#1 Verlin Klassen

Verlin Klassen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 263 posts
  • LocationBirnie, Manitoba, Canada

Posted 10 October 2019 - 05:56 PM

We are planning to go away on a 2 year mission assignment and I am planning to draw part time while we are gone.

I've been thinking of switching to working off a laptop because of the portability and also looking for something faster than my desptop.

I told my computor tech what I was looking for and the suggestion he came up with is a Lenova 20MF000QUS also called a ThinkPad X1 Extreme. I've attached the specs below from my current desktop and the laptop he suggested. I am just looking for some opinions and/or advice before I take the plunge. I would have the option to take my desktop along if I decide it's too much money. It's more money than I hoped to spend, but????

In my current desktop I have a Nvidia GTX960 video card.

Also, I would be connecting one or both of my 27" 4K monitors to the laptop.

Attached Thumbnails

• Desktop Specs.JPG
  • Laptop Screen Shot.JPG

Verlin Klassen

Westman Drafting

#2 Kevin Rabenaldt

Kevin Rabenaldt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 391 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio

Posted 10 October 2019 - 06:35 PM

That has some awesome specs.  I am not a super tech person but that should do you quite well.  If you have Softplan + you will need the ability to connect to the SP server to keep the software license current.  Also, I don't like the fact that my laptop does not have the number keypad but maybe some laptops do.  Using the numbers at the top of the keyboard is not convenient.

#3 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,096 posts
  • LocationBrockville, Ontario, Canada

Posted 10 October 2019 - 07:32 PM

My personal preference for a Softplan Laptop would definitely be a 17" screen width, but apart from that the specs seem very good.

Keith

There are 10 types of people in this world ....... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Softplan user since version 5.5.2.5

www.homehardwarekingston.ca

#4 Gary McKeon

Gary McKeon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 557 posts
  • LocationSilverton Oregon

Posted 10 October 2019 - 08:13 PM

Take a look at MSI laptops. Some of the best around without the bloat ware and pricing is very good as well. The video card in that Lenovo is a tad on the lower end and is getting to be dated.

#5 Allen McDonnell

Allen McDonnell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 955 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 11 October 2019 - 08:33 AM

https://www.amazon.c...WAN77QV1R&psc=1

Take a look at this "renewed" razer from Amazon.  Renewed products from amazon come with 90 day warranty.  This is $1800, a new razer with these specs sells for $3300.

#6 Verlin Klassen

Verlin Klassen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 263 posts

Posted 11 October 2019 - 04:55 PM

Thank you all for your input. I appreciate it.

After doing a bunch of research today, this is the model I am seriously considering. It is a Lenovo on sale for $2874.00 CAD which converts to $2177.00 US. Regular price is $4094.00 CAD or $3100.00 US

Any further thoughts before I actually order?

Attached Thumbnails

• Think Pad P73 Specs.JPG

Verlin Klassen

Westman Drafting

#7 Steve Haarmann

Steve Haarmann

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 645 posts

Posted 12 October 2019 - 06:46 AM

Verlin, I feel your pain trying to select a notebook! Too many marketing ploys and not enough basic decision making tools.

The problem with your selection is the video. Softplan has always worked best using a discrete "gaming" video card.

While Nvidia is an excellent brand the Quadro video has always been a considered a "Cad" product best for AutoCad etc.

At one time there were serious incompatibilities with these cards.

Your best bet is Nvidia 10 or 20 series video cards.

I also prefer lighter machines - especially in the 17" size.

The Alienware gaming machines can be over 10lbs - a real pain when traveling.

I have both Asus and Msi notebooks and recommend both.

Yjis one from Asus is only 6.4 pounds and has great specs.

One further thought - gaming notebooks all advertise RGB color which might turn on a gamer but can be real pain for a designer.

Very distracting - make sure you can select a single color and preferably white for keyboard illumination.

Newegg.com has lots of notebooks. Here is one that looks good to me.

Attached Thumbnails

• asus.jpg

#8 Verlin Klassen

Verlin Klassen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 263 posts

Posted 12 October 2019 - 09:55 AM

Steve, Thank you so much for your helpful post. One thing I notice is that this model has Windows 10 Home, not Pro. Is that an issue to be concerned about?

Verlin Klassen

Westman Drafting

#9 Gary McKeon

Gary McKeon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 557 posts

Posted 12 October 2019 - 11:29 AM

Steve, Thank you so much for your helpful post. One thing I notice is that this model has Windows 10 Home, not Pro. Is that an issue to be concerned about?

No, "Home" is not an issue at all Verlin. I recently purchased an MSI through NewEgg and yes, it is a gaming machine because that is what Softplan works best with. The RGB colors that Steve was referring to are pretty cool.... for about 15 seconds. Then its a distraction. No problem turning all that stuff off though. This machine is lightweight, powerful and very solid. Quite happy with my decision. Video card is a big deal so the advice that Steve gave is right on. My thoughts are Asus or MSI will give you the best bang for the buck and are good solid machines. 

#10 Verlin Klassen

Verlin Klassen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 263 posts

Posted 07 January 2020 - 09:53 AM

I know this is awhile after the fact, but I want to report back on what I ended up doing. I purchased the ASUS ROG Strix Scar 11 that Steve suggested and have been very happy with it. It is way faster than my desktop and has no problem running my 2 4k 27" monitors. I have a large ongoing project that I started working on around the middle of 2018. It is a large file and with my desktop I had to wait evrytime I did something. I could have saved a lot of time if I would have had this machine sooner.

• Allen McDonnell likes this

Verlin Klassen

Westman Drafting

#11 Allen McDonnell

Allen McDonnell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 955 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 07 January 2020 - 09:58 AM

I know this is awhile after the fact, but I want to report back on what I ended up doing. I purchased the ASUS ROG Strix Scar 11 that Steve suggested and have been very happy with it. It is way faster than my desktop and has no problem running my 2 4k 27" monitors. I have a large ongoing project that I started working on around the middle of 2018. It is a large file and with my desktop I had to wait evrytime I did something. I could have saved a lot of time if I would have had this machine sooner.

Verlin, how about lag issues?  Specifically when hitting "d" for dimension and then selecting the first dimension.  How about "clean-ups"...relatively quick?

#12 Gary McKeon

Gary McKeon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 557 posts

Posted 07 January 2020 - 03:51 PM

Good for you Verlin!

#13 Verlin Klassen

Verlin Klassen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 263 posts

Posted 07 January 2020 - 05:32 PM

Verlin, how about lag issues?  Specifically when hitting "d" for dimension and then selecting the first dimension.  How about "clean-ups"...relatively quick?

I don't notice any lag issue. I would say cleanups are relatively quick.

• Allen McDonnell likes this

Verlin Klassen

Westman Drafting

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users