#1 Allen McDonnell

Allen McDonnell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 957 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 19 June 2019 - 12:25 PM

Has anyone tried doing a Shake siding profile?  

Im really liking the board and batten profile and made an enhanced horizontal siding profile.  

#2 John Honea

John Honea

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 26 June 2019 - 07:59 AM

Unfortunately at this point shake isn't possible.  With profiles, you can only do one direction, straight lines.  Cedar shake would require a true 3D model, which changes the equation. I hope they find a way to make it work as I'm loving working with profiles now and makes the renderings come out much better on Lumion.

• Allen McDonnell and David Zawadzki like this

#3 Mark Beard

Mark Beard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 05 July 2019 - 08:13 AM

Agree.  Just started to run into this too.  Still using textures and depth relief settings for the shakes but looks poor when compared to how crisp the siding comes out.  Especially in the annotated elevations.  

• Allen McDonnell likes this

Mark Beard

LifeStage Home Designs
Office: 919.630.1224

Your future is in our plans

#4 Allen McDonnell

Allen McDonnell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 957 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 05 July 2019 - 01:52 PM

Profiles are great but still need work.  

1  Profiles at the gable end soffit show a gap.

2  Profiles on inside corner of house wall and garage wall (when there is a floor system) show a gap.  The profile does not miter correctly.

Both of these have been reported so hopefully will be fixed in an upcoming patch

3  Outside corners of a board and batten and horizontal siding transition....do not look correct.

4  When using a profile for limestone cap that sits on top of brick of stone once you place a window it breaks the profile.

#5 Tim Stockton

Tim Stockton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 313 posts
  • LocationWichita, KS

Posted 06 July 2019 - 12:06 PM

Unfortunately at this point shake isn't possible.  With profiles, you can only do one direction, straight lines.  Cedar shake would require a true 3D model, which changes the equation. I hope they find a way to make it work as I'm loving working with profiles now and makes the renderings come out much better on Lumion.

John - I discovered doing this a couple of years ago.  You are right - the renderings look fantastic in Lumion when done this way.  In Lumion, you can use a wood grain texture on the siding to give it a great look and then adjust the color, etc. It makes the siding look even more real then on close up shots.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users