#1 Allen McDonnell

Allen McDonnell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 955 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 24 July 2019 - 09:17 AM

Softplan, can you add in more material options for Board and Batten like you have for siding?  I am running into plans that are calling for multiple colors of board and batten.  I know a work-a-round but for those using softlist this would be the preferred option.  Just to make sure i am clear here is what i am asking.

Currently in the wall definition material category we have options for Siding A, B, C, D, E.

Can you do something similar for Board and Batten that would look something like Board and Batten A, B, C, D, E

Thanks for the consideration.

Attached Files

• Mark Petri, David Zawadzki and Denis Reis like this

#2 Jon Davis

Jon Davis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 541 posts

Posted 26 July 2019 - 03:15 PM

That's a great idea.

• Allen McDonnell likes this

#3 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,096 posts
  • LocationBrockville, Ontario, Canada

Posted 26 July 2019 - 05:46 PM

Sidings A - E can be either horizontal OR board and batten on a project by project basis. You don't need different types for both, just edit your wall definition to suit.

Keith

There are 10 types of people in this world ....... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Softplan user since version 5.5.2.5

www.homehardwarekingston.ca

#4 Jon Davis

Jon Davis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 541 posts

Posted 28 July 2019 - 02:37 PM

That works, but in the case of one of my files, where I'm building a street scape with multiple houses with different colors of B&B and siding having more than 5 choices would be nice.

However in most cases, I'd never need that many. 

#5 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,096 posts

Posted 28 July 2019 - 04:44 PM

If your streetscape is done in neighbourhood, then each house can have a different finish on the siding. So on house 1, Siding A can be red, and on house 2, Siding A can be blue. They each have independent material texture files.

• Warren Ducote likes this
Keith

There are 10 types of people in this world ....... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

#6 Jon Davis

Jon Davis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 541 posts

Posted 29 July 2019 - 06:56 AM

What is Neighborhood? Is that a mode you can draw in?

#7 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,096 posts

Posted 01 August 2019 - 06:49 PM

Neighbourhood is a method of adding MULTIPLE INDEPENDENT projects into a OVERALL project.

For instance if you were doing a housing development of say 50 individual homes, If you draw the site plan in neighbourhood, you can bring into a single model 50 individual "house type" projects and add them to the the site plan. Each one keeps the textures that it was designed with in it's own project file, totally independent of ALL other projects, so you can mix colours without having to change the types of siding etc. used on each individual project.

• Jon Davis likes this
Keith

#8 Jon Davis

Jon Davis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 541 posts

Posted 02 August 2019 - 06:22 AM

Neighbourhood is a method of adding MULTIPLE INDEPENDENT projects into a OVERALL project.

For instance if you were doing a housing development of say 50 individual homes, If you draw the site plan in neighbourhood, you can bring into a single model 50 individual "house type" projects and add them to the the site plan. Each one keeps the textures that it was designed with in it's own project file, totally independent of ALL other projects, so you can mix colours without having to change the types of siding etc. used on each individual project.

That's awesome! Is that part of regular SP or SP+?

#9 Tom Rogers

Tom Rogers

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,159 posts
  • LocationVilla Rica, Georgia

Posted 19 August 2019 - 07:28 PM

Keith-Have you ever tried using neighborhood for Townhomes?  I am currently doing it with building options but wonder if that way may be better?

"remember... what we are building today, should be what we want in the future"​
Version 10 to Version 2024+ and beyond
www.residentialproductions.com

#10 Jon Churchill

Jon Churchill

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 421 posts
  • LocationThe Oaks, Australia

Posted 19 August 2019 - 11:14 PM

Neighbourthood is the way to go. Just leave each additional house in the mode you want to display, it in the main project, eg, Roof Mode. Here is a 12 house project.

Site Mode > Model > Neighbourhood

Jon

Attached Files

• Tom Rogers, Brent Hyndman and Jon Davis like this

#11 Jon Davis

Jon Davis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 541 posts

Posted 20 August 2019 - 06:33 AM

Jon what kind of computer are you running to handle that 3D model? My laptop struggles with just 4, and sometimes depending on level of detail, struggles with just 

a normal model.

#12 Jon Churchill

Jon Churchill

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 421 posts
  • LocationThe Oaks, Australia

Posted 20 August 2019 - 02:50 PM

Jon,

I use a desktop machine. i7 -3820 3.60 GHx with 16G Ram and a GTX570 video card. It is nearly 10 years old. I can move this 3D nearly as fast as moving the mouse.

Remember laptops are always slower than the comparable desktop as they are power conscious, even when plugged in.

Many of my customers ask about using a laptop and I say if you do not need one do not buy one. Do not get me wrong they have their place, if you need portability they are great.

Jon

• Jon Davis likes this

#13 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,096 posts

Posted 20 August 2019 - 03:12 PM

Couldn't agree more.

Keith

#14 Jon Davis

Jon Davis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 541 posts

Posted 21 August 2019 - 06:32 AM

Yeah I've been talking to my boss about that. 

#15 Dennis Hilborn

Dennis Hilborn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 816 posts
  • LocationDFW Texas

Posted 21 August 2019 - 07:07 AM

The video processors are also often much slower than desktop units and not usually upgradeable.  SP or any program running 3D is VERY heavy work for the video processor.

#16 Tom Rogers

Tom Rogers

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,159 posts
  • LocationVilla Rica, Georgia

Posted 12 September 2019 - 12:23 PM

Neighbourthood is the way to go. Just leave each additional house in the mode you want to display, it in the main project, eg, Roof Mode. Here is a 12 house project.

Site Mode > Model > Neighbourhood

Jon

Thanks Jon.  I have not used neighborhood yet but I need to really relook at it for Townhomes.  I am sure that is just going to open up a lot more questions as I go.  

"remember... what we are building today, should be what we want in the future"​
Version 10 to Version 2024+ and beyond
www.residentialproductions.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users