8 replies to this topic

#1 Kristopher Morris

Kristopher Morris

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • LocationIssaquah, WA

Posted 17 July 2019 - 09:47 AM

I have a tall great room that has a lower plate wing off of it.

In the past I have stacked 2 walls in the past so that I have exterior siding above the lower section

and drywall inside.

Is there a better way to create this?

I have no upper floor....

Pictures are just an example:

Exterior

Attached File  Exterior.JPG   116.08KB   2 downloads

Interior

Attached File  Interior.JPG   32.97KB   1 downloads

Thanks for any help!!!

#2 Brent Hyndman

Brent Hyndman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,549 posts

Posted 17 July 2019 - 12:52 PM

How is it built?

Would it be a wall stacked on a beam or an Arch cut into the tall wall that would allow access to the bump-out?

#3 Kristopher Morris

Kristopher Morris

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • LocationIssaquah, WA

Posted 17 July 2019 - 02:19 PM

Hi Brent,

The great room wall will be full height studs with an opening into master suite.

It looks fine for exterior purposes but for interior elevations I need drywall.

I have cut the wall before and put an interior wall at standard ht and stacked an exterior wall above it.

But I see a seam on the outside then....

#4 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,092 posts
  • LocationBrockville, Ontario, Canada

Posted 17 July 2019 - 06:22 PM

What is the wall definition? Not sure why it doesn't show an interior finish.

If it is a "TALL" wall, then you should draw it as a tall wall. Draw it how they would build it!

Keith

There are 10 types of people in this world ....... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Softplan user since version 5.5.2.5

www.homehardwarekingston.ca

#5 Kristopher Morris

Kristopher Morris

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • LocationIssaquah, WA

Posted 18 July 2019 - 08:35 AM

Hi Keith,

that is what I did in the example I attached.

My problem is how do I get drywall below the lower roof inside and siding above the the lower roof drawing it as one wall?

I guess the question should be " Does SP recognize that it is interior vs exterior and auto change the material?

Thanks for the replies so far!

#6 Kevin Rabenaldt

Kevin Rabenaldt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 391 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio

Posted 18 July 2019 - 09:40 AM

I think your question hinges on what type of framing you are doing.  Tall walls should be split up to get away from balloon framing.  With that in mind your options on how to draw in SP opens up.

#7 Philip Frank

Philip Frank

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 559 posts
  • LocationMaine, USA

Posted 18 July 2019 - 09:51 AM

What if you split that tall wall into 3 seperate walls (one left of the bumpout, one right of the bumpout and one the width of the bumpout)? Now create a new wall definition that utilizes the "Transition" function with drywall on the lower portion of the transition wall and siding on the upper part. Assign the new wall definition to the middle wall and adjust the Transition to the top plate of the bumpout.

• Brent Hyndman likes this

#8 Mark Petri

Mark Petri

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,497 posts
  • LocationEvergreen, CO

Posted 23 July 2019 - 06:52 PM

That is one of the frustrations with SP. It will not do a great job of showing drywall below (with a vaulted ceiling) and siding at the sides and above without making a mess of something. If you use a transition in a wall definition the transition will not follow the vaulted ceiling (I believe). If you use two walls, the upper wall could be set to fit to roof (while only referencing the roof below), but the connections to the neighboring walls will get messy. With the use of an opening (custom pointed arch) and then insetting a drywall wall, it will look okay, but not be as it should be for framing and "how you would build it". You could do one wall with framing and interior drywall on the great room side. Then do a second wall of just drywall to fit the master bedroom side vault. Then a third wall to be the siding and sheathing with a pointed arch cut to fit the walls/roof of the master bump. Then you have to adjust all the joining settings to get it to stay the way you want. So, you are kind of stuck with picking which is the lesser of the evils and working with it.

Mark Petri

Petri Building and Design

#9 Jon Churchill

Jon Churchill

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 420 posts
  • LocationThe Oaks, Australia

Posted 23 July 2019 - 08:27 PM

Have you tried room or interior mode, this allows you to paint the walls to look like Gyproc (drywall) ? For the triangle in the gable ceiling use a roof plane and draw it in 3D, make sure it is set to a roof material you are not using on this drawing.. Then copy and paste the wall texture.

Adding the cornice (Crown Molding ) is a bit tricky can be added in 3D by drawing a profile.

Jon

Attached Files

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users