Photo

Default Project Folder or Building Options?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Steve and Carla Farnam

Steve and Carla Farnam

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 647 posts

Posted 21 June 2019 - 07:12 AM

Thoughts Anyone ;

Currently working with a builder who uses a base plans with several different exteriors for the same floor plan.

Builder would like to make changes to the base plan as needed for customers and have all changes reflected

on the new plan set. The question would be, what would be the easiest and afford the lowest margin of error to

implement the changes with the options being;  1) Using the building options feature and custom visibility when

generating the revised plan set, or 2) leaving the default base plan intact and then doing a save project as ( New

Customers Name) and make the changes within the newly assigned project keeping the base plan unchanged.

My concern is the possible designation of building options and layers being assigned to the drawings which may

effect the base plans future accuracy if using the Building Options approach.

#2 Jason Bishop

Jason Bishop

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 294 posts

Posted 21 June 2019 - 07:20 AM

I have a lot of builders that do this. I find it much easier to have each house set as a “stock” project with the Elevation “A” or “B”, etc. labeled.
IE: Azalea A
Azalea B
Etc.....
Each house is it’s on Project even though the Floor Plan May be he same.
When a customer job comes in, I create a Customer project under that Builders folder and then copy the pertinent files from whatever house type they are building. It’s worked great for the past 20 years with no issues.
  • Steve and Carla Farnam likes this

#3 Kevin Rabenaldt

Kevin Rabenaldt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 391 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio

Posted 21 June 2019 - 07:39 AM

I also use the method of creating a project folder for each plan or client.  I copy the files needed into the Project folder and modify as needed.  I make a note in the Project Folder as to where the plan originated.  You can do that with a note on the base floor plan and is set to "no print".  Many times the builder will say, I want to use the house at certain address as the new base and then they will list the changes.  Much easlier to keep everything straight.  I also went to using the address as the Project Folder name with the builder's name.  I may create a detail in a new project that I may want to use again.  When that happens I create a symbol, a speed note, etc and/or I copy and paste in a series of Project Folders that I keep related to the symbol.  For instance, I have Projects named, B-Exteriors, B-Cabinets, B-Beams and Columns, B-Framing, etc.  I use B- so I can quickly find where I have all my Project Folders for this purpose.

#4 Steve Haarmann

Steve Haarmann

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 643 posts

Posted 21 June 2019 - 07:44 AM

Building options are the way to go if your builder wants to have the plans and elevations in a compact file.

Building options are somewhat complicated to set up but once done you simply toggle through the options as needed.

The advantage is the parts of the plan that are NOT changed are the same for each version.

Then, if you make a change to one of those parts it will carry across to all versions.

If the buyer wants to make changes to the plan then you can do the 'save project as' to create a new copy.

Toggle on the basic options as desired and then make changes as needed for the buyer.

The downside to making numerous files for different elevation and plan versions is that if you start to make changes to base plans then you have to make the same change everywhere.

• David Zawadzki likes this

#5 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,092 posts
  • LocationBrockville, Ontario, Canada

Posted 21 June 2019 - 10:27 AM

Another option and one that I actually prefer, as it's reasonably foolproof, is to use a mixture of the two methods.

What I mean by that is to use building options, but DON'T draw anything on the default building option. Put the whole plan on building option 1 (named to suit) and then copy everything into building option 2 and make the necessary changes. and then copy everything to building option 3 ... you get the picture.

For me it gives the best of both worlds, as you don't get conflicts where default overlaps a building option, and every change in building option changes the complete project in one go. But everything is contained in one compact file

The downside is if you change a common item, it has to be changed on ALL variants ... but that can be applied via copy to clipboard and hold position, so it's not too onerous.

Keith

There are 10 types of people in this world ....... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Softplan user since version 5.5.2.5

www.homehardwarekingston.ca

#6 Tom Rogers

Tom Rogers

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,159 posts
  • LocationVilla Rica, Georgia

Posted 28 June 2019 - 09:16 AM

I use building options for all elevations and structural options.  Then each start gets it own project.  So at the end I will have a stock plan (only changes if something is global for all) and then lot specific for all starts

"remember... what we are building today, should be what we want in the future"​
Version 10 to Version 2024+ and beyond
www.residentialproductions.com

#7 Dennis Hilborn

Dennis Hilborn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 816 posts
  • LocationDFW Texas

Posted 28 June 2019 - 11:23 AM

Not sure which way is best yet but...

I have prototype plans  Each different plan is it's own project.

Each project has it's own options.  Some of them are similar to other houses some are not.

A builder sends me a copy of the contract "want" list.

I copy the prototype that the customer picked.  Now the customer's house is a new project on it's own and I can make any customization that they ask for.  At this point that file is completely divorced from the prototype.

The prototype is never edited or customized unless it is a permanent change.

#8 Steve and Carla Farnam

Steve and Carla Farnam

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 647 posts

Posted 28 June 2019 - 01:09 PM

Thanks for all the input, it is appreciated!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users