6 replies to this topic

#1 Dave Pazyniak

Dave Pazyniak

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 402 posts

Posted 16 May 2019 - 12:42 PM

I am drawing a garage with a bonus room above.  I tried to add ceiling joists and then have my roof bear on them, but it always bears on the garage wall.  What is the way to get my section to look correct?  Is it just to add a heel, or am I doing something wrong?

Dave

#2 Steve Haarmann

Steve Haarmann

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 643 posts

Posted 16 May 2019 - 12:54 PM

You can adjust the heel height or you can add another floor for the bonus room.

Make the walls using a bearing plate and then put the floor system under.

That way the roof will be referencing a wall on the bonus room level rather than the first floor.

• John Jones likes this

#3 Brent Hyndman

Brent Hyndman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,549 posts

Posted 17 May 2019 - 08:35 AM

As Steve said, Add another floor since it is living space.

Although you might think of them as Ceiling Joists, the fact that they are supporting a bonus room makes them Floor Joists. If you add Floor Joists, Subfloor and a Plate Wall wherever needed that will give you e the results that you are looking for.

#4 Dave Pazyniak

Dave Pazyniak

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 402 posts

Posted 18 May 2019 - 05:20 AM

Thanks, Guys.  Brent, I was able to add a floor system by creating an upper floor drawing and tracing the overlayed main floor (without adding any walls on the upper floor).  When I add a roof, it sill attached to the first floor wall.  I can add a heel, but when I fit the top of wall to roof, it pushes up the roof.  If I go around the building, each fit to roof pushes it up higher.  Do I have to have a small upper floor wall for the roof to bear on? Is there a way to draw an attic truss?

Thanks again,

Dave

#5 Steve Haarmann

Steve Haarmann

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 643 posts

Posted 21 May 2019 - 06:15 PM

Yes, you need a small upper floor wall for the roof to bear on!

If you framed a garage and then put a floor system on it for the second floor you would add a plate (bearing) for the rafters to bear on.

Draw it that way and you will find the roof will work!

If it is a knee wall just draw a 2x4 siding wall whatever height the knee wall is to be.

If you don't have a bearing plate wall defined then use a 2x4 with siding wall and just make it 1 1/2" high.

If you use Softlist this will add extra material for top and bottom plates, so be careful.

#6 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,092 posts
  • LocationBrockville, Ontario, Canada

Posted 21 May 2019 - 07:29 PM

Again, you have to draw what you would expect to build ... You wouldn't build the roof off ceiling joists.

A bonus room would be EITHER built off a floor system, OR build with attic trusses.

If it's a floor, then you would have a single plate on it to fasten the roof joists to.

If it's an attic truss, then adjust the member thicknesses and heel heights in the roof parameters to suit.

Draw what you would build.

If you have issues with the roof attaching to the wrong walls, then temporarily adjust the plates (walls) so they are longer than the first floor walls and adjust the lollipops to suit, the adjust the walls back.

Keith

There are 10 types of people in this world ....... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Softplan user since version 5.5.2.5

www.homehardwarekingston.ca

#7 Brent Hyndman

Brent Hyndman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,549 posts

Posted 22 May 2019 - 08:20 AM

HI Dave.

If you want to use attic trusses, add a truss set to the roof, edit it to be attic trusses and you will be able to assign a width and height for the attic space. You can also modify the bottom chord as needed. Then, under Model, you can use the 'Create Attic Space' option to add a subfloor, walls and Room finishes to the space while also saving it out to a new drawing.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users