#1 David Bearss

David Bearss

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts
  • LocationHood River, Oregon

Posted 28 May 2019 - 06:55 PM

I am having the worst time trying to work with transoms. I can place a door with a transom and uncheck product code and edit the width just fine. However I can do absolutely nothing with the height. Why is it greyed out? Also how do you change the transom height? I have place a transom over the window in the screenshot and nothing shows. Am trying to replicate the configuration in the screenshot.

Should I be placing door, sidelights, and transom individually?

Attached Thumbnails

• capture-20190528-172137.png
  • capture-20190528-175352.png

#2 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,099 posts
  • LocationBrockville, Ontario, Canada

Posted 28 May 2019 - 07:51 PM

When a unit has a transom, the height is grayed out, because Softplan doesn't know which portion you want the height changed on. To change the individual units, you need to edit each of the portions of the combined unit in the Drawing Library ... Openings. Select the relevant opening, Click on the part that requires changing and press EDIT INDIVIDUAL COMPONENT ... you can then edit any of the parts of a combined unit independently.

You can place them all independently, but on the whole they function better as a combined units.

If they are units that you think you will use again, then place them independently, then EDIT > UNIT OPENINGS and give them a PRODUCT CODE and they will be added to your SYSTEM LIBRARY as combined units. Since this is the SYSTEM LIBRARY you may want to add a CUSTOM FOLDER (or FOLDERS) to keep them where you can find them again.

It may seem daunting at first editing within the drawing library, but once you get used to it, it's just as quick and easy as editing any other way, and much more powerful. It also gives you more control of grille placement/visibility.

Keith

There are 10 types of people in this world ....... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Softplan user since version 5.5.2.5

www.homehardwarekingston.ca

#3 David Bearss

David Bearss

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts
  • LocationHood River, Oregon

Posted 29 May 2019 - 06:39 PM

Thanks Keith.

Not to dissimilar to editing library parts in ArchiCAD just finding the tools in Softplan. Have to admit once connecting with the menu, editing the object is much easier in Softplan.

#4 Dave Pazyniak

Dave Pazyniak

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 402 posts

Posted 04 June 2019 - 12:36 PM

Keith, I have edited in the drawing library, and I have the grill pattern I want and it shows correctly in the library, but none of the windows in my renderings or elevation views have updated.  I have regenerated and tried different modes to no avail.  What am I missing?

#5 Mark Petri

Mark Petri

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,511 posts
  • LocationEvergreen, CO

Posted 04 June 2019 - 02:18 PM

Sometimes it is better to use the existing transom/opening combo as the starting point for creating the other versions you want. When you open the opening menu just start a new opening with the name you want for the new version, then select the one you wanted to edit and use it for the starting opening combo to work from. Also, if you do that at the System Options level, it will be readily available for another project.

Attached Thumbnails

• SP Opening Menu.jpg

Mark Petri

Petri Building and Design

#6 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,099 posts
  • LocationBrockville, Ontario, Canada

Posted 04 June 2019 - 03:09 PM

Try UNCHECK and RECHECK Product Code ... I have found that grilles are very finicky about what shows and what SHOULD show sometimes.

Keith

There are 10 types of people in this world ....... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Softplan user since version 5.5.2.5

www.homehardwarekingston.ca

#7 Jim Johnson

Jim Johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 289 posts

Posted 04 June 2019 - 03:51 PM

Keith, I have edited in the drawing library, and I have the grill pattern I want and it shows correctly in the library, but none of the windows in my renderings or elevation views have updated.  I have regenerated and tried different modes to no avail.  What am I missing?

If you are on a version prior to 2020, look in the "Extraction Options"  for "Enhanced Openings" or "Actual Openings".  I forget which one you want?

• Mark Petri likes this

#8 Dave Pazyniak

Dave Pazyniak

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 402 posts

Posted 05 June 2019 - 05:25 AM

Got it to work.  Looks like I had 3 issues:

1. change drawing library for each floor of the rendering.  (should have realized that earlier...)

2. even after drawing library edit, grill must be turned on for entire assembly.

3. check and uncheck product code.  This is a pain because it needs to be done for each window individually, and repeat edit does not work.

Once again, thank you all!

#9 Philip Frank

Philip Frank

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 560 posts
  • LocationMaine, USA

Posted 05 June 2019 - 06:44 AM

Repeat edit doesn't work, but the "Duplicate" tool will do waht you want once you change the first one.

#10 Dave Pazyniak

Dave Pazyniak

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 402 posts

Posted 05 June 2019 - 08:42 AM

Thank you!  big time saver I didn't think to try.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users