#1 Edward Shannon

Edward Shannon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  • LocationDes Moines, Iowa

Posted 18 October 2019 - 07:40 AM

I have had limited success with modelling a site plan.  Many times, I do not have a survey, so I "wing it" estimating contour lines and trying to get something "close enough" for a 3-D presentation.  I inform my clients that I am not responsible for site improvements, unless they get a topo survey.  Most opt out. 

I now have a high end client on a very steep site and he did commission a topo survey.  I have modelled the site (a laborious process) but have many questions as to how SP users use the site in their model? 

Right away I see a challenge as the building's "plan north" is about 15 degrees off of true north.  Not sure if I have to rotate the entire site?  Or is there a way to reconcile the floor plans with the site plan and show the floor plans oriented at "plan North" and the site plan oriented at "True North".

So, what methods have users found to best utilize the site plan in 3-D? 

Edward J Shannon, ArCH/NCARB/LEED GA

#2 David Zawadzki

David Zawadzki

Boss

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 660 posts
  • LocationBoise, Idaho

Posted 18 October 2019 - 08:52 AM

Will this video help you?

https://youtu.be/TW4yVRP6Lm8
  • John Jones and Edward Shannon like this
Award winning Design+Builder with over 40 years of construction experience. Homes built in Michigan, Utah and Idaho. Construction projects in CA, AZ, NV, ID, UT, NE, MO, NM, FL, GA, NY, and MI.

https://idahocustomhomes.weebly.com/

Twinmotion 2024, Autocad, SoftPlan 2024, Solidbuilder, Chief Architect X15, Sketchup, 3D Home Architect, etc.

CyberPowerPC Syber Forti SFG9EX Gaming Desktop Computer, Intel Core i9-9900K 3.6GHz, 32GB RAM, 3TB HDD + 1TB SSD, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 10GB, Windows 10 Pro

.Disclaimer: I'm not saying I'm Superman. All I am saying is no one has seen Superman and me in the same room together.<p><p>

Softplan user since 1989

#3 Edward Shannon

Edward Shannon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 18 October 2019 - 11:04 AM

Thanks David! I will take a look at this over the weekend!  

• David Zawadzki likes this

#4 Ron Sirolli

Ron Sirolli

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 262 posts

Posted 19 October 2019 - 10:43 AM

Dave if you scan a site plan it seams that you can not edit like the video i watch this vidio about 4 or 5 times but i can not get to work

Thanks Ron 

#5 Jon Davis

Jon Davis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 541 posts

Posted 21 October 2019 - 06:09 AM

Scanning one in wouldn't work as the process is based off layers on the PDF. Even a PDF created and sent to you directly won't work

if it's not set up properly. 

#6 Ron Sirolli

Ron Sirolli

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 262 posts

Posted 21 October 2019 - 03:50 PM

Thanks Jon not sure how to figure that i never used the site mode i am trying to do this for my Son so i could save some money 

#7 Jon Davis

Jon Davis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 541 posts

Posted 22 October 2019 - 05:59 AM

The easiest thing is If you could get your hands on the CAD drawing from the engineer. You can import that and convert the lines to softplan site lines w/ the click of a button.

#8 Edward Shannon

Edward Shannon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 23 October 2019 - 09:51 AM

I have viewed 45 minute the vid twice (and have replayed numerous portions) and am still struggling to get this thing right!  I spent about 15 minutes on the phone with tech support and had to beg them to not just give me a written response, but let me work through some of these things while being on the phone!  So here is my latest.  I have modelled all the existing grade lines and wish to alter some.  Tech support said I can add "New" Grade lines.  I did this.  However there is no way (as far as I can tell) to "remove" the altered existing grade line?!  I'm not sure why they have "New" and "Existing" grade lines if they don't mean anything? 

A. How do others show this graphically?  Normally altered grade lins would be shown dashed

B. How does one alter an existing grade line.  Is there a way to "Break the polyline? Must I redraw each altered existing grade line, thus making them "new" when if nace they are existing?  Something is not working right here.  

Attached Files

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users