4 replies to this topic

#1 Mike Adams

Mike Adams

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 28 September 2019 - 04:23 AM

I sent a question to SP Tech and it came back as being sent the development team.  I can only guess this means " we will work on it".  Has anyone found a way to extend the back of a return to line up with the corner post?

It is a minor thing in the big picture.

Thanks,

Mike

Attached Files

• Steven Wohlgemuth likes this

#2 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,092 posts
  • LocationBrockville, Ontario, Canada

Posted 28 September 2019 - 06:47 AM

The return is tied to the overhang ... So it you put a HIDDEN and NOT EXTRACTED IN MODEL beam over the top of the wall and reference the roof to the beam instead of the wall, adjusting the beam location ad the overhang will adjust the location of the back of the return. Not ideal but it can work.

The whole birdbox return needs to be re-thought ,,, we need some control, if a porch roof is cantilevered, you end up with a massive birdbox the whole depth of the cantilever, and they are never built like that. Personally I'd prefer a ROOF OPTION - DIMENSION for the birdbox, then you can make them any size you want, and consistent throughout the project, or - even better - the same length control we have for the HIP RETURNS.

• Michael Landry and Mike Adams like this
Keith

There are 10 types of people in this world ....... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Softplan user since version 5.5.2.5

www.homehardwarekingston.ca

#3 Steve Haarmann

Steve Haarmann

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 642 posts

Posted 28 September 2019 - 07:28 AM

I agree ! With the 12" overhang that we use the back of the bird box lines up about halfway between the side corner board.

I cannot do anything about it in 3d and have to align to edge on every one after generating the elevations.

With a large overhang it is just plain ugly!

#4 Mike Adams

Mike Adams

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 28 September 2019 - 09:16 AM

Thanks...

Keith and Steve well said.  

Maybe SP will look into it.

For now I will just keep explaining that the 2D will show it "right"

#5 ROBERT BROGAN

ROBERT BROGAN

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 29 September 2019 - 06:41 AM

couple things i do:

1st.    For quick 3d renderings - i "adjust" top of corner board to the soffit with the corner board  "offset" feature (trim / wall options).  It will get you by, and not so noticeable. 

2nd.    Is make/build a 3d cube to right size/location to fill in the "missing" segment.  copy current soffit texture (right click 3d model) then  paste texture to cube you made.  tidy up if you change any wall adjustments or offsets after your drawing is done.

I agree that we should be able to make adjustments to the birdbox corners.  Help Softplan.

Bob.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users