12 replies to this topic

#1 Dave Pazyniak

Dave Pazyniak

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 402 posts

Posted 12 August 2019 - 07:20 AM

Working with a client and generating his first full set of con docs in softplan, with far more detail than I typically include in my renderings or con docs.  Our model looks great, but there is a lot of work around items, mostly solids to fix softplan (or user) issues that we did not have time to work through.  We will be using annotated model views in our con docs.  I think on our next project, once the design is nailed down, I will have copy floor plans, with one for the model, and one for the con docs.  I am spending a lot of time setting items to look right in the plan AND in the model by using layers and drawing modes.  Is having 2 plan drawings a common practice?  Or is there a better way to coordinate the look of the model and the plan drawings?

Any input would be appreciated!

Thanks,

Dave

#2 Henry Buckner

Henry Buckner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 342 posts

Posted 12 August 2019 - 07:28 AM

In the past I've kept a separate set sometimes for the model, but I haven't needed to do that since V 18.

#3 Mark Petri

Mark Petri

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,497 posts
  • LocationEvergreen, CO

Posted 12 August 2019 - 07:29 AM

I personally feel it is best to keep everything in one model and use that with drawing modes, building options, and layers to show what you want for your con docs. It is unfortunate to have to use so many solids for things to look right in 3D, but it will be best if you can find the ways to work with the program as much as possible to correctly build the model just as you would in the field. Then, when it comes to work-arounds there are several options and ways to achieve the results you want. It is always amazing to get feedback from others on this site and find new ways to work out solutions. For me, I find a lot of times I get things close and then either bring in items as solids (like you mention) or create parts in SketchUp and import as symbols.

-Mark

Mark Petri

Petri Building and Design

#4 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,092 posts
  • LocationBrockville, Ontario, Canada

Posted 12 August 2019 - 10:14 AM

Yes, my model drawings ARE my construction drawings.

Keith

There are 10 types of people in this world ....... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Softplan user since version 5.5.2.5

www.homehardwarekingston.ca

#5 Denis Reis

Denis Reis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 12 August 2019 - 01:17 PM

Yes, my model drawings ARE my construction drawings.

Same here!

#6 Rick Kingsbury

Rick Kingsbury

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts
  • LocationSpearfish, SD

Posted 12 August 2019 - 04:08 PM

Same here!

#7 Thomas Roman

Thomas Roman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 341 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 12 August 2019 - 10:37 PM

We put all the "model only" objects onto a seperate layer.. Things like high transom windows, polygon solids, and such.. That way it's all there for the model,
and we can just turn that all off for the floor plans..
Similarly, we can place objects in the plan, and uncheck "extract in 3D", so they will appear in the plan but not the 3D..
Doing that, we've been able to avoid separate model and floor plan files..
  • Bernard Toews and Heath Foster like this

#8 Dave Pazyniak

Dave Pazyniak

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 402 posts

Posted 13 August 2019 - 05:51 AM

Thanks, Thomas.  I guess I just need to be more aware of keeping the plans "clean" while finalizing the model.  I even have situations where I need one wall on the plan but a different wall on the model to occupy the same space because of how the clean up on the plan vs. the model...

#9 Jon Davis

Jon Davis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 541 posts

Posted 13 August 2019 - 06:48 AM

As far as the floor plan, yes... but generally I create the 2D version of the elevations and modify them. 

#10 Dennis Hilborn

Dennis Hilborn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 816 posts
  • LocationDFW Texas

Posted 13 August 2019 - 07:31 AM

Mine are except for two things.  If the roof is so complicated and I've had to fudge to get it to work or if I've got to send out a cad file since the model won't produce line work, hopefull that that will change soon.

#11 Jon Davis

Jon Davis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 541 posts

Posted 13 August 2019 - 10:24 AM

Mine are except for two things.  If the roof is so complicated and I've had to fudge to get it to work or if I've got to send out a cad file since the model won't produce line work, hopefull that that will change soon.

You can created a 2D line work version of the birdseye view from the model really easy... If that's what you're referring to.

#12 Dennis Hilborn

Dennis Hilborn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 816 posts
  • LocationDFW Texas

Posted 13 August 2019 - 12:56 PM

You can created a 2D line work version of the birdseye view from the model really easy... If that's what you're referring to.

No, it's also the elevations.  If you don't save them as SP drawings you don't get linework if you export to dwg.  I don't do foundations or wind load calc's. so the engineer needs the lines.

#13 Mark Beard

Mark Beard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 13 August 2019 - 12:57 PM

I  keep my floor plans as active models, aka live drawings, and only save out 2D elevations, roof plan, details, etc., once I have approval from annotated elevations showing the overall intent.  I feel that saves a lot of time on the front end and you can show enough detail and dimensions.  I always joke that when we start creating 2D line work we have reached the point of no return!!   :lol:

Mark Beard

LifeStage Home Designs
Office: 919.630.1224

Your future is in our plans

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users