11 replies to this topic

#1 Jon Davis

Jon Davis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 541 posts

Posted 01 August 2019 - 07:03 AM

I need to extend the top of my walls on the second floor @ the gable end up about 16"

I added a top of structure level to the model, and was going to draw my wall on that level, so that it sits above.

However when you check the box to rake the top of the wall, there are no parameters to enter like there are for

raking the bottom of a wall...

Attached Files

#2 Mark Petri

Mark Petri

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,505 posts
  • LocationEvergreen, CO

Posted 01 August 2019 - 07:27 AM

It might be best to put the parapet walls on a new drawing to stack on top of the top floor of your current model with it's own little roofs for the parapet cap. Then, you can rake the bottom and the top can fit to roof. Or. you need to draw each parapet as a single slope segment where you rake the top and the bottom in the wall edit menu. The biggest issue will be how the walls look when textured. It might be best to move the whole gable wall from your ceiling line up on both sides to the new drawing, then only rake the top to the roof. Again, with your chimney being separate it may work, but it may get ugly.

Mark Petri

Petri Building and Design

#3 Jon Davis

Jon Davis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 541 posts

Posted 01 August 2019 - 07:43 AM

Yeah I've already got a separate drawing that the chimney's are on, stacked on the top. 

I really don't want to draw it w/ the parapet, but the Architect in charge of the review board for this neighborhood is probably going to want to see it that way. Maybe not...  He didn't say anything about it on the first submittal, but that doesn't mean he won't on the second submittal.

This is how it looks right now...  The parapets probably fit this style of architecture and will probably look better in the end... 

Attached Files

#4 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,094 posts
  • LocationBrockville, Ontario, Canada

Posted 01 August 2019 - 10:27 AM

I'd just draw a cathedral ceiling over the whole thing, fit wall to ceiling and then remove the ceiling from extract in model ... or even better customize the ceiling to form the cap on the top of the parapet walls.

Keith

There are 10 types of people in this world ....... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Softplan user since version 5.5.2.5

www.homehardwarekingston.ca

#5 Jon Davis

Jon Davis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 541 posts

Posted 01 August 2019 - 11:21 AM

Well, I've got it halfway working at the moment, with a stacked wall on a level above.

Rake the bottom and enter parameters, and do the same for the top. I remembered that when you rake a top, you can click on "multiple wall height" and enter

your own parameters. I'm getting a nasty looking line though at the transition. I wich SP had a graphical "blend" feature like Revit.

Attached Files

#6 Brent Hyndman

Brent Hyndman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,549 posts

Posted 01 August 2019 - 12:42 PM

I may be missing something here but if you fit the wall to the roof, you can add height to the wall through the 'Multi Height' field beside 'Wall Height'. Will that do what you were originally asking for?

• Tim Stockton likes this

#7 Jon Davis

Jon Davis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 541 posts

Posted 01 August 2019 - 12:46 PM

Well, it took me a little while and a LOT of trial & error, but I have something that works. 

Attached Files

• JEREMY MILLER likes this

#8 Jon Davis

Jon Davis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 541 posts

Posted 02 August 2019 - 07:32 AM

Update, met with the Architect this morning. He really liked all the changes I made. Was happy with what I've got. He had 2 changes, make my frieze board taller,

And add the flat "steps" I'll call them, to the ends of the parapet walls...

So here's what I'm submitting to him and the ARB for approval.

Attached Files

#9 Mark Petri

Mark Petri

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,505 posts
  • LocationEvergreen, CO

Posted 05 August 2019 - 12:03 PM

Jon,

I am interested in what your final solution was. Please share when you have time.

Thanks,

Mark

Mark Petri

#10 Jon Davis

Jon Davis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 541 posts

Posted 05 August 2019 - 01:14 PM

Jon,

I am interested in what your final solution was. Please share when you have time.

Thanks,

Mark

I created a wall type form the 2X4/Brick wall, and just made the stud 1" thick. This allowed me align the inside of the walls with each other and create the correct thickness I wanted to show in 3D. Then I added a concrete material cap to the wall type and made it wide enough so that when I aligned the walls together it has a 2" overhang on each side. That way it draws the cap with the wall, and there's no need to try to create it separately. 

When I aligned properly they appear as 1 structure in the 3D model. I created a drawing called "top of structure" and put the walls there. Then checked "Rake top" and clicked the multi height button and entered some random numbers to just get started...  then tweaked it until I had it just right. 

So If you look really close in the side view you can see where the brick texture is misaligned where the wall type changes... this is only noticeable if you zoom in. 

The flat wall is 24" long, 24" tall. Then I started a new wall connected to that 2' tall on the left end, and 12' tall on the right end, and it gave me very close to the 9/12 pitch to match the roof. 

Attached Files

• JEREMY MILLER and Tom Rogers like this

#11 Jon Davis

Jon Davis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 541 posts

Posted 05 August 2019 - 01:17 PM

Here's the wall type...

Attached Files

#12 Mark Petri

Mark Petri

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,505 posts
  • LocationEvergreen, CO

Posted 07 August 2019 - 08:27 AM

Nice job Jon! Thanks for sharing your solution. If only we could get the textures to map exactly as we want them and align to the neighboring textures.

Mark Petri

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users