• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Warren Taylor

Warren Taylor

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 17 October 2019 - 02:05 PM

Hello - I've spent considerable time getting to the stage where the house is now.  I used autoroof got what was a reasonable roof line and started adjusting from there adding gales, false dormers etc.  When I did my birdseye elevation this "wood underlayment" showed in a triangle.  So then I looked and it does exist, is part of the roof and can be seen as a triangle in roof mode.  I went back to older files and the triangle was there with the autoroof command though difficult to see because it was surface covered in shingles but the triangle is there in roof mode.  I tried cleanup in roof mode, closed down, played the lollipops some but usually messed some other portion of roof.  I also tried hole in roof thinking I could erase the odd piece, but it only affects the roof under it. 

Any suggestions?  Really stumped on this one and not sure I'm skilled enough to build completely by hand.  Thanks for any suggestions.

Warren

Attached Thumbnails

• L house roof perspective 1.jpg
  • L House Roof Mode.png
  • L House roof perspective 2.jpg
  • L House Roof perspective 3.jpg

#2 Mark Petri

Mark Petri

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,505 posts
  • LocationEvergreen, CO

Posted 17 October 2019 - 02:21 PM

SoftPlan does not like offset ridges on the same roof. So, it is thinking it needs to fill that extra space. Sometimes moving the "lollipops" around will clean it up (which it appears you tried), sometimes you need to draw with more than one roof section. Sometimes, moving the "lollipops" off of the walls out to somewhere outside of the building helps. It is very frustrating with more complicated roofs. Also, checking and adjusting any wall plate heights that may be off can help. Looking at the plan view it seems you have roof edges that are sitting at different elevations which may be part of why you have all sorts of offset ridges and extra little "bumps" in the roof. It may be a result of the walls not aligning in the plan, but it also looks as if you have lower walls (green/blue color) and higher walls (purple color) that are causing roof eaves to shift, thus ridges to be different elevations. That may be the biggest problem. If you can get eaves and ridges aligned it may resolve itself.

If those lower walls are intentionally there, then drawing separate roofs at those areas may be worthwhile. Or, making sure eaves on either side of a hip or gable are at the same elevation will help. 

It may be worth saving the roof you've created as one option and try again with a few roofs pieced together where the odd offsets are.

Mark Petri

Petri Building and Design

#3 Chris Proost

Chris Proost

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
  • LocationRichmond, VA

Posted 17 October 2019 - 02:24 PM

If you just want to get it off of your 3D model turn off the visibilty of the roof sheathing. I know that doesnt solve the problem but it makes the problem go away. :)

• Allen McDonnell likes this

#4 Warren Taylor

Warren Taylor

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 17 October 2019 - 02:28 PM

Thanks Mark and Chris.  I tried the lollipops some more, with finer movement and got the weird triangle to go away.  But, did not realize the wall color indication.  All should be the same so will check that next.  Thanks for the tips again.

Warren

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Roof

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users