Photo

How to "ditch or reverse dormer" a roof?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Dennis Hilborn

Dennis Hilborn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 816 posts
  • LocationDFW Texas

Posted 03 July 2019 - 02:01 PM

I have a 12/12 roof that I need to cut out a rectangular section and add a 5/12 shed roof to add a window.  Around here we call it "ditching" I have heard it called a reverse dormer.

I can cut the hole in the roof but CAN NOT figure out how to apply the shed roof that fits in the hole.

Adding a shed roof is pretty hit or miss for me anyway, most of the time it slopes the wrong direction.

#2 Kevin Rabenaldt

Kevin Rabenaldt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 391 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio

Posted 03 July 2019 - 03:34 PM

There may be techniques others use, but I always use beams and walls to reference roof edges.  If needed you can use designate hidden under edit of the wall or beam so that it does not show on the floor plan printouts.

#3 Dennis Hilborn

Dennis Hilborn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 816 posts
  • LocationDFW Texas

Posted 03 July 2019 - 06:58 PM

Ah, you're right.  I didn't think about using hidden beams.  I'll try that in the morning.  Thanks for the reminder.

#4 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,098 posts
  • LocationBrockville, Ontario, Canada

Posted 03 July 2019 - 07:36 PM

So you want to add the dormer sort of under the roof finish? Doesn't that lead to water problems?

Keith

There are 10 types of people in this world ....... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Softplan user since version 5.5.2.5

www.homehardwarekingston.ca

#5 Mark Petri

Mark Petri

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,509 posts
  • LocationEvergreen, CO

Posted 23 July 2019 - 10:39 AM

You can leave the existing roof for the moment, select "draw dormer" and add in the specifics of the window and wall definition you want to use, then place the dormer. It will not always do exactly as you want, but it's a place to start. Then, go in and adjust the walls and opening as you want it. Then, adjust the roof to be how you want the shed roof to look (overhangs, soffit, fascia, etc. if not already as you want it). Then, right click on the new shed roof and select "apply hole" to cut a hole in the 12/12 roof.

Mark Petri

Petri Building and Design

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users