8 replies to this topic

#1 Dave Pazyniak

Dave Pazyniak

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 402 posts

Posted 30 September 2019 - 06:29 AM

I am drawing a house with a basement and an attached garage. I am drawing my basement walls at their correct height.  I am drawing the 2 courses of block for my garage, offset so it is 2' down from my finished first floor.  My model and my foundation plan look good.  I'd like to have my garage slab show 8" from the exterior of my garage walls, so on the plan view it would indicate the block ledge.  Even with clean up unchecked, the slab often snaps to walls as I adjust other sides of the slab.  Is the best way to accomplish this just use a line to indicate the block ledge, and have my slab on a layer that will render but not show on the plan?

Thanks for any suggestions...

#2 Dennis Asher

Dennis Asher

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 203 posts
  • LocationWillow Springs, Missouri

Posted 30 September 2019 - 06:36 AM

Sometimes I have to uncheck "cleanup" on the slab and then adjust the edges where I want them.

#3 Mark Petri

Mark Petri

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,498 posts
  • LocationEvergreen, CO

Posted 30 September 2019 - 07:27 AM

Also, consider moving the slab to a drawing where it only references the walls you want, or does not reference walls at all. Moving lollipops off the walls and far away can help sometimes. Most often I draw slabs with the foundations and uncheck clean up, but that sometimes isn't enough.

Mark Petri

Petri Building and Design

#4 Dave Pazyniak

Dave Pazyniak

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 402 posts

Posted 05 October 2019 - 07:17 AM

Mark, when you put the slabs on the foundation, do you show it with linework on the first floor plan?

#5 Mark Petri

Mark Petri

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,498 posts
  • LocationEvergreen, CO

Posted 07 October 2019 - 09:29 AM

Yes, if it is someplace that line work would be needed such as a patio or porch stoop. But, interior slabs often go to the walls, so no need to show it with any lines (most often). It also allows me to model only the foundation and concrete by having it all on one drawing. Most of the projects I work on are on sloped lots with crawl spaces, walk-out basements, stepped footings, multiple levels of slabs and foundation. I try to keep all the 3D modeled concrete on the foundation plan and copy and paste walls and piers to other plans where they would show, but turn off 3D extraction. That way it all is together. The only times I break it up and place it on different levels are when wall joins are messy and they keep cleaning up differently that I want because SP ignores un-checking clean up, etc. or when there is something extra somewhere in the plan that may end up being an option or needs to be separated from the rest.

Mark Petri

#6 Stephan Page

Stephan Page

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts
  • LocationMaine

Posted 27 March 2020 - 10:55 AM

Off topic, but i notice that a lot of folks on here refer to "lollipops" often.  As still being a newbie, what are you all talking about?

#7 Mark Petri

Mark Petri

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,498 posts
  • LocationEvergreen, CO

Posted 27 March 2020 - 11:36 AM

The non-printable circles that are used to reference edges of roofs, decks, floor systems, etc.

Mark Petri

#8 Philip Frank

Philip Frank

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 559 posts
  • LocationMaine, USA

Posted 28 March 2020 - 05:17 AM

I like to refer to them as "suction cups" because they stay attached to the walls or edges when the wall or edges are moved.

#9 Gary McKeon

Gary McKeon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 553 posts
  • LocationSilverton Oregon

Posted 28 March 2020 - 10:53 AM

I like to refer to them as "suction cups" because they stay attached to the walls or edges when the wall or edges are moved.

Until they don't...,

• Tom Rogers likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users