxf line art for the NAPLES doors if it's any good to you.

2015.05.27_10h43m44s_001.png

On the MConnect Site, there are 153 variants/configurations for Naples doors and sidelights

Attached Files

Keith

There are 10 types of people in this world ....... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

#5 Yvon Gonthier

Yvon Gonthier

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,288 posts
  • LocationOttawa

Posted 27 May 2015 - 08:53 AM

Martin, or anyone else for that matter, here's some *.dxf line art for the NAPLES doors if it's any good to you.

attachicon.gif2015.05.27_10h43m44s_001.png

On the MConnect Site, there are 153 variants/configurations for Naples doors and sidelights

I guess that using images like that means that the glass area won't really be glass or is there a way?

#6 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,096 posts

Posted 27 May 2015 - 09:01 AM

If you import the dxf the line art into Softplan, you can create full custom doors. With real glass ... You will have to remove the bevels from the glass, or they will show as glazing bars. Apart from that they should work fine. I'm trying to find a way to configure multiple glass styles but that's not a top priority at the moment.

• Yvon Gonthier likes this
Keith

#7 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,096 posts

Posted 27 May 2015 - 10:50 AM

Took a little more cleaning up than I hoped it would ... The line art is made up of hundreds of polygons, which aren't accurate. I had to delete all the polygons and replace them with lines - Certainly useable though ...

Attached Thumbnails

• 2015.05.27_12h47m40s_001.png

Keith

#8 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,096 posts

Posted 28 May 2015 - 02:36 PM

How do these look .... ?

2015.05.28_16h18m16s_001.png

ANYONE WHO WANTS THEM .....

I have added the SPY files for Openings and Elevation Openings into the enclosed ZIP file. 050 is half light, 075 is three quarter light and 100 is a full light. Obviously the SL suffix is for a sidelight.

Put the relevant files into a MASONITE folder in each of ELEVATION OPENINGS and OPENINGS, and they should work fine on plan, elevation and 3D. You should also be able to put them together and make unit openings out of them.

If you have any issues, let me know. I'll see what I can do to help.

2015.05.28_16h54m26s_002.png

Grille thickness can be adjusted in FILE > DRAWING OPTIONS > DRAWING OPTIONS > MATERIAL DIMENSIONS > OPENING OPTIONS > GRILLE THICKNESS - Note: Changing grille thickness is a global variable - it will affect all the grilles in the drawing.

All the finishes can be adjusted as you see fit as standard (as you can see changing the grilles to Chrome and making them a little finer looks pretty good) - I typically use a dark glass with high opacity, but that can be adjusted to suit too.

I just wish I could find a way to do bevelled glass, but I don't think it's going to be possible.

Attached Files

Keith

#9 Martin Livingston

Martin Livingston

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 693 posts

Posted 28 May 2015 - 04:20 PM

This is all great! I really appreciate all the effort put into this stuff.

I was trying to figure out how to create the necessary SPY files myself and could not figure it out. Window were easy but the leaded lite doors were (and still are) a complete mystery. I will try these files and post the results in a little while.

www.cresco.ca

#10 Martin Livingston

Martin Livingston

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 693 posts

Posted 28 May 2015 - 04:48 PM

Here is a sample of the results! None too shabby at all :)

I played around with the glazing adding a grey tint and removing most of the transparency plus increasing the diffusion a bit. I gave the "lead" work a charcoal color and copy/pasted the panel finish from the garage doors.

Thanks again.

Attached Thumbnails

• New and improved door.jpg

www.cresco.ca

#11 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,096 posts

Posted 28 May 2015 - 06:34 PM

You are very welcome! Glad that it worked for you!

Personally, I think it gives a much better finish than the pasted on JPG's.

It actually makes it all worthwhile when someone gets something out of it. It's very frustrating to post something and then have it ignored.

Have you noticed that only a few of the people who read any of the threads bother to respond?

Wonder why that is?

Keith

#12 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,096 posts

Posted 28 May 2015 - 07:55 PM

..... and could not figure it out. Window were easy but the leaded lite doors were (and still are) a complete mystery ....

If you take one of the elevation openings and explode it, you'll be able to solve that "complete mystery" without too much effort. If you can create custom windows, then you can create custom doors just as easily.

• admin likes this
Keith

#13 Martin Livingston

Martin Livingston

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 693 posts

Posted 29 May 2015 - 10:07 AM

I will try "exploding" one this weekend. I hadn't considered that option before. Thanks!

www.cresco.ca

#14 Martin Livingston

Martin Livingston

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 693 posts

Posted 29 May 2015 - 10:20 AM

Have you noticed that only a few of the people who read any of the threads bother to respond?

Wonder why that is?

I guess a lot of people just don't like to participate or are concerned others aren't interested in their opinions. I, on the other hand, am cocky enough to offer my opinion even if no one else is interested.

I used to be very involved with a general home construction/contractor forum (Construction Resource) until the owner gave up the domain and it turned into a free-for-all for the spammers. Before that happened I was up around 1500 posts and was a super moderator. It was actually a lot of fun and I learned just as much information as I dished out.  

www.cresco.ca

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users