#1 Dennis Hilborn

Dennis Hilborn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 816 posts
  • LocationDFW Texas

Posted 19 May 2019 - 10:58 AM

What is the best way to add notes to a custom drawing mode?  I have the "existing floorplan mode" and want to add notes to it but they show up in other modes when I use the existing floorplan.  Having an old brain moment.

#2 Martin Livingston

Martin Livingston

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 691 posts
  • LocationHalifax, Nova Scotia

Posted 19 May 2019 - 11:01 AM

Put them on their own layer so you can control with the "visible" options in each drawing ode.

Five out of four people are not very good with fractions

www.cresco.ca

#3 Dennis Hilborn

Dennis Hilborn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 816 posts
  • LocationDFW Texas

Posted 19 May 2019 - 11:28 AM

That's what I've been doing.  But is there an easier way than to write the note on the floor plan then move it to the special layer?

In autocad I could set up hotkeys to put text directly on the layer I needed.

#4 David Zawadzki

David Zawadzki

Boss

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 643 posts
  • LocationBoise, Idaho

Posted 19 May 2019 - 03:17 PM

Would it work if you generated a drawing for that mode?
Award winning Design+Builder with over 40 years of construction experience. Homes built in Michigan, Utah and Idaho. Construction projects in CA, AZ, NV, ID, UT, NE, MO, NM, FL, GA, NY, and MI.

https://idahocustomhomes.weebly.com/

Twinmotion 2024, Autocad, SoftPlan 2024, Solidbuilder, Chief Architect X15, Sketchup, 3D Home Architect, etc.

CyberPowerPC Syber Forti SFG9EX Gaming Desktop Computer, Intel Core i9-9900K 3.6GHz, 32GB RAM, 3TB HDD + 1TB SSD, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 10GB, Windows 10 Pro

.Disclaimer: I'm not saying I'm Superman. All I am saying is no one has seen Superman and me in the same room together.<p><p>

Softplan user since 1989

#5 Gary McKeon

Gary McKeon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 553 posts
  • LocationSilverton Oregon

Posted 19 May 2019 - 05:17 PM

You should be able to have whatever notes you want just in the active drawing mode by unchecking the "visible in all modes" checkbox of the note as you create it. I do this all the time for my custom modes.

• Keith Almond likes this

#6 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,092 posts
  • LocationBrockville, Ontario, Canada

Posted 19 May 2019 - 05:46 PM

That's the way I do it too Gary.

Keith

There are 10 types of people in this world ....... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Softplan user since version 5.5.2.5

www.homehardwarekingston.ca

#7 Dennis Hilborn

Dennis Hilborn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 816 posts
  • LocationDFW Texas

Posted 19 May 2019 - 07:46 PM

You should be able to have whatever notes you want just in the active drawing mode by unchecking the "visible in all modes" checkbox of the note as you create it. I do this all the time for my custom modes.

Okay.  But how do I make a note in the main active drawing mode visable on electrical and no where else, or on the floor system.  how do you pick the mode you want it to show up in?

#8 Gary McKeon

Gary McKeon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 553 posts

Posted 19 May 2019 - 08:12 PM

By writing your text IN that mode. So, for example, I do structural drawings for all of my project so I have created a "structural" mode. Anything that I want only there, such as text, has to be written in that mode. 

#9 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,092 posts
  • LocationBrockville, Ontario, Canada

Posted 19 May 2019 - 08:14 PM

You write it in the mode you want it in ...

If you want it to show on the floor system, you have to add it in the floor system, and if you want it on electrical, you write it in the electrical mode.

The only options for notes are EITHER ... Only visible in the mode that you created it, OR Visible in ALL modes.

Keith

There are 10 types of people in this world ....... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Softplan user since version 5.5.2.5

www.homehardwarekingston.ca

#10 Dennis Hilborn

Dennis Hilborn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 816 posts
  • LocationDFW Texas

Posted 20 May 2019 - 11:54 AM

Here is a good example of why I am asking this question.

I have a custom drawing mode setup as "Pergola Framing".  If I go there to add notes that pertain to the pergola, I get this message.  If I answer yes, SP turn on all details notes not just the one I'm writing.  Where have I made my mistake.

Attached Thumbnails

• Untitled.png

#11 Michael Collazo

Michael Collazo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 20 May 2019 - 01:33 PM

At the worst case, put the notes into a separate drawing, and drag it into the plan set (assuming you are using plan sets) separately. I am currently doing that for my notes and wall type legends. 

Michael A Collazo

Planmark Design Studio, LLC

Tampa, Florida

http://planmarkstudio.com

info@planmarkstudio.com

#12 Dennis Hilborn

Dennis Hilborn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 816 posts
  • LocationDFW Texas

Posted 20 May 2019 - 01:44 PM

At the worst case, put the notes into a separate drawing, and drag it into the plan set (assuming you are using plan sets) separately. I am currently doing that for my notes and wall type legends. 

I'm not talking about general notes, I'm talking about all the little text notes that you put in a drawing labeling items etc.  To me your system for that it unuseable.

#13 Gary McKeon

Gary McKeon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 553 posts

Posted 20 May 2019 - 04:47 PM

Yep. Sorry about that Dennis. You do have to create an "engineering" layer (using my previous example) and put your items on that layer or layers.

#14 Brian Berzinskis

Brian Berzinskis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 22 May 2019 - 01:32 PM

Here is a good example of why I am asking this question.

I have a custom drawing mode setup as "Pergola Framing".  If I go there to add notes that pertain to the pergola, I get this message.  If I answer yes, SP turn on all details notes not just the one I'm writing.  Where have I made my mistake.

I believe that you first have to go up to the Visible Items while in your Custom Mode and then turn on Detail Notes. Then when you add a Detail Note while in that Mode it should only be on in that Mode. I believe. If you do Overview Note then by default it is shown in all modes.

#15 Michael Collazo

Michael Collazo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 22 May 2019 - 03:05 PM

I'm not talking about general notes, I'm talking about all the little text notes that you put in a drawing labeling items etc.  To me your system for that it unuseable.

In that case, I would do the text with visible in all modes checked off.

Michael A Collazo

Planmark Design Studio, LLC

Tampa, Florida

http://planmarkstudio.com

info@planmarkstudio.com

#16 Dennis Hilborn

Dennis Hilborn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 816 posts
  • LocationDFW Texas

Posted 22 May 2019 - 05:20 PM

In that case, I would do the text with visible in all modes checked off.

I do have that turned off.

#17 Paul James

Paul James

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts

Posted 23 May 2019 - 06:43 PM

It appears that every mode has their own default notes and dimensions- EXCEPT- the 'custom' modes- I just tested it again.

This has always driven me nuts- it makes absolutely no sense. Yes, you can put everything on layers- you can do that in other modes, too- but it's very fast and convenient to have them automatically draw on their own 'visibility' per mode by default. 

• Gary McKeon likes this

#18 Dennis Hilborn

Dennis Hilborn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 816 posts
  • LocationDFW Texas

Posted 23 May 2019 - 07:02 PM

It appears that every mode has their own default notes and dimensions- EXCEPT- the 'custom' modes- I just tested it again.

This has always driven me nuts- it makes absolutely no sense. Yes, you can put everything on layers- you can do that in other modes, too- but it's very fast and convenient to have them automatically draw on their own 'visibility' per mode by default. 

Okay, so I'm not a total idiot and just doing it wrong.  Thanks for checking it out.

#19 Dennis Hilborn

Dennis Hilborn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 816 posts
  • LocationDFW Texas

Posted 24 May 2019 - 02:18 PM

I sent in a ticket on this since it appears to me to be a mistake.  Here is a copy of the return.

"Custom modes are indented to act as extensions of Drawing Mode. So a note that is drawn in Drawing Mode would also appear in all Custom Modes. You can define a Layer and add notes to that layer, and then set that layer to only be visible in the Custom mode."

WHY WOULD THEY NOT MAKE CUSTOM MODES WORK LIKE STANDARD MODES?????

• Paul James likes this

#20 Gary McKeon

Gary McKeon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 553 posts

Posted 24 May 2019 - 05:12 PM

Excellent question Dennis. They absolutely should act that way.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users